Very close to home!

Very close to home!

This is a discussion on Very close to home! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice kid was gunned down a couple miles from the house. Only the 2nd homicide ever here. Wife is arguing less and less with my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very close to home!

Very close to home!

Nice kid was gunned down a couple miles from the house. Only the 2nd homicide ever here. Wife is arguing less and less with my carrying.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=858222
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Every time there's a report of an armed home invasion around here (and there's an increasing #) I say to the wife, "That's why I have loaded firearms." She nods now instead of rolling eyes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It's too bad it takes an event like this for some people to come around, but I'm glad she is. My wife is still not 100% for it, but one evening in Wichita, largest city in Kansas, she asked to make sure I had it. In our hometown I sometimes get the rolling eyes when I carry everywhere we go, but less and less.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    My wife, who shoots and carries still isn't as committed as I am. She only carries when it's convenient, even though she sees and hears this stuff all the time. It's very frustrating.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Don't feel so bad. Only four people got shot Sunday afternoon here in New Orleans. We have about 250 murders in the metropolitan area every year.

I live 2 miles from this car wash and I use it on occasion. We don't fully know the circumstances yet but apparently the guy turned himself in yesterday. I would think that means he isn't a gang member or a dealer, anyhow still very unsettling.

I am glad I now have my pistol, I am mad this happened my in neighborhood that I moved to to avoid this. I was also glad to hear my wife asking where is the gun as we hear helicopters flying over head and patrol cars cruising our neighborhood the night it happened because the guy didn't turn himself in right away.

I am disappointed in a family member that called me after the story aired telling me this is no reason to have a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by LeadPoison View Post
    Don't feel so bad. Only four people got shot Sunday afternoon here in New Orleans. We have about 250 murders in the metropolitan area every year.
    When you move out of the city and the murders follow you, it pisses you off.

But i understand what you're saying.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My neighborhood was quiet untill this year when a convenience store clerk was shot in the head twice by a robber wielding a .357 magnum. They stole like 30 packs of cigerettes and didn't bother with the cash register. Then one of my friends brother was shot in the chest and killed by a man who ran out with a gun because the kid was breaking into cars. Granted it was the kids fault in a way, but he was running away when he was shot after he dropped the stuff he was gonna steal
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

There is 1,000 people in the town I live in and we have had 3 murders in town this year. Year before that, a guy in my apartment complex shot another guy in my apartment complex. My elderly neighbor has a "Dirty Harry" that she answers the door with. I admit though that the last couple years have been nuts.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

There has been a concerted effort by the politicians and Metropolitan Council to spread the Section 8 subsidized housing out to all the suburbs. When the housing moves out, so does some of the crime. That isn't too far from where I grew up or now live.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

It is truly sad that this happens. I live in a very small town and the wife is finally understanding that no where is completely safe. I found it funny that one day she said that she wondered how long it would take the State Police to arrive here if something happened since we live in the country. Keep safe to all!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Some places are safer than others but no place is 100% safe. You can take measures to improve safety but that doesn't mean it is exempt from criminals. That is why it is more and more important we stay vigilant, arm and train, and seek each other out at places like this forum. Stay safe!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Even if you live in a relatively crime free area, there are always dings, no matter what kind of area it is.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyomeng View Post
    When you move out of the city and the murders follow you, it pisses you off.

But i understand what you're saying.
    Absolutely agree. I have a weekend country house and and if murders followed me there it would really piss me off as well.

Dirtbags flock to the nice areas because that's where all the 'goodies' are. No one is really safe, or in a completely safe area.
    Stay armed...assume nothing...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links