Carry All the Time?

Carry All the Time?

This is a discussion on Carry All the Time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Today I purchased my first handgun (Glock 19) at a local gun show. I also purchased a concealment purse. I did this so I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Carry All the Time?

Hello,

Today I purchased my first handgun (Glock 19) at a local gun show. I also purchased a concealment purse. I did this so I can carry my gun when I am out at night. What about during the day?

When y'all carry your gun, is it all of the time? Do I take it when I go grocery shopping or when I run to the mall? If so, why would I want it at those places? I am just trying to be proactive, but not paranoid.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Welcome!
    And stand by for a ton of advice!
    The general consensus here is "Carry everywhere legal" as you truly never know where potential violence can strike.

You'll get plently of direct answers, but I also suggest you grab a cup of coffee, settle in and just start pouring over threads here. You'll learn alot, and you can fill in the blanks later too.

Cheers!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

First of all congrats on the permit and gun.

Regarding your question there's nothing paranoid about being armed all the time. If you have a concealed weapon permit you should be armed at all times unless you are in a prohibited location such as school, public building, etc. Doesn't matter what time of day it is.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    By the way, here's two quick resources for you:

http://www.corneredcat.com/

http://web.mac.com/mj_lauer/iWeb/Ran...y/Welcome.html

The second link is the blog of one of our members, Lima.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I assume you have a CCW license. If not, you better get one BEFORE you start carrying.. After, carry everywhere where it is legal to carry.

When I walk out of the house my NAA 380 is with me. Winter, spring, summer and fall I make sure it goes with me. I have several different ways I carry depending on my clothing. Most of the time it is in a Desanti Nemisis in my back pocket but sometimes that is not the best so I have other holsters to carry in different postions.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Great News on the CWPL, As far as CCing goes carry ALL the time As the law lets you/ Stay Armed & Stay Safe ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Congrats, welcome, and yes. Always carry, never tell. The BGs don't only come out at night, and you don't ever get a 20 minute warning that they are coming. Be ready, and be vigilant... and by that I don't only mean to always have your gun, I also mean shoot as often as you can, and learn from anyone who will teach you. There will always be one better, but the more you know, the less of them there are.

Good luck, enjoy.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase and yep....I agree with the above posts.....carry where ever legal. It will become second nature and then you won't feel right without it. Stay safe!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I carry pretty much everywhere even in my house,unless you have a crystal ball that can foretell the future I can name countless crimes that occurred in and outside the home at all hours of the day.One thing about off body carry,is if you lay your purse down and walk a few feet away,you are now seperated from your weapon,and if a thief grabs your purse while you carry in your purse,he now has your purse and gun,best way to carry is in a good holster and belt combo on your body
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Congratulations! As others have stated... I carry everywhere I go where it is legal: grocery store, gas station, theater, restaurant, walking the dog, etc... If I'm legally able to carry I'm carrying. I feel so weird right now because we just arrived in CA today for a 3 week trip and I can't carry here. But i was carrying all the way through CO, WY & UT and when we stopped for the night we made sure the stop in Wendover was on the UT side of the state line because I knew I couldn't carry in NV. Just know where you can and can't carry... plan around it if you need to... but my advice would be carry everywhere it is legal for you to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    I assume you have a CCW license. If not, you better get one BEFORE you start carrying.. After, carry everywhere where it is legal to carry.
    Yes, I have the permit. That was how I was able to purchase the gun today and walk out with it.

Thanks for the replies.

Before I took the concealed weapons permit class in April, I had never touched a gun. I have friends who question me as to why I want to own a gun. One friend keeps asking why don't I get an alarm system first. My 23- year old son even told me I don't need a gun. So, this is a very new area for me.

I purchased the purse so I could begin carrying immediately. Since this is all so new to me, I am not sure how I want to carry a gun on my body. I will need to do more investigation (and possibly purchase some new clothing) before I can decide about a holster.

I installed outside lighting last year, have dogs that bark at the least little noise, and now I want to have more protection. I took a one-on-one gun safety class (after I took the concealed weapons class), so I am not a total "newbie" (but I am a bit inexperienced).

Now, I need to find a shooting range I am comfortable with so I can get some practice.

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place. In regards to carrying a gun all the time, I think for most people it is something they work up to. Especially for the person who is totally new to guns.

The more they become comfortable, the more they learn about guns in general, and the quicker they understand that bad things happen out of the blue and can not be predicted, then people tend to carry more often.

Carrying a concealed weapon for a lot of people tends to become a lifestyle change over a period of time. People will learn more about personal responsibility and learn more about them self as time goes on. They will begin to understand that in all reality there are truly no safe places anymore. Not even in your own home. Home invasions are on the rise, they are deadly encounters and often times, unless the homeowner is truly prepared all the time, the outcome isn't too good.

Soon people will learn that violent crime happens when you least expect it. You can not know beforehand whether you are going to need a gun or not... If you could, then you wouldn't go there, would you?

For me, I can't understand the mentality of those who only carry on a "part time" basis. They are the ones who say, "I only carry when I go out at night." or "I only carry if I'm going to a bad part of town." Really? Hang around here long enough and you'll see stark evidence that violent deadly crime happens anywhere at anytime to any and all people. You don't have to go looking for trouble for trouble to find you.

I carry every day, every where I go. My wife does the same. We both have seen violence up close and personal as part of our occupation. My wife especially since she was permanently disabled after being assaulted on the job. After being thrown down a flight of stairs by a mental patient and several knee operations my wife can barely walk without a cane. She can not escape a confrontation by walking away, and certainly not by running away.

Whether you carry every day is going to be a decision you make on your own, however, most people here will advise that you do. Again, it kind of develops into a lifestyle. You will make changes in your life to accommodate it. It is often times physically uncomfortable to lug a gun or two around everywhere you go. Many expert gun trainers will point out, carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting.

I tell people, survival is a very personal thing. It means something different to a lot of people. It's a matter of how much do you value your life? Those who do not place much value on their life, tend to live unhealthy and often times reckless lifestyles. Those who place a premium on their life, for whatever reason, tend to live a more conservative lifestyle. They are more willing to accept the discomfort of carrying a gun around day in and day out. They know they can not consume alcohol out in public like they used to because they are carrying a gun. They learn they can not go to certain places they used to frequent like nightclubs and taverns because of the likelihood of trouble happening at those places.

I recommend you take things at your own pace. And as always, please take the time and spend some money in order to attend some form of professional training. Taking a beginning defensive pistol class will help you in ways you can't possibly imagine. You will understand the use of deadly force laws much better, you will learn how to shoot much better and you will learn how to survive violent encounters. There is no substitute for professional training! Most of the courses are short two day classes held on weekends. Most cost around the price of decent handgun. Some are a little less expensive, some a little more. But again, there is no substitute for getting the proper training. So many people will pay $700 for a gun, $100 for a holster and then don't want to pay anything for training. That's a bad attitude to develop as far as I'm concerned, but then again, your own survival is a personal thing.

Good luck, and I hope you find this forum helpful and you'll become a long term member here. We have a fairly large female membership here as far as gun forums go. That's because Defensive Carry.com is the best gun forum on the internet.

So again, Welcome aboard.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Welcome!
    And stand by for a ton of advice!
    The general consensus here is "Carry everywhere legal" as you truly never know where potential violence can strike.

You'll get plently of direct answers, but I also suggest you grab a cup of coffee, settle in and just start pouring over threads here. You'll learn alot, and you can fill in the blanks later too.

Cheers!

Yup,

Good advice right there, all of it.

It's not being paranoid; it's being prepared and determined not be a victim of some low life predator.

Stay safe, and welcome to the forum.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links