Getting a Lawyer for a CCW a Good Idea?

This is a discussion on Getting a Lawyer for a CCW a Good Idea? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; of course this is another california question. since it's so hard to get a CCW in california, would it be a good idea to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

of course this is another california question.

since it's so hard to get a CCW in california, would it be a good idea to get professional help from a lawyer? do you guys think it'll help?

Administrator
    Do you mean proactively getting a lawyer before you get denied?
    California...it sure couldn't hurt.
    I would hope that you would contact a pro gun lawyer in your area and that he/she would give you some free application advice and then take your case for an appeal should you get denied. That would be nice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

yeah what he said. i'll do that~

VIP Member
    I'm in Missouri and wonder the same thing. I belong to one of those legal help packages for 15 a month but not sure if this is what I want to use in case of a shooting and not sure how to find a pro gun lawyer. I'm really interested in where this thread is going to take us.

I think every person who carries concealed had better have a name of a pro-gun, pro-CCW, gun rights attorney programed into their cell phones as soon as they get licensed.

Here in central Ohio were blessed to have the best one here in our own backyard. Ken Hanson who authored "Ohio's Guide to Gun Laws".
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

It sure wouldn't hurt. I think this ranks among the top ten things needed with your CCW permit, along with your weapon (locked & loaded), spare mag, flashlight, ammo, safety glasses, and heraing protection.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I see this as one issue that the OP brought up and some responses are addressing a totally different issue. BOTH are very important!

- In some tough states, like MA where I am most familiar with gun laws, if you know that the issuing authority is a ball-buster, having your application accompanied with a letter from your lawyer about what this package contains (per law, not the made up BS that some licensing authorities like to throw in here) makes it clear that if they mess with you, you are likely to stand your ground vs. bending over.

- If you carry a gun or have one for "home defense", you damn well better have the name and phone number of a good gun defense attorney on speed dial of your cell phone (and let your spouse know that info too).

For MA, I know a very competent pro-gun attorney that fits both bills, if the need ever were to arise. [My Wife and I don't get any hassles on our permit renewals, but that is because we are very active in town government, well known and have had permits for 28 and 30 years respectively (initially issued by a pro-2nd chief).]

IMHO a lawyer most definetly would be able to help but, I think you might be better off waiting to see if you are denied first and then getting an attorney.

First off, it can't be cheap getting a lawyer involved, no need to spend more money than necessary.

Secondly, (and it could be me being paranoid but) I think getting a lawyer to represent you could possibly have an adverse effect and actually slow the proccess down. Suddenly everyone involved wants to do things the "right way" which often is the "long and slow way".

Unless the lawyer happens to personally know somebody that can cut through all the red tape.

I have a cousin that's an attorney. After I get my Suffolk County pistol license, I'm going to see if there is anything he can do to get the restrictions removed from it. It's a longshot but, maybe he knows someone (like the Chief of Police...lol).

The sad truth of the matter is that most of these "gun laws" are meaningless....they instantly "go away" if you know the right people.

In MA, after denial or downgrading a LTC, it is "too late" to involve an attorney! Likelihood of success is very small and you have to admit a "denial" on every application you ever fill out for the rest of your life!

Here, up-front with an attorney is the only route to success (if needed). In some towns, they actually follow the law and thus you don't need an attorney for application, in others they throw in all sorts of other roadblocks and the attorney is the only way to protect your rights and get the LTC. Some chiefs are worried about racking up huge legal bills prosecuting cases against law abiding citizens, so they "fold" and then will follow the letter of the law.

VIP Member
    Well how do you find a good pro gun lawyer without calling every number in the telephone book. In St. Louis thats a fairly thick book.

I am a Michigan lawyer, and here there is no need to get a lawyer: the process is very staightforward, since we became a "shall issue" state. In an anti-gun environment, a gun friendly attorney should be worth his/her fee.

Get the fee established up front.

The most important thing, nomatter what state one lives in, is to have a COMPLETE understanding of the law as it applies to concealed carry and the use of firearms.

Administrator
    Hey Look What I Found On The Web.

THE SHOOTERS BAR ~ NEAT!

CLICK HERE TO GO THERE. Find A Pro~Gun Attorney In Your State.

VIP Member
    Thanks QKShooter. I went to the link and not one listed for the St. Louis area that deals in criminal law but I bet this link can help a lot of people out.

thanx for that website~!

How to find one?

Do you have a state gun owners assn?

Do they have a publication?

What lawyers advertise in it? Call them and ask them if this is their specialty.

Ask the state assn who they'd recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links