Sturgis?

Sturgis?

This is a discussion on Sturgis? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning a trip to sturgis for part of the rally. I am covered for all the states I will pass through but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sturgis?

Sturgis?

I am planning a trip to sturgis for part of the rally.
    I am covered for all the states I will pass through but I wonder if anyone has been there for the rally? is there a lot of off limit places? concerts?
    I dont plan on going to the more wild places but I have never been there before and dont know what to expect.
    any input would be great...

I've considered doing the same thing; I'll be watching this thread.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

I've been going to Sturgis for 10 years now and have never noticed any posted areas. One caveat: I'm not a concert goer, so I can't speak for any of those venues.

Al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

I went last year and CC'd everywhere with out problems. Stay out of the bars though and use good judgement. I was expecting a whole lot more raucus crowd with outlaws left and right, but once I got there I quickly realized attendees were made up of 95% weekend Harley biker pirate wannabes. Harmless.

I never noticed any signs barring CC'ing in any of the campgrounds we visited.

Once I got out of town a ways I OC'd, as I normally do, without a problem or second look from anyone.

Dirty

I have been going off and on since 1983. The crowd has changed and grown dramatically over the years. Some of the the wildest places in Sturgis are at some of the campgroups. I like the crowd at the End of the Trail. I set up across the road from the main campgroud. Watch out for all the crazies that trailer in and then drive their bike like idiots because they don't have to rely on their bike for the ride home.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by xoolo View Post
    I dont plan on going to the more wild places but I have never been there before and dont know what to expect.
    My last visit was in 2000 and I didn't look but I didn't see any unwild places except early in the mornings.

Broken Spoke had just started up. Buffalo campgounds was just a hill side covered in grass

The best breakfast and the cheapest was at the VA hospital, just walk in the Cafeteria and order.

Ice was also a problem. You had to be early to get what ice you needed or it was gone.

We stayed at CampCo camp grounds==== Wild and entertaining nightlife.

We rode our Harleys from Vegas to Denver Co in one trip and onto Sturgis the next day. When I pulled into the campground, looking and feeling road weary. a blond 8 or 9 wearing nothing but a thong bottom, (well sort of) and flip flops holding two cold beers stopped to let me go by and told me "Welcone to Sturgis".

FWIW I had a wonderful time. One of the guys in our club that went, stopped in a 7-11 store. The clerk behind the counter asked where we were all going and when she found out, she quit her job and hopped on the back of his scoot and went to Sturgis with us. He also had a very good time.

IIRC You cannot ride side by side in Wyoming. Part of our club followed us a couple of days latter and several of the riders were ticketed for riding side by side. Riding staggered in ok not side by side

Take chains to secure your wheels to your frame and you frame to something solid. Several bikes were stolen when they only had them secured by the front wheel. They found the front wheel chained to the tree but the rest of the bike was missing.

Good Luck, be safe on your trip and enjoy. Leave the Kids at home. If you want a family vacation with your kids go at a different time of the year.

You shouldn't have any trouble CC-ing here; in fact the laws should be very similar to those in Idaho: no bars, schools, government buildings, etc, though I'm not sure about private concert venues like the (in-)famous Buffalo Chip.
    Welcome and have a good time.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Be safe and have a good time!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

thanks!
    I was wondering about theft.... some of the camp grounds have a 3 day minimum, and it would be a PITA to take the tent down every morning before heading back then pitching it again for the night.... my bags and trunk are locking but I know I will have some stuff bungeed to the rails... I would hate to come out and find the front wheel.. even more if the pistol had to be left in a com safe in the trunk.. :-/
    I would guess there would be alot more $$$ bikes and more desirable then them though.... 99 honda Valk interstate... not to mention how heavy of a bike she is lol

anywho, thanks for all the good info.
    PS if any one know a hot blonde lady that wants to quit her job and head out with me let me know LOL

I just moved to south dakota a year ago and AFAIK signs don't mean a whole lot unless you are asked to leave. I have never seen anywhere posted, but I live in Rapid not in Sturgis. Other than that its the basics, no schools, federal buildings, courthouses, or anywhere that gets more than 50% of their income from alcohol.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Those of you going, have fun for me, long trips are over for this rider. Enjoy and ride safe brothers and sisters.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I've been going for 15 years...not consecutively. Never had any problems with theft and never heard of any.

On one of my first trips, some AH shot a (believed to be .357) 6 times on the other side of the campground in the wee hours of the morning. Next night the same thing. Third night after his 6 someone cut loose with a maching gun. Never heard the six shooter again.

GLENCOE camp has signs that prohibit weapons. Have not seen on at Buffalo Chip nor Days End.

Show others the respect you want to be shown and party hearty. It's a great time.
    I have a 77 year old guy riding beside me on this trip....he's never been.

If ya see me, say hello! I'll be wearing a Harley shirt and a black hat!

Been there done that and CC'd too. No problems at all except for the boot shine girl. I had the G27 in an ankle holster and told her not to raise my pant cuff. She said no problem and continued polishing!!! ............................ my boots that is lol
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

To Carry or in Sturgis

I'm comming in from VA (AROUND ILL) to Sturgis and wondering if I should carry or not is it ok to OC in bars? (over 50% bussiness in alcohol)

I will be there also, it sucks but I always disarm before going into any of the bars, (most of the events are in the bars) :( even thought I am not drinking.

I do not know the laws on OC in bars there, but I would advise against it if it was legal... some places have metal detectors prior to events (full throttle). also alot of the LOEs are from other places and just work there for the week.

just my opintion, I usually stay away from the bars, but it is hard when the events are held in one... :( I would be interested in others reply's on this

to add to it, I went last year and had no issues, great time... : ) I feel much better about the surroundings this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links