Other States Revoking Permits

This is a discussion on Other States Revoking Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, Can another state revoke a permit not issued by that state? For example, I have a VA permit and if I carry some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other States Revoking Permits

Just curious,

Can another state revoke a permit not issued by that state?

For example, I have a VA permit and if I carry some where in North Carolina where by penalty of law I am supposed to have my permit revoked, can NC revoke my VA permit?

I don't see how they could. They would probably contact your state and request that your permit be revoked.

I don't see how that would work either. Also to add to your question though, is it a place in your home state were it's an auto-revoke, or a place in the visiting state thats an auto-revock?

If I have an AZ permint and am in XZ were carrying in a public building is an auto-revoke (which is not a an auto-revoke in AZ) I don't see AZ auto-revoking it based on another states request because I didn't break AZ's rules.

I far as i know,unless something you done,maybe like commit a crime... The issuing state would get a letter or a Phone call..

You need to check on local sheriff or local Pd ....
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think it would be handled in much the same way as an unpaid traffic ticket. One state would contact the other requesting revocation or suspension.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Angry

I believe North Carolina could refuse to honor your Virginia permit. When Arizona decided not to recognize Florida CCW permits we responded in kind.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    States that reciprocate honor out-of-state permits as long as you obey their laws. While they can't suspend your license issued from a different state, they can charge you with violating their state law and refuse to honor your "out-of-state" CC license, thus not allowing your carrying of firearms. It would be up to your state's issuing authority to revoke your license, if it has the authority to do so for an out of state request. If a felony were to be involved, then it could most certainly act.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No...they can't.

They can, however, charge you with a crime....and report that back to the issuing authority who can then decide to revoke your permit.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Individual states do not live in vacuums, points on your driving record can eventually catch up with you, and I would imagine that any major infraction while CCWing would also catch up with your state of record...I'm just sayin'...

Common sense dictates that you know the laws of any state that you visit while armed, and don't take chances or do stupid things.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Another state can not revoke your permit, no more than it can revoke your drivers license.

Here is a bit more in depth explanation of how things take place...

If your concealed weapons law is so worded,(many of them are) then an infraction in another state is reason for your state to revoke it.

I know that Arkansas has that wording in it. It basically states the if you get arrested in another state for a weapons related infraction, then your permit can be revoked.

Here is a situation that happened outside of Arkansas but later it was relevant in Arkansas.

A guy on vacation goes out of state, stops at gas station, fills up and walks into the store to buy a coke. Happens every day right?

Only in this state ANY place that sells alcohol prohibits concealed carry in it. It's legal in your state, so you don't even give it a second thought.

A cop rolls up, notices your out of state plate, see you paying for gas,and watches you pull out your wallet and he notices that you have a CHL. He asks if you are carrying a concealed weapon. You tell him that you are, and he asks to see it.
    Being the good ole boy that you are, you say sure, no problem because you read here on DC that its the right thing to do.

He takes your gun and issues you an ticket because you are clearly in violation of the law. He seizes your permit, which is legal for an officer to do in most states for any weapons related infraction, and he sends it to the Attorney General of your state. He hands it to the ASP Administrator, or whoever is responsible for the permits in that state, and they take it. You receive notice that because you received an infraction in another state, that your license has been suspended until the case comes up.

You are several states over, so you just send them the fee and choose not to show up to fight it in court, because basically its the same as a traffic ticket...no big deal right?

Wrong. By paying the fine you admitted quilt. Now you get a notice from the ASP that your license has been terminated because you have been found guilty of a weapons related infraction in another state,and Arkansas Law is very clear on this. The bad thing is...you will never get another CHL from Arkansas because of this infraction.

Now here's the thing. Many states have laws that are modeled after different states. Its an easy thing for the legislatures to copy and paste a law and they really don't have to do much research or burn the midnight oil trying to figure out what is what. Not only that, the law that they copy may also be used as an example to scotch some of their arguments, because they have an actual working history of the law in question. This is important because it gives them a way to cover their tails in the face of opposition.

It's the very reason why there are alot of similarity's in state laws dealing with weapons.

If you hear of another state taking a license from someone and it gets suspended or revoked, more than likely, it is not that state doing it, but the persons home state that is doing it.Yes, is sucks, but in many places thats the way it is.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I believe North Carolina could refuse to honor your Virginia permit. When Arizona decided not to recognize Florida CCW permits we responded in kind.

I have not been to this site in a loong time. But I am confused with old school saying that AZ doesn't honor Florida's permit. According to Handgun.law, AZ honors all state permits
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Arizona is listed under FL's reciprocity list. It's the "non-resident" permits that are an issue.

AZ issues permits to non-residents, and those non-resident permits are not honored by FL.
    Last edited by HotGuns; July 13th, 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: changed from AR to AZ.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This is an issue I've been confused about also. If I commit a firearms violation in a state which did not issue my permit, but the act which I am charged is legal in my issuing state, why would my issuing state take away my permit? It's not illegal to them. I guess I'm a federalist at heart and believe we should have a 'federal concealed carry law/permit'.

Senior Moderator
    I guess I'm a federalist at heart and believe we should have a 'federal concealed carry law/permit'.
    Not me. What the Feds give they can take away.

Here's a scenario...
    The president gets whacked by someone that happens to have a federal handgun permit.

How loud would the poiliticans become when they tried to revoke ALL permits because of the actions of one?

Dont think it can happen?

Lets not forget that much of the gun control laws today came as a knee jerk reaction to John Kennedy getting assasinated.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not me. What the Feds give they can take away.

Here's a scenario...
    The president gets whacked by someone that happens to have a federal handgun permit.

How loud would the poiliticans become when they tried to revoke ALL permits because of the actions of one?

Dont think it can happen?

Lets not forget that much of the gun control laws today came as a knee jerk reaction to John Kennedy getting assasinated.
    Amen to that! I do NOT want the feds deciding any more than they already do
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links