Carrying in a Fitting Room

This is a discussion on Carrying in a Fitting Room within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried while shopping for clothes for my first time. I felt a bit odd, remove firearm, lay it on the bench....drop pants.. I felt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a Fitting Room

Carrying in a Fitting Room

I carried while shopping for clothes for my first time. I felt a bit odd, remove firearm, lay it on the bench....drop pants.. I felt like I was being watched. I half expected LEOs outside the door lol!.

But after a few fittings I got used to it. strangely enough my fiancee did not comment when she saw me undressing.

anyone get that feeling?
    Last edited by ctsketch; July 16th, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    if theyre watching they get what they deserve...and i wouldnt consider it pleasant in my case...if it makes their eyes wide and they decide to act on it then they are going to have some explaining to do....

Why did you have to lay on the bench to drop your pants???

Just kidding........I have no problem in fitting room as most have a mirror and I do not have to exit to check things out. If it doesn't have a mirror, then wife will step in and take care of my "valuables" while I step out to a mirror. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Why did you have to lay on the bench to drop your pants???

Just kidding........I have no problem in fitting room as most have a mirror and I do not have to exit to check things out. If it doesn't have a mirror, then wife will step in and take care of my "valuables" while I step out to a mirror. JMO
    fixed..smartalec :p

The dressing rooms had mirrors so I was okay there
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Actually, I always fit new trousers with my IWB carry rig inside the fitting room. I find that there is a great deal of size variability as per trouser labels so, to insure a good concealed carry fit, I try on the trouser with the rig in place. Works for me
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I always wear my MTAC when I buy clothes, especially pants. If you are going to try on pants without your holster and belt, you may as well skip trying them on all together.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Yes, it's uncomfortable, I usually just try to cover it up and never stray far from that room. dairycreek has a good point, even though I've figured out what waist size I need it would be best to holster up just to make sure. I've often wondered if it was strictly illegal in all states to have video monitoring in any dressing room or bathroom, I'm pretty sure it is.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I've often wondered if it was strictly illegal in all states to have video monitoring in any dressing room or bathroom, I'm pretty sure it is.
    I'm pretty sure that it is illegal. However, I've heard of cases where companies break the laws. If they were to confront you about it, they'd be opening themselves up to admit that they were videotaping the dressing rooms.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I usually wear my belly
    band holster which bypasses this problem.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    I usually wear my belly
    The way your text shows up on my screen I only read the above only. I know I'm a tad tired at the moment but my first thought was how does he wear his belly.

Thanks for making me think and then laugh.

For a truly unique experience, get fitted for a suit while carrying. Their casual nature during the process is comforting, but disconcerting!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member
    I did this recently and my biggest concern was that while I was trying, I removed the gun from the holster and put it into my purse while I was wrangling with the holster on the pants I was trying. It made me nervous to have the trigger unprotected while doing this.

Lesson learned was to bring an empty spare purse holster to put the gun in while wrastling with the new clothes.

Other than that, no problem. I think the people at store have better things to do than spot ccw carriers. They will probably just think you are a cop anyways and will lay low.

(p.s. I was a personal shopper at Nordstrom and a dept manager at Macys in the past lives....really I don't think they give a rip as long as you are buying and behaving politely)

Did this recently myself, had to try on new pants with the IWB holster for correct fit.
    Felt a little funny at first and was worried a little that I would drop on floor.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" Wayne LaPierre

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I carried while shopping for clothes for my first time. I felt a bit odd, remove firearm, lay it on the bench....drop pants.. I felt like I was being watched. I half expected LEOs outside the door lol!.

But after a few fittings I got used to it. strangely enough my fiancee did not comment when she saw me undressing.

anyone get that feeling?
    BTDT; these days I buy exclusively ready-to-wear clothes off the dept. store racks. However - back when we all wore ties to work and before Dockers - I had a few pairs of wool slacks tailored at a nice store in West Hartford. A quiet word to "my guy" at the store made the fitting a private experience. Apparently I was far from his first customer to require similar service, and he didn't bat an eye.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    no----------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links