Workplace carry

This is a discussion on Workplace carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was in a meeting the other day where i work and we have a policy called "10 deadly sins". they are a list of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workplace carry

Workplace carry

i was in a meeting the other day where i work and we have a policy called "10 deadly sins". they are a list of 10 things that will get you terminated with no questions. one of the things on the list is carrying a weapon on the premises. i dont have my ccw yet, but ill be getting it soon and i was wondering if anyone else have had to worry about this while carrying? do you carry while at work considering your not a LEO? if so, how is your take on this?
    "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

2. Remove Ads

my work does not allow carrying a weapon as its a county building. i carry to work place my weapon in a gun rug in the car and i carry as soon as i leave. i carry everywhere all the time but its not worth me losing my job and families income over. besides i park as close to the gate as possible.

We can carry on company prop. as long as it is something that has been run by the boss. I am usually the first one or two here in the morning and we work in a less than desirable part of town. There are many transients, prostitutes and drug deals that happen around here. It is nice that I can carry into work. They would prefer us not to carry around the building and to secure the weapon during the day.

There are several threads on this subject already. Many good points made in them. Take a look.

BTW, welcome to DC.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

My Thoughts...

If you don't mind getting fired for not following company rules, then carry.

My company has the same rule. I obey it.

Mike

The company I work for does not have a written policy one way or the other. I carry at work, but do not tell anyone there. If there was a policy in place, or management asked me not to carry, I would not. It's not worth losing my job.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    It was demanded and required that I carry mulitple weapons at my place of business. Of course I was a Federal LEO for 20 years and a Chief of Police for 14.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

i just took a job where i got to use my own car for work.and now i cant even keep one in my in my car while working.if i thay find out i keep one in there i will be fired

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sin? See my sig line.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Sin? See my sig line.
    Maryland flight paramedics are also Maryland state troopers so they are armed while treating but if one of them is working on you, you are in very bad shape and will not notice their sidearm.

They are always looking though.... http://recruiting.mdsp.org/medics.asp

If I would carry at work under those conditions would depend upon if it's a company policy or a state law. I work in a FL school, so there is no choice.
    If it were only company policy, then I have to weigh how tough the neighborhood is as compared to my willingness to be fired. Concealed is concealed!IMHO (but it has to be legal)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I would carry at work under those conditions would depend upon if it's a company policy or a state law. I work in a FL school, so there is no choice.
    If it were only company policy, then I have to weigh how tough the neighborhood is as compared to my willingness to be fired. Concealed is concealed!IMHO (but it has to be legal)
    Makes two of us. Teaching at a state university in FL means no choice for me...and the U where I work has also made it policy to exercise its right under state law to prohibit even having a weapon in one's vehicle in the parking lots on campus.

I have no doubt I would face termination were I to violate this.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

i guess i should have chose a different way of asking my question as i didnt mean to offend anyone on my question. i was thinking that with it being concealed it might be a little above and beyond that law. i understand not carrying in schools and such but as for where i work (a major hotel/restaurant), it might be one of them things where out of sight/out of mind applies. thank you all very much for the thoughts and comments!
    "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

Obey the Law and Company Policy you won't be going wrong.

I have a "gun box" in my truck, carry to work, lock it up and carry after work. So I guess if there is a "workplace shooting" I'll be one of the "unlucky" unarmed victims but i will keep my job.

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

In Utah businesses MUST allow their workers to keep their guns in their vehicles in the parking lot. Otherwise a worker would be denied protection to/from work. However, businesses can have a "no weapons" policy in the building and can enforce that by firing the culpable.

My company has such a policy and I don't like it. Once I was in working on a Saturday and the place was being robbed. I actually unknowingly bumped into one of the thieves. It's a big place so I didn't think anything about not knowing the person. Also, we had a bomb threat recently.

I'm actually thinking of approaching the management and asking for a quiet exception to the rule.

I am not a lawyer and this may be completely wrong. (I'm going to have to add this to my sig :) )
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links