Traveling To Indiana - Questions

This is a discussion on Traveling To Indiana - Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling to northwestern IN next month for a high school reunion. I have an OH CHL, which I know IN recognizes, as ...

I will be traveling to northwestern IN next month for a high school reunion. I have an OH CHL, which I know IN recognizes, as well as a PA and a NH permit. I have read the info at Hangunlaw.us and the state links, but still have a few questions. As I understand it, it is legal to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol. Government buildings are off limits. Schools are off limits. None of this is a problem--I don't drink and am not going to a school or government office. But what about a building at a park that may be owned by the city? Specifically the Gary Bathing Beach Aquatorium. Also the Center for Visual and Performing Arts? Does anyone know if it is legal to carry in these two places? Yah, I know, I could probably write or call them, but on the other hand, I don't particularly want to draw attention to myself. So if anyone has direct knowledge, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance for any help. I just found the web sites both both establishments and do not think they are government owned buildings, but does anyone know for sure and does anyone know if they are posted? Thanks.
    Last edited by JDE101; July 12th, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added info
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Ex Member
    You car correct in all of those. The Governor signed a bill this year making it LEGAL to carry in parks.

Indiana has GREAT CCW laws, and you can also get a LIFETIME CCW permit for $125.

p.s. In Indiana you do NOT have to have the weapon on a seat, or whatever that crazy law is in Ohio, when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Indiana has GREAT CCW laws, and you can also get a LIFETIME CCW permit for $125.
    Wow, that's pretty nice!

Drove through IN recently. I noticed how good the laws seemed there. Don't think we really stopped anywhere, cept to get gas (and to put the gun back in a case since I was heading through IL and home to WI).
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Be sure to understand other state's laws.
    In OH you have a concealed hand gun license...
    In IN open carry is allowed, but not with your OH 'concealed hand gun license'...keep it concealed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Indiana doesn't have "CCW" laws or permits. Indiana issues a "License to Carry Handgun," with state law being silent on the method of carry. As far as other states, if your permit or license says "concealed" on it, then concealed is what you should do, to stay legal. Carrying a handgun in any manner is illegal in Indiana, without an Indiana license or an out-of-state permit/license recognized by Indiana. Indiana does recognize all handgun permits/licenses from every state.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Indiana doesn't have "CCW" laws or permits. Indiana issues a "License to Carry Handgun," with state law being silent on the method of carry. As far as other states, if your permit or license says "concealed" on it, then concealed is what you should do, to stay legal. Carrying a handgun in any manner is illegal in Indiana, without an Indiana license or an out-of-state permit/license recognized by Indiana. Indiana does recognize all handgun permits/licenses from every state.
    Perhaps I am ignorant of this as I have never open carried but I was under the impression that open carry was legal here without a permit.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Perhaps I am ignorant of this as I have never open carried but I was under the impression that open carry was legal here without a permit.
    Only on your own land or business. To transport (any manor) a handgun within Indiana, you must have a LTCH or a license or permit from another State or Country. (Must abide by the issuing State or Country)

Open carry on a IN LTCH is legal. No LTCH, illegal.

Long guns can be carried without one though.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Only on your own land or business. To transport (any manor) a handgun within Indiana, you must have a LTCH or a license or permit from another State or Country. (Must abide by the issuing State or Country)

Yup.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Thanks all for your replies. IN recognizes my OH license, and I always carry concealed, so I should have no problems.(Cross my fingers -- hope I didn't just jinx myself)
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

EdC
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    You car correct in all of those. The Governor signed a bill this year making it LEGAL to carry in parks.
    BE CAREFUL!!!! I believe the OP's post concerned a CITY PARK. Carry in State Parks is allowed, per the above referenced bill, but city parks make their own rules. For example, Indianapolis city parks prohibit guns. There even was a resolution this year from a council member to allow carry in city parks, but it was defeated. Check the city rules for where you are going, but you cannot rely on the law regarding state run parks.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Gun Bunny, you stated carry or transporting in any manor is illegal without a LTCH, slight correction. To do so on your person is illegial without a license. To place a secured unloaded firearm in a trunk and the ammo in the glove box is legal pursuant to state law

And according to Gary city ordinances, open carry is not allowed by city statute, so if u have a license that does not say concealed on it, you still must do so in Gary
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Links