My experience with LEO this weekend.......

This is a discussion on My experience with LEO this weekend....... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about this a lot lately and trying to decide if I would tell the LEO or not because in CA we ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My experience with LEO this weekend.......

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and trying to decide if I would tell the LEO or not because in CA we don't have to. The instructor in my CCW class said not to mention it unless you have to in CA. He said the LEO's in CA like to make a big deal out of it, clear the weapon, run a full check on you and the weapon and then let you go with a big fat ticket. I don't think that would be true or not so I have been kicking this around.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Boy, I hope that attitude catches on! Again I'll say that it just shows your genuine concern for their safety when you volunteer that kind of information. And I'm sure they appreciate it. There well may be some rough encounters ahead, but we have to get through them. This one worked out GREAT.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Good for him. It's called "professional courtesy!" Nice to see sensible LEO's isn't it.

Not, too flame, romp or rave, but why are we so afraid of LEO's ? I was always taught that as long as you are doing the right thing that you are fine. Thus, if you were legally carrying and are a good guy, doing the right thing there should be no need to be afraid. I guess I still belive that the good guy always wins.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I gotta say it God bless Texas.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Glad you had a good experience 64 zebra!
    I think for the safety of everyone involved I would notify the officer I was carrying a weapon.
    I live in california. When I get pulled over I give the officer my DL ,Police ID and tell him I am carrying a weapon and give him the location of the weapon.
    Why risk having the officer or his partner getting jumpy by seeing the gun or noticing it before you tell them. Then, more than likely they will pull you out at gunpoint and then sort out you CCW Status later. It is best to be up front and hand him or her your ccw permit with your DL and tell them where your weapon is. They will appreciate you being up front and this also shows that you are a RESPONSIBLE gun owner who is concerned about safety.

I had a similar experience with a broken trailer light a few years ago here in Indiana.

I'll give BlueLion a +1 too. Right is right.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

VIP Member
    ....excellent!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Not, too flame, romp or rave, but why are we so afraid of LEO's ? I was always taught that as long as you are doing the right thing that you are fine. Thus, if you were legally carrying and are a good guy, doing the right thing there should be no need to be afraid. I guess I still belive that the good guy always wins.
    Amen to that...well said...

It sure seems that most people are afraid of everything and everybody these days

A righteous man walks tall and is not afraid to look anyone in the eye....and he dang sure dosent have to be apologetic to any cop for doing what is lawfull...

The only thing I would recommend doing differently is to have the inside/dome light one before the officer reaches your vehicle. My first car was an '84 Cutlass with jet black tinted windows (many years ago). I got pulled over for speeding on the way home from work one night and before the officer even had his car in park I'd pulled over, parked, turned on the dome light and had my hands on the wheel waiting for him. I was pretty well scootin' down the road but he let me go with a warning, that wasn't really my goal but I knew I wouldn't want to approach a car like mine in the dead of night with no idea who was inside. A little consideration goes a long way.
    Jack

I have to second blue lion there's no reason to fear LEO's. I would rather tell the LEO I was armed then him /her seeing a gun and reacting. Most LEO's are reasonable but yes there are some who are not.

I Give 'em the Benefit of the Doubt

That was a great encounter. Even if he would have given you a ticket, its still a good encounter.

As far as informing the LEO that I am carrying, I would absolutely do so. I know there is a risk of having an anti over-react but I believe in giving the cop the benefit of the doubt. They have a difficult job to do and I want to make things as easy for them as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I will be the first the complain when a cop crosses the line, but I have to believe that the vast majority are good standup guys and gals.

Times have changed since I was a kid. Back then cops got respect from most people. Now it seems like they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. We take the actions of a few and attribute them to all LEO's. I want to help out the good guys.

So, if I get pulled over I will turn on the dome light, get my CCW, drivers license and registration ready, keep my hands on the wheel and use the phrases "sir" and "ma'am" not because I am trying to get out of a ticket but because I will start with the premise that they are the good guys and give them the respect we used to give 'em.

VIP Member
    +1 PaulG

...and maclean3...the dome light was on, just didn't mention it....and it didn't do much good, his spotlights made my Ford Escape look like it was high noon LOL
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by calireserve
    Glad you had a good experience 64 zebra!
    I think for the safety of everyone involved I would notify the officer I was carrying a weapon.
    I live in california. When I get pulled over I give the officer my DL ,Police ID and tell him I am carrying a weapon and give him the location of the weapon.
    Why risk having the officer or his partner getting jumpy by seeing the gun or noticing it before you tell them. Then, more than likely they will pull you out at gunpoint and then sort out you CCW Status later. It is best to be up front and hand him or her your ccw permit with your DL and tell them where your weapon is. They will appreciate you being up front and this also shows that you are a RESPONSIBLE gun owner who is concerned about safety.
    +1

Show the officer some respect and responsibility and he will most likely show you the same. I get to work alongside many of the LEOs in my area and they are a top notch group of professionals. Show them the respect and you will certainly get it in return. Do wrong by them and you'll wish you hadn't. Just the way it should be.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

During my CHLcourse my instructor had said that LEO here in Texas loves CHL's. He said that he has been pulled over 10-12 times in the past 15 years and has not 1 gotten a ticket. Now I know he may have been stretching it a bit, but I have to believe it's somewhat true. Another friend of mine that retired after 28 yrs as a LEO said he had NEVER given a CHL a ticket for simply speeding. Again, I think this echoes the sentiment that LEO's here in Texas appreciate us law abiding citizens that show respect for the law and exercise our right to carry.

I myself appluad the brave men and women of Law Enforcement. The y do an unbelievably tough job that most people could not do and get little in return.

Cheers,

Jason
    San Antonio,TX.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links