Had my first LE encounter while carrying.

This is a discussion on Had my first LE encounter while carrying. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on my way to a doctor's appointment this morning and while sitting at a red light, I got rear ended by a Suburban ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had my first LE encounter while carrying.

Had my first LE encounter while carrying.

I was on my way to a doctor's appointment this morning and while sitting at a red light, I got rear ended by a Suburban - MAN those things hit hard! My poor little Toyota looks to be totalled, rear bumper folded down, tailgate smashed in and a bit of frame damage. Both the other driver and I were unhurt and, thankfully, he has insurance AND SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!

I called 911 to report the accident and talked with the other driver while we waited. Seems to be a decent guy, he apologized and said he just couldn't stop in time. Traffic HAD stopped a little abruptly but I'd spotted him in my mirror a good two blocks back before he hit me. No biggie, nobody was injured and insurance will cover the damage.

The responding officer arrived and took all our info so when I handed her my license, I gave her my HCP at the same time. I told her that I didn't know if she needed it or not but I wanted her to be aware of the situation. She glanced at it for about a half second, handed it back and walked back to her car with our DLs and other paperwork - never said a word about it and it seemed to be a non-issue . She was about 5'-2", blonde and had a gun ... unfortunately, she didn't want to strip search me .

Had to call my wife from the shop where I dropped off my truck, she was nervous of course but I'm home now and everything's fine. I'm waiting to hear back from his insurance agent about a loaner vehicle and an idea of how long it'll take to get a settlement check (if they agree it's totalled).

BTW, my truck's a 1995 4WD Toyota w/ manual tranny and 109K miles. Figure I'll be lucky to get $6,000 for it. Oh well, I wanted an automatic anyway.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    first as long as you're alright everything else is easy.
    Here in Fla that's about the reaction I get in my dealing's with LEO's.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    Glad you weren't injured, Jack! I think that the police are getting used to dealing with concealed weapon permit holders...it's not the novelty that it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    She was about 5'-2", blonde and had a gun ... unfortunately, she didn't want to strip search me .
    In spite of your pleading?
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Glad your ok, sounds like you handled it very well!
    Curry

i heard there's two types of female LEO when they find out your carrying a weapon. you had the better side. but then again i guess it's how you present it... you shouldn't be like, I HAVE A GUN AND I'M NOT SCARED TO USE IT!! LoL~!

on the flip side, you should still get check out by a doctor. i'm sure you'll be pretty sore after a couple of days, weeks or months from now. you want that documented so the other guy's insurance can pay for your medical bill.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i heard there's two types of female LEO when they find out your carrying a weapon.
    Its not a sexual issue so please dont make it one , IMHO most officers dont worry about anyone with a ccw , they worry about the idiots without them that are packing .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks guys, guess it just surprised me that she had no reaction at all. I figured she'd at least ask where it was or something.
    Jack

yeah, that was dumb of me. sorry bout that.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    np cal, and Jack , her concern about your armiment went out the window with two factors , 1. you were calm and visiting with the other fella , and 2. you announced your ccw . Why would she waste her time and create any aggervation over the weapon given the above 2 factors . she needed to get on to the next call not background you lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    BTW, my truck's a 1995 4WD Toyota w/ manual tranny and 109K miles. Figure I'll be lucky to get $6,000 for it. Oh well, I wanted an automatic anyway.
    Jack
    Don't be suprised if they over you 1,500 to 2,000 for it !!
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

VIP Member
    Glad to hear.

I got the same reaction from a Washington State Patrol trooper when I smacked the deer and destroyed my truck. When he had me get into his car so he could do the paperwork (no cuffs, I swear, it was just dark and cold out), I told him I had a gun and asked if he wanted to hold it. He said he had seen my permit when I got my license out and he didn't want it. That was it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member
    Glad you are OK Jack, cars can always be fixed!
    RKBA

John

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Glad that you are "OK", but as others said, go see a doctor and get checked out. Real whiplash pain doesn't set in for a day or more.

I know because my Wife was rear-ended at a traffic light many years ago, claimed no injury. A week later or so she ended up in PT for the next couple of months, all out of our pocket because we didn't get it checked out immediately! Had she done that, his insurance would have paid for everything.

As for handing over a CCW, fine if your state REQUIRES it, otherwise ill advised (by many LEOs and not just from MA) unless it will become obvious. Do that in MA (unless you are about to be put on a stretcher) and you'll be proned out eating asphalt. As far as many MA LEOs are concerned, normal folks do NOT carry guns! I spent 18 years as a sworn, armed Reserve PO for a municipality plus the last 7 years as a sworn (and armed) Constable. Many LEOs around here are my friends, I interact with many of them (informally) while they are working . . . they never ask and I never tell.

Don't ask, don't tell! [Unless required by law or it will be obvious to the officer.]

Assistant Administrator
    As mentioned Jack - check out the neck situation. That much damage to your car suggests a pretty hard whack for sure.

Glad otherwise no worse for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    the fact that you were armed was the least of concerns for the officer I'm sure...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links