Talking to the police

This is a discussion on Talking to the police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting videos Don't talk to cops - even if you are innocent - these are must see videos.. Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7N...eature=related Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQ...eature=related BUSTED: ...

Thread: Talking to the police

Talking to the police

Interesting videos

Don't talk to cops - even if you are innocent - these are must see videos..

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7N...eature=related

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQ...eature=related

BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

2. Remove Ads

Good advice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    These have been around a few times but still good advice and good to watch
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

After the incident, don't talk to ANYONE. Not even a "No comment" to the press. Simply SHUT UP. Give the police your ID and carry permit. Tell them simply, "I was afraid for, and defended, my life. I respectfully decline to make any further statements without a lawyer present and only after consulting with him." At this point, the police are NOT your friends, and ANYTHING you say can be admissible in court. Be SURE you are Mirandaized BEFORE you say ANYTHING.

I love watching those real life police shows like The First 48 where the cops grill suspects and you get to watch. I want to yell at the guy on the screen, "Just shut up, dude! Ask for a lawyer. Just stop talking!"

All the while the cops are wheedling and leaning on the suspect forcing him or her to get caught in lies and conflicting stories. The only words you need to say are, "I wish to speak with an attorney." The talking stops then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I love watching those real life police shows like The First 48 where the cops grill suspects and you get to watch. I want to yell at the guy on the screen, "Just shut up, dude! Ask for a lawyer. Just stop talking!"

All the while the cops are wheedling and leaning on the suspect forcing him or her to get caught in lies and conflicting stories. The only words you need to say are, "I wish to speak with an attorney." The talking stops then and there.
    OK, here is my question. I have heard it said that the cops are allowed to, and will sometimes lie to a person to get a confession. Suppose you ask for a lawyer. You have not been deligent enough to already have a lawyer on retainer so the police get you a lawyer, or at least someone they SAY is your lawyer. How do you know they are not lying to you at this point?

I'm not trying to run down law enforcement, but I believe it's even said in the referenced video's mentioned above. The cops can and may lie to you. So how do you know he's really a public defender and not a well dressed cop?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, here is my question.... Suppose you ask for a lawyer....so the police get you a lawyer, or at least someone they SAY is your lawyer. How do you know they are not lying to you at this point?
    IANAL [see signature] However, as I understand it:

Nothing you said would be admissible. You were questioned w/o legal representation -- after invoking your rights.

Nothing derived (say physical evidence) from what you said would be admissible. Fruit of the poisoned tree.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 20th, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

As DaveH states, it's not admissable. Cops need to get a conviction, and nothing you said to an impostor would be admissable in court. Nota Bene: IANAL

That being said, you don't have to have a big-time lawyer on retainer. Simply use your phone call to summon a spouse or relative, and have them contact the best defense lawyer they/you can afford. You may have to wait a day or two in jail (saying NOTHING to ANYONE), but that will be time well used to get effective representation.

Yes, cops can and will lie. Not hating on cops, just putting it out there....

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You may have to wait a day or two in jail (saying NOTHING to ANYONE), but that will be time well used to get effective representation.

Yes, cops can and will lie.
    There is a limited time they can hold you without charging you. You also have a right to a bond hearing. Yup, they'll lie, and also pressure you to make a statement. The advice to call a friend or family member is good. They have more freedom of movement/communication than you - let them find a lawyer. Most lawyers can be put on retainer for a few hundred dollars. They'll show up for your questioning and will get you bonded out, too.

I was reading Blue Blood by Edward Conlon, an NYPD officer, and throughout the book he kept saying how if the bad guy would've just shut up, he would have much less of a case. His favorite expression seemed to be:

How does a fish get caught? He opens his mouth.

This is great advice
    NRA Life member:
    Maine Non Resident Permit
    New Hampshire Resident Permit
    Connecticut Non Resident Permit
    Utah Non Resident Permit
    Mass Non Resident Permit

Before I started this thread I never even thought about how convictions could be pushed by a PA not including all of a statement and using only parts and not all. Thankfully the DNA science has proved the innocence of many incarcerated individuals. When they are locked up the judicial system will assume the criminal has been caught and will stop looking. So the BG stays free to do his thing again. A good interviewer (interrogator) can out talk you and get you so confused you will make a statement that will get you convicted. Do not think you can out talk them, they have done this thousands of time, experience is a good teacher and you are the rookie in this situation.
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, here is my question. I have heard it said that the cops are allowed to, and will sometimes lie to a person to get a confession. Suppose you ask for a lawyer. You have not been deligent enough to already have a lawyer on retainer so the police get you a lawyer, or at least someone they SAY is your lawyer. How do you know they are not lying to you at this point?

I'm not trying to run down law enforcement, but I believe it's even said in the referenced video's mentioned above. The cops can and may lie to you. So how do you know he's really a public defender and not a well dressed cop?
    You mean what if the police have the Captain pretend to be a lawyer, and you tell him incriminating statements?

Inadmissable.

Further, it wouldn't happen because the attorney client privilege is the property of the client, and extends to anyone the client belives in good faith to be an attorney.

If someone is in custody and they are presented with someone as "Your lawyer is here..." and they begin to talk to that person, even if they are a cop, the information is sacrosanct.

As is any info discovered as a result of the information you gave him.

Eventually a real lawyer would show up, and when the guy in custody says, "I already talked to the fat white lawyer guy with the green tie..." your real attorney will go balistic then say "Oh, snap. You are going to be free, and I'm rich!!"

The court would view pretending to be someone's attorney as if they illegally listened in on an attorney-client conversation. The court wouldn't have it, no matter what kind of information was obtained, and the resulting lawsuits and ethical issues would probably cost the cops their jobs.

Dam good advise..,.

Links