My experience with LEO this weekend....... - Page 3

My experience with LEO this weekend.......

This is a discussion on My experience with LEO this weekend....... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Texas we're required to inform LEO that we have a CHL and are carrying when we are stopped; we also have to hand our ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VIP Member
    In Texas we're required to inform LEO that we have a CHL and are carrying when we are stopped; we also have to hand our CHL and driver's license to the LEO together. I've only had one stop since I received my CHL, and it was for a front headlight out. I handed the officer my DL and CHL and before I could say I was carrying, she asked me if I was carrying. I answered yes, and she said to take care of the light and gave me back my licenses. I said a great big "Thank You, officer."

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor
    In Texas we're required to inform LEO that we have a CHL and are carrying when we are stopped; we also have to hand our CHL and driver's license to the LEO together. I've only had one stop since I received my CHL, and it was for a front headlight out. I handed the officer my DL and CHL and before I could say I was carrying, she asked me if I was carrying. I answered yes, and she said to take care of the light and gave me back my licenses. I said a great big "Thank You, officer."
    Last month I didn't get it quite so easy in Austin, but to be fair I was going rather fast. I was still in range to take the DSC and get the ticket dismissed though.

The officer asked for my DL and insurance, and I notified him I was carrying. He said "I don't need the weapon, just your license and insurance". I grabbed my DL and CHL at the same time (as legally required to do so) even though he hadn't asked. I think it bugged him as he didn't even glance but handed it back, went and wrote me the ticket (which I knew I was getting from the moment I spotted the officer do to my speed.) and asked that I pull out carefully because everyone was driving fast that day...

I now have to make extra sure to follow the speed limits for the next 12 months to avoid a ticket on my driving record.

I had been following at quite a distance another vehicle that was going fast expecting that he would likly get a ticket and my radar detector would give me time to slow down. Unfortunately for me, the officer pulled onto the higway just behind me and never saw the faster vehicle and never had to use his radar.

What Weeg said

Been carrying in Texas for over 4 years. Traffic stop twice. Same results as poster. Ah, the great state of Texas!

I had a cop in MA call out half the department (3 cars with sirens) because he "smelled gunpowder" in the car and the three of us answered in the affirmative when asked if we had guns when he stopped the driver (not me) for a traffic violation.

The conclusion after a check of the driver's license, and asking for "2 ccws" (not sure why 2 when there were 3 in the car) was "I'm writing you a warning. You are exercising your right as Americans to be armed and that is a good thing."

And yes, it was really the PRM.

I have a good friend who's brother is a DPS Officer (State Trooper). I had the opportunity to discuss the subject of concealed carry here in Texas. His response was nothing but positive and that it was made a part of his training. His instructor even made very positive comments when relating to the subject. He has talked to other DPS Officers that feel the same and has yet to come across one who is negative about the issue. I told him of the three stops I had encountered with LEO's of different departments. The first was a DPS Officer, second was a Deputy Sheriff and the third was a city cop. One issued a warning for a taillight out, the other two after checking my DL and CHL let me go with only a verbal. All were very professional and the encounter's were plesant.

I deffinately do not want to test then all!!! The city cop asked me what I carry and why. I showed him my Wilson Combat 1911 Professional and he ooood and ahhhd. I told him my choice of caliber was the 45acp due to my experiences in war and just casual shooting.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    I immediately tell him I'm a chl and I do have a weapon on my right hip and one in the console (hands still on the steering wheel).
    His response.........taps on the door and says, "y'all are good to go, have a nice night." He walked back to his car and drove off. I didn't even begin to get out my driver's license, hands were still on the wheel.
    Compare that to Massachusetts: I was pulled over by Statie, (for going too fast throught the EZ-Pass lane). As I opened my wallet to pull out my driver's licence, he spotted my CCW permit.

"Are you armed right now?" he asked in a very hostile voice.
    "No sir, " I answered.
    "Why do you feel the need for concealed carry?" he asked, again, angrily.

I told him I was a high school biathlon coach (half-true. that was ten years ago) and found that transporting a bunch of rifles is easier with a CCW (Also true). I didn't volunteer that I carry because it's my right to do so. I felt if I had, he would have pulled me out of the car and frisked me on general principles.

This answer calmed him down a bit, but I suspect when he saw that permit, he was 98% ready to give me a ticket for whatever offense he felt like.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I've had good experiences and bad experiences.

The good experiences usually end up with a gun discussion with the officer and, seeing that I am a "proper person and upstanding citizen," I am usually let go (I have a lead foot fellas. You know how it is when you've been driving for a while... 60 feels like 30).

The bad has turned out very bad. For example, one officer whom I didn't know was attempting to clear the chamber on my pistol, which he felt the need to unload, and ended up with it in SA mode, safety off, with the muzzle pressed against his body trying to work the slide so the shell would fall into his hand instead of the ground. I almost told him to just point it in a safe direction and let it fall; I had more, but I didn't want to make him jump 8-|

Then there was the time when I was driving away from a friend's in dead winter. A young man, about 20-23, waved me down and asked for a ride. No biggie; this is a small town. I let him in. The next thing I know I have a cruiser in front of me, blocking the street. I stopped my 4x4 (just a respectable, unmodified S-10). The kid told me that I could go; the officer would let me around. I responded that I wasn't going anyplace and neither was he. He began to move his hands, I ordered him to stop, and grabbed the butt of my pistol on my left side, out of his view, but popped the retaining strap loud enough for him to hear.

Backup units arrived and I rolled down my window for license and registration check. The first thing they did however was go to the passenger side, open the door, and yank him out.

I finally get called over to a squad car with an older officer whom I did know. By this time my weapon had been taken for serial number check etc. I was being asked questions as to whether I knew this person etc. I told the officer exactly what happened and then asked him what was going on. Seems the kid was wanted and was trying to flee the state. So much for good intentions.

When I was allowed to leave (thank God, finally) I was given my pistol back and told by a young cocky officer that my 15 round mags were illegal. I told him they weren't, and explained to him the grandfather clause in the AWB. He didn't like that explaination and told me that he'd be checking it and getting back with me. Somebody must have told him I was a good guy because I never heard from him again on that subject and get "chatted up" by him whenever I see him!

Lessons learned include no giving rides to strangers anymore, not even in Smalltown, USA, where people used to be able to trust others, and that with a bit of education, anti-gun officers can be turned when they find out the whole story, or sit down and actually talk to them like humans. I almost never address an LEO as "officer" or "deputy" unless I just don't know his name. I learn the name and it's "Hi Ricky, how's business? Keep that vest on!" or "How are things, Ryan? You stay safe now."

In other words, I don't like the "us vs them" barrier and do my best to ignore it. I've not had a negative response to that approach yet. I've ended up sitting in squad cars fully armed with the officer fully convinced (rightfully so) that I'm on his side.

I guess all I'm really saying here is that I don't really believe in bad officers anymore. There are good officers, and there are those waiting to become good officers. The pains in the butt are those who become LEOs for the wrong reasons, like the kid who was picked on mercilessly in high school. Now he has the badge and can do the picking... and will too.

Overall though, most are great :)

Josh <><

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    In Florida that's not an unusual stop.
    LEO's like us CCW types. We just happen to be good guys most of the time.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links