Why is Delaware so stupid?

This is a discussion on Why is Delaware so stupid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Delaware and have seen the application and steps necessary to obtain a CCDW permit in this State. While most of it makes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Delaware so stupid?

I live in Delaware and have seen the application and steps necessary to obtain a CCDW permit in this State. While most of it makes sense to me (fees, passport photograph, application, fingerprints), there are two things that I find totally stupid. Namely:

1. The fact that I need to get written "reference questionnaires" from 5 different citizens from my County. This means I have to personally ask someone to fill out a 1 page paper stating that I'm not a crazed killer and that they'd be ok w/ me carrying a concealed weapon.

Great, there's 5 people that didn't have to know my desire to carry a concealed weapon.

and even worse:

2. The fact that I need to arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in my County to have my application published once, at least (10) days before the filing of my application with the Court. Newspaper of selection must have a circulation of at least 35% of the population in my zip code. AND, I have to use my whole name and my home address.

Oh, ok. Now the general public knows my name, my address, and the fact that I'll probably have a concealed weapon on me.

How freakin' stupid is this?? Isn't the basic definition of "concealed" something like "to prevent disclosure or recognition of, or to place out of sight"??? Don't you think it defeats the purpose of "concealed" when you announce this concept to the general public in a freakin' newspaper??

Maybe it's just me, but these 2 steps in completing my application are really rediculous and unnecessary, and totally defeat the concept of "concealed carry."

Add to these issues the fact that Delaware is a "may issue" State. After all of this, the judge can still deny my application for whatever reason.

Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!
    Dave

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Years ago - before I got mine - I heard Alabama had some requirements like getting a few signed ref's saying your ok.

Now you just go into the Sheriff's Dept - Hand over your Drivers license - wait for a quick computer background search - They call you up to the desk (as long as no felony's or anything shows up) - you pay 20 bucks - get your photo taken - they print out your Photo Pistol permit and your done. About 20 min's total in and out....

The next year you get a renewal notice and send a check in the mail & get the next years back in the mail within a couple weeks...
    For God, Family and Country!

Got to agree with you Dave, that is pretty stupid. The requirments are probably there to deter people from even trying to get a permit. This way they can claim to be a state that grants permits, they just don't tell you the mind numbing process they put applicants through to get one.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    only suggestion i have is MOVE TO A FREE STATE lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

In many counties of PA you need two signed references. Berks is one Philadelphia another, that I know of.

VIP Member
    Get Utah or Florida non-resident. In Florida Jeb Bush has signed a law which shields CCW license holder's information from public record disclosure.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I see the laws in DE haven't changed, since I left10 years ago. I heard they lightened up a bit, aparently not, I had to got through all the crap you're explaining dave, to get mine. It took almost a year for me, I think they just make it such a pain, so people won't bother. Delaware's state motto "A small wonder", yeah it's a small wonder I lived there as long as I did. OBTW dave you hail from Wilmington I used to live in Newark.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

What's worse is that the proposed "shall issue" law doesn't change any of that nonsense, and in fact makes it worse: if the law passes as amended, the courts will then have access to all of your medical records, and there will be something like 15 new places that are off-limits.

It's stupid, I totally agree. PA's process (which sounds like Alabama's) is much better. I am thinking of advising my dad to move just cross the border into West Chester.

Yea, its rediculously(sp?) easy to get a permit in Alabama.

Dave, its a shame that Delaware makes people that want to defend them selves anonimously(sp?) take an add out in a paper to inform everybody that you want to carry a conceiled handgun.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Dave, its a shame that Delaware makes people that want to defend them selves anonimously(sp?) take an add out in a paper to inform everybody that you want to carry a conceiled handgun.[/QUOTE]

Like thats not bad enough, when I lived there, if someone sent a letter to the editor of the newspaper, stating they didn't feel comfortable, with you carrying a hand gun, your application was denied. How's that for democracy?
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Suggestion

Get an out of state permit from somewhere that Delaware recognizes. From the NRA-ILA website these states are recognized by DE: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah. From what I understand Utah, Florida, and Texas are some good ones to have.

It's a shame there's no reciprocity with PA
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Oregon requires three references (on paper) but the newspaper ad just sucks. Just place it in the "legal notices" part of the classifieds which hardly anyone reads unless they specify where you have to put it.

VIP Member
    Delaware is so stupid because it's getting a lot of garbage contamination from New Jersey.

It's crazy when publications decide they're doing society a service when they decide to publish the identities of all the permitholders in their state. I've never followed Delaware's permit process, so it's a shock to me that they make you publish your application, plus get the 5 written referances. But then again, I live in TN.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Delaware is so stupid because it's getting a lot of garbage contamination from New Jersey.
    That's only part of the problem. They also share a border with MD who isn't far behind NJ in their gun genius.

Speaking of NJ, here's a good one:
    Assembly Bill 2602, which would ban possession and purchase of any and all ammunition by anyone who does not possess a valid firearms purchaser identification card (NJFID), a certified copy of a permit to purchase a handgun (need a NJFID in order to get this therefore redundantly redundant), a valid permit to carry a handgun (ha), or a valid New Jersey hunting license (not sure if they banned hunting yet) has passed the House and is awaiting a hearing in the Senate.

In summary if you are from out of state and in NJ you can not possess or buy ammo, period. Let this be the last we speak of this.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Assistant Administrator
    I wonder why some of this stuff reminds me so much of back in UK when I still had my guns - except I find it hard to equate ''right'' as in America, with ''privelage'' tho danged if they aren't making it a ''privelage'' at best

Smells greatly of thin end of wedge - as in other places. It is so unconstitutional it beggars belief.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links