carry in summer

This is a discussion on carry in summer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It came to my attention that I need to wipe down my carry more often in the summer. I went to do it the other ...

Thread: carry in summer

carry in summer

It came to my attention that I need to wipe down my carry more often in the summer. I went to do it the other day because I noticed some lint build up. I carry IBW and lint happens. This time I noticed some rust on the front sight. This is the only place that is just steel on the gun (LCR). The only thing I can figure is sweat, it was at the drip point. It has been hot for here and I have been doing alot of heavy yard work as well.

2. Remove Ads

Smile

Hi Ally,
    Is there a question or is this just a comment, I couldn't really tell. Anyway I inspect my Keltec every night and clean it as needed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lint in a CCW weapon is common year round, and sweat, well, it happens. For me it's always summer carry except for a few cold snaps each winter. A can of that compressed air keyboard cleaner works well for clearing out lint. I'm waiting to see how the long-term results of using Gunzilla in this S. FL heat and humidity woks out.

I lived in Spokane twice during my service years, and poeple are surprised when I tell them that it sometimes exceeded 100 degrees during the summers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Everytime I carry my pistol in a concealment rig that exposes the gun's metal exterior parts to sweat, I always wipe it afterwards with silicone coated cloth to preserve the finish. It is also used as the last step after a cleaning/oiling session.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Everytime I carry my pistol in a concealment rig that exposes the gun's metal exterior parts to sweat, I always wipe it afterwards with silicone coated cloth to preserve the finish. It is also used as the last step after a cleaning/oiling session.
    I too use a silicone cloth as needed helps keep my baby clean.
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

Ally, I've had the same problem in the past. I started to use Gunzilla and it is no longer an issue. It removed the surface rust on my firearm. Do a search for Gunzilla on this forum, there are lots of people who use this CLP on their firearms.

crazy4tat2s2, It was an observation and a way to start a discussion. There are a lot of new people that might not think of this (including me). I check for lint regularly but never though to check for rust. using a silicon cloth sounds like a good idea, also a can of air( I might just get the air hose from the compressor instead).

I use a Comptac Minatuar for my CW40 but since I work outside & its hotter n hell here I have to let the holster dry out when I get home every day. I have to wipe down the gun every day & make sure to wipe a little oil over it every few days. I'm kind of wishing I would have gotten the Crossbreed in horsehide instead. Its suppose to be more sweat resistant. I did just order the Comptac Infidel so we will see how that one works.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

It's been 121 deg. here the last few days, strange, but I never have an issue with lint or rust. I carry year round in a K.N.Null Vampire crossdraw holster. I use past wax on the exterior of most all my guns (and holsters), I've never had a hint of corrosion or rust, ever.

GM
    Although I always take care of my guns very well I had the same problem; perspiration and humidity are killers. I tried many different products, inclusive Gunzilla, but the rust always came back after one or two weeks; at the end it was pit rust on the frame. Now I use Eezox all over the guns and then Renaissance wax on the exterior; I do not have rust problems anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by radman View Post
    I use a Comptac Minatuar for my CW40 but since I work outside & its hotter n hell here I have to let the holster dry out when I get home every day. I have to wipe down the gun every day & make sure to wipe a little oil over it every few days. I'm kind of wishing I would have gotten the Crossbreed in horsehide instead. Its suppose to be more sweat resistant. I did just order the Comptac Infidel so we will see how that one works.
    Sure horsehide helps, but do not think that it is the final solution. The firearm that I was referring to was stainless steel and it was carried only in a horsehide holster. The holster that I use now is not horsehide, but the rust never came back.
    Last edited by GM; July 20th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

JT
    Living in Texas, I wipe a lot of sweat of my carry guns. But I've never found rust on any of them. Summer carry is G26 or S&W 642.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I carry a 3913 in stainless, no rust here.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Over the past 42 years of carrying a sidearm daily, and 38 years in the holster business, I have seen problems caused by moisture many times.

First, leather holsters should be made only of vegetable-tanned leather. Other tanning methods utilize chemical salts that can remain as a residue in the leather. Many of those salts can be highly corrosive; I have even seen stainless steel handguns with surface corrosion caused by long-term exposure.

Second, any leather article has a tendency to attract and retain moisture. Moisture may be introduced by precipitation, humidity in the air, or perspiration from the body. So, handguns should never be stored in a leather holster or case.

I recommend removing the weapon from the holster after each day's use and wiping it down with an oily rag. Holsters should be stored separately in an area having good air flow to permit residual moisture to evaporate away.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Although I always take care of my guns very well I had the same problem; perspiration and humidity are killers. I tried many different products, inclusive Gunzilla, but the rust always came back after one or two weeks; at the end it was pit rust on the frame. Now I use Eezox all over the guns and then Renaissance wax on the exterior; I do not have rust problems anymore.

Sure horsehide helps, but do not think that it is the final solution. The firearm that I was referring to was stainless steel and it was carried only in en horsehide holster. The holster that I use now is not horsehide, but the rust never came back.

Are these products available at the local gun shops or is that a hardware store type of thing? I will try them.
    Thanks.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by radman View Post
    Are these products available at the local gun shops or is that a hardware store type of thing? I will try them.
    Thanks.
    I have never seen them at the gun shops, and I do not know if you can find them at the hardware store. I ordered the Renaissance Wax from ebay - Art Acquisitions Unlimited, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320414945305 - and the Eezox from MidwayUSA, http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#eez..._1-2-4_8-16-32 . The guy from ebay was very nice, and he shipped the wax the same day.

You can read more about about the products here:
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...ssance_wax.pdf
    http://www.eezox.com/

EDIT: I forgot to mention that before I started to use those products the pistol was re-polished.
    Last edited by GM; July 20th, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links