Vacation Time: MS, AL, TN & VA

This is a discussion on Vacation Time: MS, AL, TN & VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling w/the family on vacation. We'll be driving to Tupelo, MS, for a day/night. Then we'll head to AL for a day/night. After ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Time: MS, AL, TN & VA

Vacation Time: MS, AL, TN & VA

I'll be traveling w/the family on vacation. We'll be driving to Tupelo, MS, for a day/night. Then we'll head to AL for a day/night. After that we'll drive thru TN up to VA where we'll stay for a week near Harrisonburg.

I've read thru Handgunlaw.us and the iPhone apps GunConceal and LegalHeat and intend to go thru them all again before we leave. However, I'm curious to know of anything not covered by the sites/apps. Is there any sort of peculuarities (sp?) I need to be aware of? Do different counties in those states have any sort of special control/laws? Most of the time in VA will be spent at a resort, tho we'll be going to be field tripping to at least two historical locations.

I know the federal laws governing interstate transportation, know all four states reciprocate w/AR and where I can/can't carry - at least, as listed on Handgunlaw.us and the apps.

Anyhow, any special pointers would be appreciated.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You are covered in Tennessee. Don't carry in (1) a place that is properly posted (circle and slash now meets the requirements) (posting does not apply in parks), (2) any school property, public or private, (3) court, or (4) any park where it is banned by the local government. And don't drink while you are carrying.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

You can now carry concealed in restaurants that serve alcohol in Va. But, no drinking while CCing.

I would imagine you will be dinning out while here visiting.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You can also legally carry into a bar in TN since the new law that was passed doesn't differentiate between a restaurant or bar. You just can't carry there if they have the proper signage up.

In VA....State law supercedes any local laws on possession/carry of firearms.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks for the info on TN & VA, fellas! I appreciate it a lot. Especially the word on bars/restaurants.

Anything for AL or MS?

Pincels miss spel werds;

AL is laid back, for the most part. Ok in restaurants/bars, and most other places. Signage is trespassing only - leave if asked to do so. Pretty simple, really. State law supersedes local laws.

Have fun!!

You can now carry in State Parks in MS. I've sent the Legal Heat guys the bill #; it will be on their next update.

Other than that, legal heat has it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    In VA....State law supercedes any local laws on possession/carry of firearms.
    Yes, but keep in mind that the manager in a restaurant may ask you to leave. - and that has nothing to do with gun laws. They are not required to serve everyone who walks through their doors... And if you are making their other customers feel uncomfortable by carrying a gun, (or by any other unrelated actions; loud cursing, throwing food, wearing Orange and singing the British national anthem in an Irish pub, etc.) then you are bad for their business.

Not that it would happen to a guy on vacation with his family; but just to say it for the record... Good judgment in the way you carry should (as always) be a high priority. No law will ever excuse you from that.

Oh, and SIGguy229; I love the signature... crappy fighter... makes me laugh.

Heisenberg may have slept here

Don't speed on I-81 in VA.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

"Welcome to Pack-N-Go Your Concealed Carry CCW Trip Planner"

While this may not answer all your questions, it's a handy site for trip planning.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    Nah! Come on we need the revenue.

Actually, watch the limit particularly in construction zones.

Also, watch out for any flashing lights along side the road. Pull out of the adjacent lane, or slow down to 45 if you need to stay in the lane adjacent to the vehicle with the flashing lights. Up until July 1st that law only applied to blue or red lights. Now it applies to any flashing warning lights, construction, tow-trucks, etc. They are really sitting on that one.

Have a safe trip.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks for all the info, fellas. I appreciate the specific heads up, as I was a bit unclear about restaurants in VA and TN. I figured to address the issue directly once I got there via a call to the local State Police.

DaveH - Arkansas has had similar laws on the books for a while now, with regards to pulling over as far to the left as you can for flashing lights. It's just the smarter, courteous thing to do, but too many folks don't.

Thanks again, fellas.

Pincels miss spel werds;

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post

Truer words - never typed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Truer words - never typed.
    Counted 6 pull-overs between Bristol and Wytheville last week (forth of July weekend). I had my truck set on 63mph just to be safe....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links