What are your security priorities?

What are your security priorities?

This is a discussion on What are your security priorities? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wish the poll system here allowed us to do rankings. I'd like to ask you, where on this (incomplete) list of security and safety ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: What are your security priorities?

  1. #1
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095

    What are your security priorities?

    I wish the poll system here allowed us to do rankings.

    I'd like to ask you, where on this (incomplete) list of security and safety concerns for you and your family does toting a loaded pistol around all day lie?

    - Work hard to ensure yourself a good career and income stream so you and your family can live in a safe(r) neighborhood and the choildren can attend safe(r) schools.

    - Focus on your nutrition and exercise and that of your family to encourage statistically longer, healthier lives.

    - Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.

    - Earn enough to ensure you have safe, reliable transportation for yourself and all family members.

    - Take self defense classes with your family to have non-lethal or lethal options not requiring a firearm.

    - Avoid illegal activities such as illegal gambling, drug use/dealing, theft, embezzlement, etc.

    - Avoid late night carousing and "clubbing".

    - Have enough money and/or insurance so your family can maintain their lifestyle in the case of the breadwinner's untimely demise.

    - Refuse to travel to areas and cities where statistical likelihood of assault and/or death are high.

    - and of course, everyone's favorite - carry a loaded pistol around with you.


  2. #2
    Member Array Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    63
    Your "poll" is incredibly biased. I can do that too.

    Where does deciding to be an unprepared herd animal fall into your list of daily activities?

    - Get up
    - Shower
    etc etc

    Why carry for my family's safety? Because like in every third world country and combat zone I've ever visited, there is a real and present threat. So I'd tuck this in there.

    - Carry defensive options to decrease the likelihood of my family's victimization.

  3. #3
    Member Array Mr Sir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    LOL, FL
    Posts
    95
    This world is passing; our true home is the happiness of heaven.

    -Strive to ensure that I and my loved ones reach that eternal happiness.

  4. #4
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Your "poll" is incredibly biased. I can do that too.

    Where does deciding to be an unprepared herd animal fall into your list of daily activities?

    - Get up
    - Shower
    etc etc

    Why carry for my family's safety? Because like in every third world country and combat zone I've ever visited, there is a real and present threat. So I'd tuck this in there.

    - Carry defensive options to decrease the likelihood of my family's victimization.
    Biased? How so? I never claimed there was no threat. I was simply asking how you rate your preparedness for that threat against these other very relevant issues.

    Showering is not normally a personal risk decision, unless you've read that more people die in the shower than from violent assaults.

    Most of us here are not in third world countries or combat zones. I was simply asking where others place carrying a concealed weapon on a scale with other personal risk-related issues. These would apply to the vast majority of posters here.

    If you want to place your ccw at the top of the list, that's YOUR perspective on your personal risk environment. It's no less valid than where I place it.

  5. #5
    Member Array Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Biased? How so? I never claimed there was no threat. I was simply asking how you rate your preparedness for that threat against these other very relevant issues.

    Showering is not normally a personal risk decision, unless you've read that more people die in the shower than from violent assaults.

    Most of us here are not in third world countries or combat zones. I was simply asking where others place carrying a concealed weapon on a scale with other personal risk-related issues. These would apply to the vast majority of posters here.

    If you want to place your ccw at the top of the list, that's YOUR perspective on your personal risk environment. It's no less valid than where I place it.
    Polling is all about wording. When you say "where does toting a gun around" and "and everyone's favorite, carrying a loaded pistol" and very cleary word everything else, you are looking to make it sound less important and serious a decision as everything else.

    If you use my definition, then you can just add it on to the self-defense part.

  6. #6
    New Member Array JOCO Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    14

    You confuse me

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I wish the poll system here allowed us to do rankings.

    I'd like to ask you, where on this (incomplete) list of security and safety concerns for you and your family does toting a loaded pistol around all day lie?

    - Work hard to ensure yourself a good career and income stream so you and your family can live in a safe(r) neighborhood and the choildren can attend safe(r) schools.

    - Focus on your nutrition and exercise and that of your family to encourage statistically longer, healthier lives.

    - Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.

    - Earn enough to ensure you have safe, reliable transportation for yourself and all family members.

    - Take self defense classes with your family to have non-lethal or lethal options not requiring a firearm.

    - Avoid illegal activities such as illegal gambling, drug use/dealing, theft, embezzlement, etc.

    - Avoid late night carousing and "clubbing".

    - Have enough money and/or insurance so your family can maintain their lifestyle in the case of the breadwinner's untimely demise.

    - Refuse to travel to areas and cities where statistical likelihood of assault and/or death are high.

    - and of course, everyone's favorite - carry a loaded pistol around with you.
    You mention a "loaded" pistol..
    Why would anyone carry an "UNLOADED" pistol? Short club?

    Then you mention "Healthy life styles"
    It takes very little more time for a healthy human to die from a knife wound or a gunshot from a BG then it does an old sickly person..

    You mention making yourself successful..
    That makes me all the more an "attractive target" for a BG seeking to get his fix/needs filled.

    You mention avoiding the vices like alcohol..
    MY alcohol drinking is not the problem, it's the BG's booze that creates most problems and a LOADED PISTOL is often the only answer in cases like that.

    Then there is the "safe and reliable" transportation you mention..
    That is exactly what attracts "Car Jackers"..Another reason to have a LOADED PISTOL.

    Self defense classes were another thing that you are interested in.
    They are good, as a matter of fact I am a Black Belt but all the time I spent getting that training doesn't help me one little bit if someone shoots a 220gr JHP into my well trained body mast from 20 feet..
    "Non lethal" is just fine in a NON LETHAL situation but it really sucks in a LETHAL one.

    Avoid late night carousing and "clubbing is another concern..

    I am an adult American and I don't have to decide where I can go.. This is a free country and I have always gone where I wanted and will continue to do so..

    "Refuse to travel to areas and cities where statistical likelihood of assault and/or death are high."

    Now this is not always possible and besides that, if I knew for sure where a "loaded pistol" was going to be needed I would not even need my CCH permit.. I just wouldn't go there.

    BTW Nobody enjoys having a couple of pounds of steel stuck in their belt, it's a price we pay to insure the safety and well being of us and our loved ones when we encounter one of the large percentage of this society that think that laws are something to for other folks..

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by JOCO Dave View Post
    BTW Nobody enjoys having a couple of pounds of steel stuck in their belt, it's a price we pay to insure the safety and well being of us and our loved ones when we encounter one of the large percentage of this society that think that laws are something to for other folks..
    Ahh - exactly my point, sir. My question to you (using your words):

    Does having a [loaded] weapon on your belt "insure the safety and well-being of us and our lived ones"?

    I contend it "insures" nothing of the sort. If you assume that by carrying and having proficiency with your ccw "insures" anyone's safety, I would politely disagree.

    Wild Bill Hickok would like a word with you.

    I do wish to point out I am fellow ccw-er here. It is certainly a tool of last resort in a dire situation. That's why I carry like you.

    I am a bit curious why many of my fellow ccw-ers see it as a necessity to insure their well-being and proceed to take serious health risks (such as not wearing a simple seat belt), or ignoring the very real risks of unhealthy lifestyles.

    This was just thrown out there as a thought piece.

    It's not meant to get anyone angry. If this issue causes you to be defensive, you may want to explore why.

  8. #8
    New Member Array JOCO Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    14

    Not defensive

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Ahh - exactly my point, sir. My question to you (using your words):

    Does having a [loaded] weapon on your belt "insure the safety and well-being of us and our lived ones"?

    I contend it "insures" nothing of the sort. If you assume that by carrying and having proficiency with your ccw "insures" anyone's safety, I would politely disagree.

    Wild Bill Hickok would like a word with you.

    I do wish to point out I am fellow ccw-er here. It is certainly a tool of last resort in a dire situation. That's why I carry like you.

    I am a bit curious why many of my fellow ccw-ers see it as a necessity to insure their well-being and proceed to take serious health risks (such as not wearing a simple seat belt), or ignoring the very real risks of unhealthy lifestyles.

    This was just thrown out there as a thought piece.

    It's not meant to get anyone angry. If this issue causes you to be defensive, you may want to explore why.
    If I came off as defensive or upset I can only blame the printed word
    with no inflection or facial responses..

    I could not care less if anyone carries or if they chose to be a "sheep"..

    NOTHING "insures" your safety and any person that thinks it does is a FOOL.. All being armed can possibly do is even out the odds against someone that is armed or impaired.. Well armed police officers get killed on a regular basis..

    Because my business puts me in "harms way" more often then most I have felt the need to carry for a very long time and as soon as my state gave me a legal way to improve my chances of living a long happy life I took it..

    In my personal experience I am 100% positive that being armed has prevented me from being at the least robbed and quite possibly killed on two occasions..That's not a lot of times in my many years on the road, but it confirms my mindset to me anyway..

    I feel that I am neither "trigger happy" or "trigger shy" I know the laws and I obey them.. I know how you feel when you take a life (even if it is the enemy) and it's not a good feeling..

  9. #9
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    You bring up a good point about high-risk occupations. Technically, I'm not in one, so my perceptions are colored differently. It also affects my risk decision process.

    I still contend that if one's goal is to ensure one's person and family well-being, concealed carry must be exercised along with other serious considerations including one's health and safety.

    Please forgive my loaded words. This issue has been on my mind of late. I was curious how others saw it.

    I am also bored to tears with the missus out of town......

  10. #10
    New Member Array JOCO Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    14

    No problems with me

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You bring up a good point about high-risk occupations. Technically, I'm not in one, so my perceptions are colored differently. It also affects my risk decision process.

    I still contend that if one's goal is to ensure one's person and family well-being, concealed carry must be exercised along with other serious considerations including one's health and safety.

    Please forgive my loaded words. This issue has been on my mind of late. I was curious how others saw it.

    I am also bored to tears with the missus out of town......
    My wife is going to a "girls weekend" at the lake this weekend..I approach the situation different then you do.. I am going to go out to the range and burn a few rounds (got a new CT for the 1911)..
    Going to see "Sheriff Joe" tonight..Over the weekend I have some work to do to get my truck ready for the 5th wheel next month.. Then Sunday I plan on slow cooking some ribs and putting some cold beer where it will do the most good in the process.. Hopefully the wife will appreciate the ribs waiting for her when she returns ..

    Now back to business the very best thing a person can do for their personal safety is to use SA 24/7 no matter where you are or what you are doing.. I am sure those folks down in TX at the Luby's felt quite secure as they browsed the buffet and ate their meal.. In the two times I was attacked both were completely "out of the blue" in places where you would never dream there might be a problem.. IMO there are NO safe places..

  11. #11
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Good use of your "alone time".

    I hit the range yesterday. Shot my Kimber Ultra CDP II, Sig P226, and my new Glock 19. An all-around 9mm day of fun - about 300 rounds total.

    Every gun ran like a top. I was reminded again about why I like my little Kimber so much. A guy on another lane saw it and asked about it. He said it sounded like I was shooting a .45 I told him I was all 9mm that day. I let him shoot two magazines. He had an XD 45 and was with a young guy (didn't appear to be his son) and was teaching him with a .22.

    He was amazed at the trigger and accuracy of the Kimber. Oh yeah, THAT'S why I love it so much.....
    Last edited by MadMac; July 13th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,503
    Without the first one...
    - Work hard to ensure yourself a good career and income stream so you and your family can live in a safe(r) neighborhood and the choildren can attend safe(r) schools.
    ...it's very difficult to do the others.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I am a bit curious why many of my fellow ccw-ers see it as a necessity to insure their well-being and proceed to take serious health risks (such as not wearing a simple seat belt), or ignoring the very real risks of unhealthy lifestyles.
    An "unhealthy lifestyle" (WHO makes THAT decision for somebody ELSE?) is a personal CHOICE.

    Getting robbed, raped or murdered ISN'T.

  14. #14
    Member Array gruntingfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright...
    Posts
    321
    Before I go on, I want to point out that I am 100% pro-CHL/CCW, and I'm not saying that there is no threat that justifies carrying.

    I am new to this site (been lurking for about three weeks), and I was also wondering where people put personal health on their list of survival priorities. I know this isn't a fitness site so I wouldn't expect to see a lot of discussion, but since most of us are far more likely to die early of heart disease, cancer, or complications from diabetes than we are to ever be involved in a violent encounter, it has been a question on my mind.

    I come from a family with a history of heart disease (grandfather died a week before I was born from a heart attack at the age of 41, father had quintuple bypass surgery at the age of 43) so I try to take very good care of myself.

    I'm not ready to go quietly whether it's a heart attack or some thug coming after me.

    I am responsible for staying alive to take care of my family, so I do what I can to make that happen.

  15. #15
    Member Array Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    63
    I suppose I'd put fitness/general health and carrying somewhere near each other then, since I exercise daily. You've got me, I don't run with a gun on me. So maybe fitness is higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Priorities for Carrying a Weapon
    By Pistology in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
  2. Setting priorities...
    By boscobeans in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
  3. Get your priorities in order!
    By FreeDelivery in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: January 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
  4. We, as a society, have our priorities backwards.
    By youngda9 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: August 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
  5. New Priorities
    By older gunner in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: October 5th, 2005, 04:27 AM