Upstate NY - need info

Upstate NY - need info

This is a discussion on Upstate NY - need info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, Betty White taught my NRA pistol class that's required to get my permit, and didn't touch on legalities at all. However, she was sure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upstate NY - need info

Upstate NY - need info

So,

Betty White taught my NRA pistol class that's required to get my permit, and didn't touch on legalities at all. However, she was sure to point out which NRA magazine she liked the best for about 20 min, because one had pretty pictures. Needless to say it was a waste of time. My friends taught me basic safety in about ten min - took her an hour. I was wondering - where can you NOT carry. Yes, I searched. No, I didn't find what I was looking for, but if it already exists please link to it. So far:

Federal buildings, state parks, suny schools. But where else - does NYS have the bar law like some others (other than it's not bright? - what if I stop for dinner at a bar?), signs posted, etc? I need to know where not to go. I live in Buffalo - permit app process is almost done after 4 months. Hoping for 6 total.

Thanks!

Check out this website. It is specific for New York and since a few things will depend on which type of permit you get your questions will have a better chance for an accurate answer.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/

bosco

Don't complain, you probably didn't expect much anyway. You've met the requirements for your permit with almost no effort on your part. Now you can put some energy into google and find whatever other info you need. Carrying a gun is part of being self sufficient, get to it!

No worries look at article 35 of the nys penal code.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    So,

Betty White taught my NRA pistol class that's required to get my permit
    , and didn't touch on legalities at all. However, she was sure to point out which NRA magazine she liked the best for about 20 min, because one had pretty pictures. Needless to say it was a waste of time. My friends taught me basic safety in about ten min - took her an hour. I was wondering - where can you NOT carry. Yes, I searched. No, I didn't find what I was looking for, but if it already exists please link to it. So far:

Federal buildings, state parks, suny schools. But where else - does NYS have the bar law like some others (other than it's not bright? - what if I stop for dinner at a bar?), signs posted, etc? I need to know where not to go. I live in Buffalo - permit app process is almost done after 4 months. Hoping for 6 total.

Thanks!
    Let me guess you went to the class at the Buffalo Gun Center? I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you are talking about and if it was up to me she wouldn't be working there at all. But I can't be too mad because she was the one who sold me a PM45 (listed at $795) for the price of a CW45 (listed at $400)

EDIT: Welcome to the forum from another Buffalonian
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I don't know, that Betty White is a tough ol' bird. I'd watch what I say about her if I were you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Sv_z9jm8A

Thanks bosco - i'll take a look. And diablo- yep, bgc. I'll definitely keep her in mind when I go to buy. Got a call end of last week from cheektovegas pd claiming that they sent it back to the county. County today claimed they still don't have it. What the hell. Will call the town again next week and see what is going on.

So no one still has actually come outright and answered my question, without telling me to answer it myself, which i would have, had i been able to find the answer.

So I ask again - anyone, please, help me out here? I read the nys gun law - says what you can own w/and w/out a permit. Doesnt' say crap about where you can or cannot carry.

Your answers can be found here....http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post

EDIT: Welcome to the forum from another Buffalonian
    Welcome, and for the record, not all Buffalonians reside in Buffalo. LET"S GO SABRES!!! ...
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Thanks diablo. 2 specific questions - 10 or more firearms? I know some people around the block or 10 from me that have over 20. It's section 265.04b.

For 190.7 - can you not possess on public camp grounds, or not fire? verbiage here is all odd too.

The one that I'm most interested - carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. What about bars? Obviously, guns and booze don't mix. What if I'm the dd, and going to the laid back corner pub. Do I HAVE to disarm, or is it just "smarter to". The way I read that doc - have to.

CCW - on the fence about the sabres as of late - been a real let down since briere and drury left. As for the Bills - you'll never see me shout go miami, but I won't be shouting go bills anytime soon either. what a waste.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post

CCW - on the fence about the sabres as of late - been a real let down since briere and drury left. As for the Bills - you'll never see me shout go miami, but I won't be shouting go bills anytime soon either. what a waste.
    The rumors about going to toronto are enough to make a grown man cry.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Remember your permit has no value in the boroughs of NYC.

The penal code section 265.04b deals with CRIMINAL possession, meaning that you are in the possession of the guns (handgun or other) illegally...ie. you have no permit or you are a felon etc.

If you have an unrestricted permit in NYS there are no restrictions from carrying in a restaurant or bar. You can even have a drink. As to whether or not you do that is your decision. No schools public or private (not just SUNY), no parks (even town parks to the best of my understanding), no court buildings, no post offices, there is nothing I have found in the law as to signage in places like movies or malls (the signs are there in a few and I honor them). No need to notify LEO (I do). I understand that a few areas have local ordinances (I think Rochester is one). Churches, parades, etc. are OK as long as they are not in park.

These are the basics, anything more specific ask on the NY forum.

OMO

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; July 16th, 2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: added information

I would call Erie County Pistol Permit Office. Easiest way to find out. (716) 858-6600

Bars are legal to carry in but.... remember if you have one drink and have to use your self defensive weapon your "judgement" has been impaired... I know that myself, i dont drink anymore for the most part... never in public, and rarely at home. All schools, state parks (for the time being), colleges, post offices, federal bldgs are off limits. Dont bother calling your local sheriff's office!!! I called Broome County Sheriff's to ask them the same question, and they told me that CCW is a bad idea. They told me i am not allowed to go to bars that serve alcohol, gas stations, supermarkets, or even restaurants... all of which is a lie! He even went as far to tell me i could not even attend any sporting events that had a large number of people... can you believe that? Stay safe, carry wherever you can legally do so, and keep you head on your shoulders, and not up your ass. Bunker

Distinguished Member
    I recommend the Looseleaf law book "Firearms & Weapons Laws: Gun Control in New York." It contains all pertinent laws, case notes commentary from the authors, one of which is a retired NYSP LT. and the other a former NY ADA. It is updated every year and is much more comprehensive than anything you'll find on the web.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links