Taurus 651

This is a discussion on Taurus 651 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at the Taurus 651 .357 as a carry arm. Since I don't know a whole lot about it I was wondering if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 651

Taurus 651

I was looking at the Taurus 651 .357 as a carry arm. Since I don't know a whole lot about it I was wondering if y'all could give me the lowdown. Also I know a .357 can shoot a .38+P , but the question was asked by a buddy of mine "is there a difference between that and a standard .38". I told him I didn't think so but I would check. Your input would be of great assistance.
    Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

2. Remove Ads

buy a smith. seriously they are only 150 more at buds gunshop. I had a 651 and it broke within 500 rounds. They are cheap garbage and the customer service folks are the worst I have ever dealt with. Thank god when the retaining pin broke and the cylinder fell out of the weapon I was doing dry reload practice, if I had been shooting it and the timing went haywire it could have been ugly. I will never buy or own a taurus again as a matter of fact I wouldn't take one if it were free

TAURUS JUNK

and to answer your question YES any weapon chambered in .357 will shoot .38 +P or 38 special, not teh other way around.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    a 38 special is the standard load;
    a 38 special +P is the same brass but loaded to a higher pressure.
    a 38 special cylinder is cut shorter so it cannot close with the longer 357mag round in it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Thanks for the advise I think at this point the 651 will stay on the shelf.
    Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

I don't know the 651 and have no experience with it. It looks just like a hammerless , or hidden hammer, 605. I would definitely recommend the 605 and has been one of the 5 shot Taurus revolvers I've never heard anyone have an issue with.

Whatever you buy, buy a .357 instead of a .38. Often price is about the same, and you will have a larger market if you ever want to sell it, and if you later decide to shoot .357's you don't have to go get a new gun. In the meantime, it will be a touch stouter barrel, etc. ... and you can shoot the .38 specl's , or .38 specl + P if you want to.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

As I understand it, the +P round is usually around 10% more powerful than the standard pressure round.

I've defended taurus revolvers in the past especially the .38s/.357s

But after just shy of 1500 round the the sear spring failed in my M85UL (very similar internals to a 651). It lost its tension and wouldn't extend. No problem, order a $2-$3 spring and be good to go right? WRONG!. Taurus customer service claims its a "restricted" part and wont sell it. I had to pay shipping to send the gun to them and and wait 7 weeks for the gun to returned. they fixed it and paid return shipping. 200 rounds later the the post the trigger pivots on (not a pin but a post machined into the frame casting) snapped off.

So now I'm 50/50 on paying shipping again for a 2nd warranty claim and selling it, or just cutting the frame in half and calling it done.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    a 38 special is the standard load;
    a 38 special +P is the same brass but loaded to a higher pressure.
    a 38 special cylinder is cut shorter so it cannot close with the longer 357mag round in it.

Actually most .357 cylinders are the same length as those for the .38. They are just cut deeper to accept the longer round.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    buy a smith. seriously they are only 150 more at buds gunshop. I had a 651 and it broke within 500 rounds. They are cheap garbage and the customer service folks are the worst I have ever dealt with. Thank god when the retaining pin broke and the cylinder fell out of the weapon I was doing dry reload practice, if I had been shooting it and the timing went haywire it could have been ugly. I will never buy or own a taurus again as a matter of fact I wouldn't take one if it were free

TAURUS JUNK

and to answer your question YES any weapon chambered in .357 will shoot .38 +P or 38 special, not teh other way around.
    Or you could get lucky like me, and get a S&W on a hella sale. I got mine LESS than the comperable Taurus (I'm not sure wich model, but it was a .38+P, 5 shot no hammer snubbie. ) at my local gun shop. When I went to buy, I planned on looking at the Charter and the Taurus

If your on a budget, look into Charter Arms. I've heard good things about them? I considered a Charter Arms when I got my S&W, but same thing, they were running a RIDICULOUS sale, so I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    I was looking at the Taurus 651 .357 as a carry arm. Since I don't know a whole lot about it I was wondering if y'all could give me the lowdown. Also I know a .357 can shoot a .38+P , but the question was asked by a buddy of mine "is there a difference between that and a standard .38".
    +P is a little stouter than standard. You will feel the difference.

I previously owned a Taurus 617. It broke and had to go back for repair. I also owned a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro. It broke and had to go back for repair. The only Taurus that didn't break was my Taurus 85 .38 special. I don't own any Taurus guns anymore. Get a Smith, Colt or Ruger.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

My mother had a taurus 357. It rusted and the finish peeled. She traded it back to the dealer. He stood behind "his" product, taurus would not. My s@w 642 is older and still looks great. BTW she also taught me how to care for a gun. Do not mess with a farm girl.

I've had a Taurus 605B for a while. Shoots well. No problems. Even though it is .357 mag I only use .38 spl in it. For me .357 in a 2" snub is a bit much.

I've also have had a Taurus 85CHSS for several years. It too has never given me a problem.

I have six Taurus Revolvers®....................

• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special purchased in 1994
    • Mdl 85B2 38 Special purchased 1997
    • Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special+P purchased 2007
    • Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum purchased 1996
    • Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum purchased 2003
    • Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum purchased 2006

Each of these guns have had several thousand rounds through them. They function flawlessly. The only difficulties I've had are as follows.....

• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special purchased in 1994 - replaced firing pin after 11,000+ rounds.
    • Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum purchased 2003 developed increased gap (Cylinder to Forcing Cone,) of .011"; so I sent it in for repair in 2009. I got it back in exactly 5 weeks - they adjusted the crane & yoke and replaced the cylinder.

Both of these guns function perfectly. I would not hesitate to recommend a Taurus® revolver to anyone! If you want accurate information, FROM TAURUS® OWNERS, as to the good, bad, and ugly of Taurus® firearms go here..................

Taurus Armed.net

If you buy a used Taurus® firearm - it's STILL UNDER WARRANTY - whether you are the 2nd owner or the 20th! A Smith & Wesson® only warrants the original purchaser; TAURUS® WARRANTS THE GUN ITSELF - FOR LIFE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links