Hypothetical question

This is a discussion on Hypothetical question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me start by saying that I am not going to attemt this nor do I condone it, but.... As most of you know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question

Hypothetical question

First let me start by saying that I am not going to attemt this nor do I condone it, but.... As most of you know a new law has been passed in Florida that allows concealed weapons in National forests and State parks, but it is not effective until Oct. 1 of this year. What if a permit holder was caught in the Forest or State park with a firearm between now and then? The new law says it is ok, so the State has deemed it acceptable to do, so on what grounds could someone be arrested and charged, technically no law has been broken because it has been abolished, it just does not take effect for a few more months? Again just a hypothetical question I was contemplating over my coffee this morning. Maybe I was half asleep, but now I want to know the answer because it has been bugging me all day. Any opinions, precendent, similar cases?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    What if a permit holder was caught in the Forest or State park with a firearm between now and then?
    Your screwed , untill effective date of a new law it has no weight . Kansas passed ccw , but effective date of legal is 01-01-07 if i am not mistaken , and i wouldnt care to be caught over there next door with a pistol untill then .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Yeah

That's kinda what I figured, but you know when you are thinking about something (that you probably already know the answer to) but until you hear it from someone else it just keeps knawing at you like a swarm of mosquitos?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yea so when ya go camping pick something small and hide it real well lol ie dont roll up a " Quigly sharps " into your sleeping bag and expect to get away with it LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Dang

I guess I'll have to leave the M-60 at home until Oct. Not a problem anyway, I will not start camping until bow season anyway and everone I camp with has CCW too!

Actually I don't think Florida (or any other state) has much say in a national forest. If the National Forest Service or National Park Service says No Carry then it is No Carry.

You: "But Florida passed a law"
    Them: "Well golly that is Florida, this is US Government Property..
    get in the car"

Better to call a Forest Service or NPS Ranger before you carry there.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

I live in Colorado.......... As I understand it I can't carry in a national "park." But as far a national forest goes.......... I am good to go.

Anyone out there know (for sure) about the laws regarding having/carrying a firearm in a national forest?

Thanks........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Remember the national forest and parks and even the Department of natural resources make it up as they go along ..

As I understand it the new law only applies to State Parks and forests. They cannot make laws concerning federal lands. I believe they requested a review of the rules with an eye towards changing the rules on federal parks and forests within the state but the feds don't have to change a thing if they don't feel like it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I think there is a diference between Nat. Parks & Nat. Forest.
    No guns in the the parks, Period.

Shoot! I hunt in the National forests, so I'd say it's Ok there too.
    (And if I'm wrong, I'll put a file in the cake I send you.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

1943 - 2009
    I think there is a diference between Nat. Parks & Nat. Forest.
    No guns in the the parks, Period.
    Yep, big difference.

National Forests & National Grasslands are administered by the U.S. Forest Service, a part of the U.S Department of Agriculture. As a general rule, firearms are allowed on these lands.

National Parks are administered by the National Park Service, a part of the U.S. Department of the Interior. Only unloaded and securely stored (locked in a case or container) firearms are allowed on NPS lands. This also includes National Monuments and National Historic Sites. I think there might be an exception for Alaska.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Look on the...

Look on the US Forestry service website and you will see that they do allow firearms in the National Forests, but unlike most Federal laws that trump state laws, they allow the states to decide whether or not to allow it and until just recently it was not allowed in Florida except during hunting seasons established by Fish and Game. Starting July 1 permit holders will be allowed by Fish and Game to carry in Wildlife management areas (WMA's) Most of our National Forests here are also WMA's. Starting in Oct. carry by permit holders will be allowed in State parks and National Forests. The Forestry service handles the Forests and the DEP handles the State Parks. If you go to the Florida Senate website and look at the law that just passed dealing with this, you will see that the DEP will have to amend there rules to allow carry in State Parks. Sorry to be so long winded, but I think there are a lot of people that do not know the difference between National Forests and National Parks. I will post the link to the bill that passed when I find it again.

Here you go

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/inde...1029&Year=2006

H1029 GENERAL BILL/1ST ENG by Baxley; (CO-SPONSORS) Carroll; Clarke; Hasner; Hays; Kreegel; Stansel; Traviesa (Similar CS/S 1546) National Forests/Firearms; repeals provision which prohibits carrying of firearms in national forests; repeals provision which authorizes granting of special permit for carrying of firearms in said forest; repeals provision which provides penalty for violation of certain provisions; requires DEP to amend correlative rule in Fla. Administrative Code to allow possession of weapons in compliance with all Fla. Statutes, etc. Amends 790.25; repeals 790.11,.12,.14. EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/01/2006.

Could not find on Forestry website

This is a link to the NRA federal firearms laws dealing with National parks and National Forests.

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearm...0and%20Forests

Code of Federal Regulations Title 36 "Parks, Forests, Public Property"
    NOTE: The National Parks are administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The National Forests are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    Generally, firearms are prohibited in National Parks but permitted in National Forests.
    Firearms being transported through a Park must be rendered "inoperable": unloaded, cased, broken down (if possible) and out of sight. The ranger or gate attendant must be notified of the presence of firearms upon entering the Park.
    Firearms and hunting are permitted in National Forests in accordance with state law. Firearms are prohibited in any National Forest designated a game refuge or wildlife preserve except where authorized by the Forest Service.Violation of state firearms laws is prohibited in all National Forests.
    Regulations concerning firearms in National parks and Forests may be found in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Until then don't do it, just plain and simple. However, Florida really loves it citizens and understands how important it is for them to be able to fully protect themselves. Come on North Carolina, do something...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links