that funny feeling

This is a discussion on that funny feeling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone else get that feeling of confidence while carrying concealed after going to the range, and just when carrying concealed in general. I notice ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: that funny feeling

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

that funny feeling

Does anyone else get that feeling of confidence while carrying concealed after going to the range, and just when carrying concealed in general. I notice I am more outgoing and more confident/outgoing while in public when i am carrying concealed after going to the range.
    Last edited by INccwchris; July 11th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I dont feel any bolder, but i do feel prepared... i find myself feeling more unprepared when i cannot carry (such as at work or on my way home from work) and actually go home first before running my errands to grocery store, getting gas, etc. I feel carrying does give me a feeling of confidence.... confidence knowing i have options other than being a victim if the **** ever hit the fan... so in that respect, i do have to agree with you. Hopefully none of us will ever have to use it. Bunker

I do......kinda. I'm by no means bolder or more outgoing, I just feel better about my 'skills' after actually working on something and seeing improvment....or just having felt the 'buck' of a firearm recoiling after punching holes in cardboard and paper. I tend to feel better when I work on my SA and notice most of what's going on around me.

Of course, this conifidence makes me feel better about myself, especially when I get home and start working on chores and my wife's hunny-do list.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Does anyone else get that feeling of confidence while carrying concealed after going to the range, and just when carrying concealed in general. I notice I am more outgoing and more confident and bold while in public when i am carrying concealed
    Um...................No!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Feeling bold? Not really, not any more than feeling bold because I have my wallet with me.
    My watch, my wallet, my firearm, my cell phone, etc., are all a part of a normal day's equipment for survival.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Does anyone else get that feeling of confidence while carrying concealed after going to the range, and just when carrying concealed in general. I notice I am more outgoing and more confident and bold while in public when i am carrying concealed
    No, not at all.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Prepared yes. Bold, not so much.If anything I'm less emboldened, because I don 't want the hassle of dealing with sheep or authorities when armed even if in the right.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Bold? No. Confident? No. I view my concealed carry as just another piece of my Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), just like my hard-hat, safety glasses, gloves and steel-toe boots.
    Molon Labe

actually, I become more reserved. I tend to stay away from "known" trouble spots.....Like almost anywhere downtown.

And when in public I keep my head on a swivel.

I tend to drive more conservatively also, Just to avoid any kind of road rage idiot.

However, I have been in a couple of "incidents" where I was unable to "escape" and having a firearm made me prepared, not bold. When you have confidence and you stand up for yourself, you would be surprised how fast a "bully" will back off and you really don't have to do or say much of anything at all.....just stare at them
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Moderator
    No.

And I'm not sure it should be that way either. In my humble opinion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Prepared yes. Bold, not so much.If anything I'm less emboldened, because I don 't want the hassle of dealing with sheep or authorities when armed even if in the right.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Feeling bold? Not really, not any more than feeling bold because I have my wallet with me.
    My watch, my wallet, my firearm, my cell phone, etc., are all a part of a normal day's equipment for survival.
    ^^^^^WHAT THEY SAID^^^^^^^^^^

I feel better prepared to deal with something should it ever arise.
    Do I drive home, way more humble, and less agressive than I used to? Yes.
    I am constantly looking for ways out it something goes boom. Thats all.

Can anyone tell me what a benefit of a doubt is really worth?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I feel a bit more confident, but am a lot calmer, overall. While I've never been a Road Rager, I was a highly agressive driver - to the point of flipping people my I.Q. in the past... - when someone would cut me off or be driving below the speed limit.

Now that I carry, however, I'm much less agressive and somewhat more relaxed - even when not immediately armed (I'm Military and can't bring a POF on-base) to- and from work. My SA is just as high whether I'm currently CCing or not, but I'm no longer one of those Farging Icehole Drivers like I used to be.

I've always been a fairly outgoing person, so don't feel any "bolder" in that regard. I've always been pretty confident when it comes to public dealings and in my thoughts of what constitutes moral right in defense of myself, my family and others - and have read up on the law. That doesn't mean I feel that I'm a Junior LEO or something like that, just that I've read up on the law and feel that in some instances it would be within my rights to defend another person by drawing my firearm in their defense, should I feel it required - mitigating circumstances not withstanding, of course.

When it comes to my interactions, tho, I'm much more polite than I used to be - and I was already the epitome of courtesy. I've never felt a need to be a jagoff to someone just because they're a bit rude when I can smile in the face of their adversity and likely make them that much more of a jagoff. :D
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Carrying a gun should not make you feel "bold". It should make you feel "safe". Carrying a gun does not enable us to do anything but defend our lives. When I carry (all the time), I am safe, and I am also polite. I realize a stupid argument could escalate and I might then be forced to defend myself. Carrying the power of Death on your side changes your attitude quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    actually, I become more reserved. I tend to stay away from "known" trouble spots.....Like almost anywhere downtown.

And when in public I keep my head on a swivel.

I tend to drive more conservatively also, Just to avoid any kind of road rage idiot.
    I have also become much more reserved, avoiding certain people, places, and things, driving more conservatively, and I don't drink alcohol when I go out anymore. As a matter of fact, I don't drink at home anymore either. Another great unanticipated affect of carrying...I basically have quit drinking alcohol all together.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't drink when I'm out and about unless I'm not armed - which is RARE, pretty much only when in uniform and I can't drink except w/in a very fine line when in uniform anyhow. When I'm home, I limit myself to no more than one drink - and that's only after I've put my firearm in my gun safe - and then I usually have that with a meal. If I keep myself to just one drink, after about an hour I will return my firearm to the holster on my belt.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links