How to convince my fiancee I need more firearms...hmmm

This is a discussion on How to convince my fiancee I need more firearms...hmmm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Much to my pacifist fiancee's dismay, I got my CCW and purchased a G19 not too long ago. I still have my list of needs/wants ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to convince my fiancee I need more firearms...hmmm

How to convince my fiancee I need more firearms...hmmm

Much to my pacifist fiancee's dismay, I got my CCW and purchased a G19 not too long ago. I still have my list of needs/wants but she was under the impression the G19 is all I needed.

I still think at a minimum I should have a pocket/bug (PM9) and HD Shotgun (Mossberg 590A1)

And then there are those things I WANT (S&W 340PD, Sig P220 Elite, G30 SF, G21SF, M1A1, AR-15, Mossy with pistol grip)

since her idea of defense is curling up into a ball or kicking and screaming what would be fair?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

I'd vote for the PM9 and Mossberg. I love my PM9. So small it's like it's not even there. Plus, you may be able to convince her to carry it someday.

First off try to get her to understand that they are good investment. That they keep or even increase in value over a period of time.

Then, I say go for the PM9 and even a Ruger LCP. Chances are you can get her to like shooting one of them. She may end up wanting to take one of them from you for her carry gun.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

She may end up wanting to take one of them from you for her carry gun.
    I don't have any optimism of her every carrying, right now i'd be satisfied with her just being okay with me carrying Every day... she still says "why did you bring it today/here/now?"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Does she only have one purse, one pair of shoes, one bottle of nail polish, one pair of undies, etc etc etc?????? Why does she have more than one of anything? I believe it's time to quit saying "MEOW" when your fiancee walks into the room and begin to gradually educate her on the evils in this world and why you carry. Then it's time to let HER pick out the weapon she would like to train with and schedule some range time TOGETHER. After all Honey, we DO want to spend time together and where better than learning to take care of each other! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    honey...if it keeps me from beating you even just once during our relationship isnt it worth it?...

on second thought...probably not...the statement....not the beatings...

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Does she only have one purse, one pair of shoes, one bottle of nail polish, one pair of undies, etc etc etc?????? Why does she have more than one of anything? I believe it's time to quit saying "MEOW" when your fiancee walks into the room and begin to gradually educate her on the evils in this world and why you carry. Then it's time to let HER pick out the weapon she would like to train with and schedule some range time TOGETHER. After all Honey, we DO want to spend time together and where better than learning to take care of each other! JMO
    Oh i'm slowly trying to convert her... I also share with her news reports I read, both the good and the bad, trying to show her that RANDOM crime DOES exist, and it can't always be avoided and its not always between gang members or people who "deserve" it.

I've convinced her that its necessary for home defense, then I convinced her its good to carry especially in high crime areas, now I just need to convince her its best to always carry :p... and that... Different firearms fulfill different roles just like different clothes for different occasions.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'm in the same boat, but, she saw what happened to make me want to carry. Just tell her, that you'll be carrying all the time. She may not ever come around and may not ever want to learn how to shoot.

But, wants and needs are 2 different things. I'd recommend telling her the that you'll be getting a smaller pistol that easier to carry and harder to see. Out of sight, out of mind.

Just buy your toys. When she asks about them reply "Oh I have had that for a long time."
    Semper Fi

PS. If that doesn't work find a new woman.
    Last edited by BkCo1; July 13th, 2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

But, wants and needs are 2 different things. I'd recommend telling her the that you'll be getting a smaller pistol that easier to carry and harder to see. Out of sight, out of mind.
    I mentioned that to her when I was looking at the PM9. and then she said if thats the easiest to carry why not JUST get that? I had to explain to her it only carries 7 rounds and is not the easiest to control and aim, that the G19 was superior in some respects but the PM9 is a backup plan. She doesn't understand :/
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

"Baby, you want a new RING for Christmas? I thought you already had a ring. Why would you/need want more?"

I got some crap when I asked for my Glock 19 for my birthday. Fortunately, her birthday is just two weeks before mine, and I bought her EXACTLY what she had been wishing for.

When she carped about the G19, I said, "So you want your birthday present to be about what YOU want, but my birthday present is about what YOU think I need."

The Glock showed up with the candles and cake!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Does she ask questions purely from a lack of understanding, or is there condescension/derision there?

If she just doesn't understand, be patient, and perhaps ask her to go to a tactical training class with you-even if just as a spectator.

If it's the other....sell the engagement ring and buy a new gun. ;)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I'd definitely say the PM9 and Mossy. And be sure to let her know that whether she agrees or not, her protection is a large part of the reason you want them. She may not agree, but it should mean something to know that you're doing it because you want to keep her safe.

And BkCo1, I have to disagree with you buddy. Don't be so quick to dismiss her just because she questions. If it's going to be a serious strain on the relationship then maybe, but there are plenty of guys here whose wives/SOs don't understand why they want to carry all the time, but it's not a big enough deal to stress the relationship. You never know, she might come around to it or at least be OK with him carrying even if she doesn't want to.

Increasingly, I'm glad to have found an SO who wanted her CWL before even meeting me. She doesn't have it yet for various reasons, but she'll be getting one.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Does she ask questions purely from a lack of understanding, or is there condescension/derision there?

If she just doesn't understand, be patient, and perhaps ask her to go to a tactical training class with you-even if just as a spectator.

If it's the other....sell the engagement ring and buy a new gun. ;)
    Comes from a lack of understanding and coming from a commie country called China Where people are freely repressed :p and comes from a denial of the real world and general Utopian beliefs (that every gun in the world should be melted).
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

What's with the "NEED"?

Not to interfere in relationships but you asked advice so:

Why do you have to treat it as a matter of need that you have to convince her of? It sounds like you're a defendant who has to prove something.

Unless you're using money that should go to the two of you, it's not different than someone who has a number of excellent watches, or collects coins. So what? You like these things, it's your funds, you're an adult, so......... forget all the rest, SD and need and pacifism and so on and so on. You enjoy them, it's enough.

Pacifism isn't relevant to buying an object - gun or anything - anymore than Economic Collectivism is to coin collections.

Are you advising her not to buy leather jackets because you're into animal rights? Are you going to draw up reading lists of acceptable books, each for the other?

I mean, c'mon...
    Last edited by hamlet; July 13th, 2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: grammar edit

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links