Does your state allow guns in churches? I'm writing to a newspaper, need your input.

This is a discussion on Does your state allow guns in churches? I'm writing to a newspaper, need your input. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Louisiana just passed a law allowing a certain degree of church carry (not the best law, but better than nothing). BTW, there are a couple ...

View Poll Results: Regarding CCW's, what is the status in your state for CCW in places of worship?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely no CCW by anyone

3 1.88%
  • Absolutely no CCW by anyone other than leo or security team

8 5.00%
  • CCW is absolutely legal for any permit holder

73 45.63%
  • CCW is absolutely legal for anyone

7 4.38%
  • CCW can be regulated per church with signage/permission

60 37.50%
  • Other (feel free to comment in the thread)

9 5.63%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your state allow guns in churches? I'm writing to a newspaper, need your input.

VIP Member

Does your state allow guns in churches? I'm writing to a newspaper, need your input.

Louisiana just passed a law allowing a certain degree of church carry (not the best law, but better than nothing). BTW, there are a couple of related threads that have been running about this previously if your'e interested for more details.

A local paper had a short editorial that wasn't supportive about this and typically was written as if Louisiana were the only state that allowed guns in churches. I'm writing a rebuttal (hope it gets printed) and I'd love to have a list of the states that allows guns in churches so I've added a related poll to this. Of course someone may already have a state list to offer, and maybe some of ya'll might have some solid facts, appropriate biblical quotes, or anything else that would be good to use in my rebuttal.

BTW our local politicians were FOR church carry, I want them to see and read my rebuttal, I don't want them to feel bad about their support they gave us.

Any help from ya'll would be appreciated.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

For the life of me I cannot understand WHY legitimately carrying a gun would be forbidden.............what is it, a connotation that a gun is somehow inherently 'evil'................beyond that tortured logic I just refuse to accept that one right has the prerogative to trump another..............a comparative analogy would be a legislative act forbidding the possession of a newspaper on church property!

Stupid law constructed by even stupider legislators!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Stupid law constructed by even stupider legislators!
    I'm not a legislator of course, but I watched this unfold and diligently kept up with the current news about this, and wrote my share of emails in support. I was very proud of the support from the legislators in my district they did a job that any member of DC would be proud to have them in support of any 2A issue.

Here are a few of my comments that I posted on one of the other threads:

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Personally I'm all for church carry, previously it was a restricted area. I was initially thrilled that this legislation came up, however in Committee it began to get watered down. They did overcome some sticky questions. Definition of a "real" church. No carrying in churches on school campuses.

I suppose what we have now is better than nothing. As I read it, it's up to the pastor/governing body to ultimately say yes or no at each church. If approved you sort of become part of a "church security team" after you've had a annual 8 hour course. Not saying that training is bad, just sayin'.

I'm not sure the State should be involved with the church like this, but I guess it does in fire and building codes, etc.

Anyway I'd say it's better than nothing. It has been newsworthy here, hopefully the publicity would at least be some level of deterrent.

Related thread here with two other pro-gun wins: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...oh-horror.html

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I watched some of the committee hearings live and online. As usual the anti's didn't comprehend logic and common sense, they used emotion, erroneous info, and worn-out quotes regarding wild west days.

Frankly I don't think they could be appeased, I think they were against it because being against guns was something they were supposed to be against.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Allowed in Ks, but regulated by the with signs.

In Virginia....prohibited UNLESS you have a "good and sufficient reason"...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In WA it depends on the size of the church.

In FL it is not a problem, and I do NOT need anyone's permission. Mr. Glock goes to church with the wife and I every Sunday...he sits right between us.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    In WA it depends on the size of the church.
    I'm curious...
    I didn't see this in WA law...Places off-limits when carrying:

Washington defines a number of places you cannot carry:
    1. Any place where carrying firearms is prohibited by federal law
    2. Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (RCW 9.41.280)
    3. On the site of an "outdoor music festival" (RCW 70.108.150)

4. Restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (RCW 9.41.300)

5. Areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices, etc. (RCW 9.41.300)
    6. The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment (RCW 9.41.300)
    7. Any portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age (RCW 9.41.300)
    Please see RCW 9.41.300 for additional areas and more detailed descriptions of the restricted carry areas above.

Could you elaborate? I used to fly in/out of WA...I would like to better understand how the 'size' works.

Thanks,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We are allowed here in MN. Tell them to check the number of mass shootings in MN where firearms are prohibited, its kinda funny that those are the only places with mass shootings! Laws are written for law abiding citizens, the penal code is written for criminals. It is already illegal to shoot people, and normal law abiding citizens will not shoot someone, so why restrict their ability to defend themselves? It is a liberal myth that normal people snap and start shooting. People who are going to kill large amounts of people are unconcerned with a ticket and loss of their pistol permit because they are on their way to commit a crime that carries a penalty of death or life in prison. Many also commit suicide after the fact, and plan on doing it. Oh gosh, you think they care about a criminal code that has a penalty of a fine and loss of their permit when they plan to end their life? People do not get pistol permits to go commit crimes. Just the fact that someone takes the time to go get one proves that they are planning on following the law. I think there should be a cap and trade on stupid laws, if they want to make a new one they have to take one off the books first. Laws are written so we have ability to punish those who do bad things. Laws that are written to prevent crime are a waste of paper.

Sorry, this is pretty rantish
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    In Virginia....prohibited UNLESS you have a "good and sufficient reason"...
    I'm in VA too, so I voted other.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

In AZ they are like any other business, they can post signs and/or ask you to leave but the law does not flat out say no.

VIP Member
    Ohio generally banned UNLESS you get permission from the leaders of the church. Best to get it in writing.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

It's legal to carry concealed into churches in Texas with the permit, however the church (and any other enterprise, for that matter) can forbid it with a properly executed 30.06 sign.

Needless to say, my church chooses not to post the sign.

Cheers.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In view of the separation of church and state issues (no prayer in public schools, etc.) I find it odd that a state regulates individual activities by any means in a church. One of these days, someone with money to burn on legal causes will make a court case of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Montana has no laws prohibiting church CC...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links