Funny story- concealed carry in "dangerous" place

This is a discussion on Funny story- concealed carry in "dangerous" place within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Funny thing happened to me at a festival in town last year. I met up with some friends from church and was enjoying the food, ...

Thread: Funny story- concealed carry in "dangerous" place

Funny thing happened to me at a festival in town last year. I met up with some friends from church and was enjoying the food, fun, music, etc. At one point, one of the ladies with us told me that there were some very "dangerous" things going on around the festival. She is one of those ladies that is very energetic and outspoken in the Spirit and is perceived as eccentric and nutty by some and very spiritual by others. I'll admit I've had moments of thinking each to be the case.

Knowing this about her I was curious what she saw as "dangerous" about something happening at a neighborhood, family friendly festival in broad daylight, so I just had to ask. She obliged by leading me to where this event was occurring. It just so happened that she'd heard the music at a particular bar that afternoon and sensed a strong negative spirit in the place. I got right up to the door of the place and stopped flat footed, declining to go in. She then praised my own sense of discernment to our friends when we returned to the group a minute later.

As is often true, she didn't know "the rest of the story"- I was carrying my XD concealed and knew quite clearly that my presence in a bar as such would be a breach of state law. I felt a little bad getting praise for my discernment when there was a different mechanism at work but figured it wasn't worth spilling my "concealed is concealed" beans to the group to complete her understanding of the days events.

That made for an interesting day.

It seems like it would be a little awkward to be right in front of a store when you notice a no-gun sign or remember that you are carrying at all, then having to turn right around.

Haha! The law was your discernment in this case!

Quote Originally Posted by Zwetschgen View Post
    It seems like it would be a little awkward to be right in front of a store when you notice a no-gun sign or remember that you are carrying at all, then having to turn right around.
    It can be a pain, but eventually you get to the point where you just remember where you can and cannot go.

For example: BB&T will not allow guns in the branches near me (and many other places, I have heard) so I simply don't bank with them. Suntrust welcomes guns with open arms. In fact, I am good friends with one of the staff at my nearest branch and he told me (in private outside of the bank) that she wishes more people carried legally in her bank.

I can go to 99% of my local haunts OC or CC no problem, but I also know all the guys. It's the big chains (especially K-mart and Sears) that I have to avoid.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    It's the big chains (especially K-mart and Sears) that I have to avoid.
    The only time a Kmart or Sears is a problem is when they're attached to a mall with a no-handguns policy. Sears Holdings Corporate policy for customers is to abide by state regulation. If it's legal to carry in your state, it's legal to carry in Kmart or Sears.

When this question was raised elsewhere Sears/Kmart Corporate was contacted. Here is their reply:

Quote:
    Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears coperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
    Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
    Sears Holdings Corporation
    Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
    Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com
    If they don't have a problem with open carry they sure aren't likely to have a problem with concealed carry. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    Haha! The law was your discernment in this case!

It can be a pain, but eventually you get to the point where you just remember where you can and cannot go.

For example: BB&T will not allow guns in the branches near me (and many other places, I have heard) so I simply don't bank with them. Suntrust welcomes guns with open arms. In fact, I am good friends with one of the staff at my nearest branch and he told me (in private outside of the bank) that she wishes more people carried legally in her bank.

I can go to 99% of my local haunts OC or CC no problem, but I also know all the guys. It's the big chains (especially K-mart and Sears) that I have to avoid.
    The BB&T I use is a posted victim zone, but fortunately those signs have no legal weight in Georgia.

I had an ex whose mother was like that, to if she’s like that women I am guessing the presence of alcohol and the chance of people hooking up is the danger.

You could have walked in if you were here, as it's quite legal, as long as the bar is not posted with the AG's sign.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

She sounds kooky. And she praised you for being like minded. Bummer for you :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Sponsored Links