Annoyance with the renewal process (KS)

This is a discussion on Annoyance with the renewal process (KS) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Little bit of a rant; I'm up for renewal of my KS carry license. Since I was issued it the very first day they were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyance with the renewal process (KS)

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Annoyance with the renewal process (KS)

Little bit of a rant; I'm up for renewal of my KS carry license. Since I was issued it the very first day they were available in the state, I'm going to be one of the first to renew.

The renewal process as they just released this month, is to send a form to my address on record, I fill it out, get it notarized, and send it certified mail to the AG.

Problem here: I'm in the Army assigned out of state, and the USPS doesn't deliver to my old address any more.

The address update form precludes listing any state other than KS.

Now I could get a license in MO, which would be valid in just about every state I find interesting except KS. See because I'm a Kansas resident, KS will only recognize a KS issued license.

So I call up to the AG's office and explain my situation. First they want me to surrender my license because I moved out of state (which would leave me no legal way to carry in KS until I renounced my citizenship, sold my properties, etc.). At the end of it, we came up with the solution of changing my mailing address using the same form (just sent it a couple minutes ago, so I'm not sure if it will work)

September they should mail out the renewal notices. I think I'll start looking into the MO license in the mean time (just in case).

I hate being the test case.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

2. Remove Ads

We appreciate you being the test case, I don't see that being an issue for most Kansans but maybe they'll do something to fix it. What I appreciate more is your service to this great country, Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sorry to hear about your problems and like Joker said, Thank you for your service.
    For what its worth, I was glad I left Ks when I was in the service, 10 years later, I realized its not too bad of a place and have come home to raise the family. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Little bit of a rant; I'm up for renewal of my KS carry license. Since I was issued it the very first day they were available in the state, I'm going to be one of the first to renew.

The renewal process as they just released this month, is to send a form to my address on record, I fill it out, get it notarized, and send it certified mail to the AG.

Problem here: I'm in the Army assigned out of state, and the USPS doesn't deliver to my old address any more.

Now I could get a license in MO, which would be valid in just about every state I find interesting except KS. See because I'm a Kansas resident, KS will only recognize a KS issued license.

So I call up to the AG's office and explain my situation. First they want me to surrender my license because I moved out of state (which would leave me no legal way to carry in KS until I renounced my citizenship, sold my properties, etc.). At the end of it, we came up with the solution of changing my mailing address using the same form (just sent it a couple minutes ago, so I'm not sure if it will work)

September they should mail out the renewal notices. I think I'll start looking into the MO license in the mean time (just in case).

With a lot of states, if you maintain your home of record in that state while in the military, you are still a resident of the state. I recently had to renew both my DL and CCW while home on leave, and even though I've been living all over the planet in the past 3 years, Ohio still considers me a resident of that state for all intents and purposes. So renewal on both was not an issue. Just something to consider if that is an option for you.

Best of luck with the process.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Let us know how it all works out.... so we can pass that info on to others in your situation.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

How come?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

If you wind up getting a different state's permit, consider FL; all you have to do is send in the app, pmt, and a copy of your military training.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    How come?
    Because I haven't opened the mail box in 2 years.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I believe Mo. is recognized by Ks. and vice versa

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BMOE View Post
    I believe Mo. is recognized by Ks. and vice versa
    Only if you are NOT a KS resident. DW is a resident of "record" of Kansas. The issue is the PO is not forwarding his mail any longer because it has been two years since he was posted by the US Mil out of state and his renew for his permit will be mailed next month to the old PO Box which is no longer valid.

By the way Daddy; I thought the state had covered you mil guys? Guess they did not think to fix this ONE ISSUE!!

@PM: I think the changes in the military policies were directed more toward troops newly assigned to Kansas (waived residency requirements). They don't really apply to this situation (which honestly is much less common, so not nearly as important)

Situation update:

I received mail from the AG's office yesterday. I was expecting either a notification of change of address or of revocation. What I received was approval for renewal. I'm a little confused by this since the AG's website says they wouldn't be sending applications for renewal until September. Perhaps I'm getting special treatment?

So it looks like I just need to make a day trip to Kansas City and find a DMV.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

So it looks like I just need to make a day trip to Kansas City and find a DMV.

Did you receive a

1) Renewal Notice or a

2) Notice of approval to Renew ?

The renewal process is outlined in this Kansas Attorney General PDF.

Concealed Carry License Renewal Information

Quote Originally Posted by Ksthumper View Post
    Did you receive a

1) Renewal Notice or a

2) Notice of approval to Renew ?
    It's a "Notice of License Reissue Approval"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Because I haven't opened the mail box in 2 years.
    If Uncle Sugar kept you away 2 years, you have my sympathy. If you are trying to beat the system, fo.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    If Uncle Sugar kept you away 2 years, you have my sympathy. If you are trying to beat the system, fo.
    Forge On

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links