NC/GA CCW Laws

This is a discussion on NC/GA CCW Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have tried looking at both packing.org and handgunlaw.us and can't find and appropriate answer. So here is my first post. I will be traveling ...

Thread: NC/GA CCW Laws

NC/GA CCW Laws

I have tried looking at both packing.org and handgunlaw.us and can't find and appropriate answer. So here is my first post.

I will be traveling to Franklin, NC (a small town in western NC) and am trying to find the laws about carrying in national forests in North Carolina and Georgia. I am looking at a map that shows most of the western half of the state being a national forest. If I can't carry in a national forest does that as well mean while driving on an interstate highway that cuts through the forest? Any clue as to where I might find any good information?

Just trying to find out the law before getting in trouble.

Thanks to all,

Scott

2. Remove Ads

I teach CCH in NC..I have a copy of the NC firearms laws on Adobe.

PM me your MEail and I;ll send it.

rw

check out http://www.georgiapacking.org

The National Forests are okay if they are not part of a State WMA in GA

Quote Originally Posted by ber950
    check out http://www.georgiapacking.org

The National Forests are okay if they are not part of a State WMA in GA
    Here's a breif rundown of the GA laws: http://georgiapacking.org/law.php

From what I read on packing.org

"Carry concealed weapons on Federal Property
    Q: Carry in National Parks.
    A: Carry in National Parks is not legal even with a permit. Gun must be unloaded and stored while in a National Park.

Q: Carry In National Forest
    A: If you can legally carry in the state the National Forest is in you can carry in the National Forest. You can not carry into any buildings on the National Forest as they are owned by the Federal Government."

I take it that also means the forests in TN, as I travel through them on the way to NC.

Scott

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Make sure to visit the Scottish Tartan and Heritage Museum in Franklin.

There is a display of my family's weapons there.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I am here in the NC and you can't carry in any type of recreational parks under state, federal or local operation. This is a big no, no. I don't agree with this law and I believe that you should be able to carry where you want as long as you have a CCW. Nevertheless, with a CCW you still find yourself only able to carry about 80% of the time. I feel that you should be able to carry anywhere you want as long as you are legally a CCW carrier. This especially with out current state of affairs and stuff.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    I am here in the NC and you can't carry in any type of recreational parks under state, federal or local operation. This is a big no, no. I don't agree with this law and I believe that you should be able to carry where you want as long as you have a CCW. Nevertheless, with a CCW you still find yourself only able to carry about 80% of the time. I feel that you should be able to carry anywhere you want as long as you are legally a CCW carrier. This especially with out current state of affairs and stuff.
    I too am in NC and I think you may be mistaken.

According to the NCDOJ:
    In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
    In financial institutions such as a bank;
    In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
    In schools or on school grounds;

In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;

In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants);

In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law;

In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;

By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).
    This was taken from the NC Department of Justice website at:http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp

I am aware that some of the local and state parks have "no carry" signs posted BUT it is my understanding that if there is no sign it is OK. Keep in mind this applies to local and state locations NOT federal land.
    Hope this helps, Joe

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Your first problem is getting through South Carolina.

Same as me.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Spetrola, it says you are from Maryland, do you have a carry permit? I am originally from MD and I know how hard (almost impossible) it is for your average citizen to get a permit in MD. I am wondering if you have one, or an out of state permit from somewhere else?
    There are a few reasons I ask this.
    If you do NOT have a permit then you cannot carry concealed, PERIOD. In this case are you talking about "open carry"? "Open carry" has different rules and regulations so you need to know those rules NOT the rules for CCW.
    Now, if you DO have a permit the state your permit is issued from will effect what other states you can and cannot carry in (see your issuing states reciprocity map @ packing.org). If the state you are going into honors permits from your issuing state, then you CAN carry in that state. Keep in mind, you must still follow ALL the rules for the state you are in NOT your issuing state, so make sure you familiarize yourself with the laws of the states you are going into before your trip. Pay close attention to places that are off limits and be prepared to "inform LEOs when carrying" (IMO it is a good idea to do this anyway, even if not required by the state).
    Good luck on your trip. I hope this helped.
    Joe

Yes, I am from MD and it is still impossible to get a ccw here. I got mine from FL. So I can carry in NC.

Just a follow up I just talked to a Ofc. down there in the forest who said that I can only carry during hunting season, however if you are just passing through onn the highway it's ok.

Scott

Ps. If anyone gets anything more concrete (in writing) I would love to see it.

Talking

This is what I was told by a high up official.

Scott: What Tami told you was correct. All NC State criminal laws also
    apply on National Forest System (NFS) lands as we share a oncurrent
    jurisdiction with the State (16 USC 480). Either the Federal government, State Authorities, or both, can investigate and then charge suspectsfor any crimes committed on NFS lands. FS officers can enforce both State on Federal laws on the NFS. Additionally, the Forest Service has a number of Class B misdemeanor criminal regulations that cover things like camping, fires, littering, and that sort of thing (36 CFR 261, subparts A and B).

You may carry a concealed weapon in the National Forest, so long as
    you are not in violation of the State's Wildlife Management Area (WMA) regulations. During certain times of the year (generally the hunting season), the State will close the caring of certain types of firearms (usually handguns). Because some of our NFS lands are also in NC State WMA's so you will have to check the areas that you want to go to make sure.

Does this help?

Jack

Quote;
    In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

In financial institutions such as a bank;

In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;

In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants
    ===========================================

These three off limit places make no sense.
    Bank, possibly carrying large sums of cash let's disarm legal CCW holders, good plan there
    What exactly is an 'area of assembly' and why can't we carry there? what's up with not being able to carry to a restaraunt, I don't drink why should I have my right to slef defense taken away if I choose to go out for dinner?
    We need work to have these ridiculous restrictions lifted.

Links