Another Reason to Carry in a Good, Secure Holster -- News Story

This is a discussion on Another Reason to Carry in a Good, Secure Holster -- News Story within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Otherwise, you might end up leaving your weapon at the movie theater, when you leave, just like this person did. Here is the news report ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Reason to Carry in a Good, Secure Holster -- News Story

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Otherwise, you might end up leaving your weapon at the movie theater, when you leave, just like this person did. Here is the news report about it:

Gun Found In Franklin Movie Theater Seat - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

This person was so fortunate that something worse did not happen. There were numerous small children in the theatre, as it was playing "Toy Story 3" What if a small child had found his Kahr PM40 instead of a responsible adult???

Gun Found In Franklin Movie Theater Seat

Jul 06, 2010 1:25 PM

FRANKLIN, Tenn. Franklin police said a handgun was found in a seat at the Thoroughbred 20 Cinema on July 4.

A female patron found the loaded .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol when it fell from her seat as she was sitting down for a movie. She immediately alerted movie theater workers, who called police.

Franklin Police would not reveal the identity of the woman who found the gun, offering only that she is a senior citizen. Investigators said the woman, who was hosting her 8-year-old niece to a 5:00 p.m. Sunday showing of Toy Story 3, did everything right, safety wise.

"We had a responsible adult that was able to find the gun," said Franklin Police Sergeant Charles Warner. "She secured that gun, got help from a man that was seated in front of her to stay with the gun, while she went to notify people from the theater."

Warner went on to offer reassurance that modern day guns are built with safety in mind; that they don't fire easily, like when they're dropped for example.

"The trigger could have been hung on a bolt in the chair and the pressure of the woman being seated certainly could have depressed that trigger. Uhm, the gun could have fallen into the hands of a child that was there at the theater. The gun could've fallen into the hands of a criminal," said Sgt. Warner.

The manager of the Carmike Thoroughbred 20 Theater, on Frazier Drive, Franklin, offered no comment to the media on Tuesday. Carmike Corporate did not return a call from NewsChannel 5.

"I'm shocked, I really am. I'm shocked," said Suzanne Goldstone, a mother of twin girls, as she exited the theater. "I can't believe it was found here. I mean, that's just so bizarre!"

Goldstone had just seen the movie, Toy Story 3.

"Like, I can't imagine wanting to have a gun on you at a movie theater. Like, why? Why would you even take it to the theater?? I don't get it," added Goldstone.

Franklin Police are hoping to track the gun's owner through the State's registration process, though Tennessee law does not mandate that all weapons be registered. Criminal charges are completely contingent upon the circumstances in which the gun got left behind.

Franklin police said anyone who finds a gun in a public place should stay with it, keep others, especially children, away and call 911 from their cell phone, or send someone else for help. Never pick the gun up, and do not walk away from it until after police have arrived.

Screwup.....yes, the rest of it....Baaaaaaaaaah.

wow!! how do you let that happen??
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

I laugh on two counts for this one:

1st-idiot not noticing the fact that his/her weapon fell out, and obviously did not do a slight pat check to make sure everything is good before exiting the theatre

2nd-
    "Like, I can't imagine wanting to have a gun on you at a movie theater. Like, why? Why would you even take it to the theater?? I don't get it," added Goldstone.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Stupid is as stupid does. Still, I don't think it is illegal to loose a firearm in public?

Right?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    This happened just down the road from me. Franklin isn't as gun savy as the rest of TN. Franklin is mostly small town, old money sheeple. This isn't going to go well for the owner if he's found.

On TNGunowners forum, there is some half joking speculation that it belongs to the infamous "kwikernu", as on some other forum he alegedly posted a WANTED ad for a similar gun. Real? Who knows.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

"responsible"

It's what we all need to be when carrying a firearm. Ultimately......if a permit holder ever does something like this, they should have their permit taken away for being irresponsible and endangering the public at large. Reckless and unforgiven. Plain and simple. Those who decide to be irresponsible in their ways do nothing but make things worse for those of us who make responsibility our number one priority. This person will continue to go through life irresponsibly, yet we have no apparent right to correct the things that might occur in the future with this individuals proven irresponsibility now. There's a difference in responsibility and mistakes. When you carry a weapon, there can be no mistakes, and it all comes down to responsibility. Things like this revise my disgust with humanity as a whole sometimes. The gene pool theory is just an excuse. Everything lies within the brain we're all given, and very well capable unless damaged due to outside influences. DNA has little to do with it.

One day, got out of car and start walking towards store... bump my arm to check gun... no gun.

Rush back to car, it's sitting in the seat of the car... and fallen out of the holster. Threw the holster away and got a completely different type / style of holster and not had the issue again.

the angle you sit at in movie theatre seats, this does not surprise me.
    test your holster when sitting back in chairs, etc. and not upright to check for retention.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Its called.... Retention! if your holster wont securely grip your pistol, throw it away without a second thought. SOB with a cheap clip-on IWB is the best way I know to leave a pistol in a chair.

Quality holsters woarn properly do not leave pistols in movie theater seats.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I don't get why some people think this way.....

The sheep goes bahhh
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Took my daughter to the movies just last week. My Glock 27 never jumped out of my Crossbreed. I would love to know how this managed to happen and how they didn't notice the weapon was no longer there.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I would love to know how this managed to happen
    Well, since the Kahr PM40 is a small handgun that can easily be pocket carried, I think we have to realize that there is a chance that the owner may have simply had it inside a pocket, with no holster whatsoever.

The owner did add a Crimson Trace LaserGuard to the gun, which does prevent the gun from being used in a standard holster meant for a PM40. However, that is no excuse at all for not having a holster. A lot of companies now make holsters for pistols that will fit one with a CT LaserGuard installed on it.

Galco, DeSantis, and High Noon are just 3 that immediately come to my mind.

Warner went on to offer reassurance that modern day guns are built with safety in mind; that they don't fire easily, like when they're dropped for example.

- Modern firearms may have drop safeties, but the Kahr PM40 does not have any external safeties. If someone pulled the trigger, something tragic could have happened.

That being said, I hope someone learned their lesson.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Thug.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If only I could have found it. I would love a PM40... Ok I'm kidding (sort of).
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links