Bus Carry in MO

Bus Carry in MO

This is a discussion on Bus Carry in MO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be visiting St. Louis in September and am curious about this bus law you all have. Does this pertain to charter busses as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus Carry in MO

Bus Carry in MO

I will be visiting St. Louis in September and am curious about this bus law you all have. Does this pertain to charter busses as well as public transportation? Handgunlaws.us does not specify and I could not find clarification in the MRS.
    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Ruger SR9 - Crossbreed STD
    Savage 10FP

Quote Originally Posted by o2ryan View Post
    I will be visiting St. Louis in September and am curious about this bus law you all have. Does this pertain to charter busses as well as public transportation? Handgunlaws.us does not specify and I could not find clarification in the MRS.
    No offense to people on Forum meant: I don't have any idea but I suggest for any question dealing with legalities you ask authorities in that area - State Police could be one. If you get well-intentioned help here that is incorrect, or maybe correct information that you misinterpret, it will be YOUR behind that's burning at the stake. My feeling anyway.

From what I understand and was told in my CCW class, the only places we cannot carry in Missouri are: Buses, Public Schools, Trains, Planes, Federal Buildings, Jails, and Law Enforcement Centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harobi View Post
    From what I understand and was told in my CCW class, the only places we cannot carry in Missouri are: Buses, Public Schools, Trains, Planes, Federal Buildings, Jails, and Law Enforcement Centers.
    Yes, but what type of buses?

What's funny is I know this is illegal and have read it somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere in RSMo 571 (gun laws). The only thing I can find is school buses...

02ryan-The bus prohibition is contained in other statutes, not the CCW laws AND unlike the CCW prohibited places and posted places (violation of which is not an offense can only result in being asked to leave) carry on a bus or train (the METRO rail system) is a FELONY. Most the gang bangers riding METRO are probably carrying and never get checked but it is not worth the risk unless you REALLY HAVE TO!

I am in Iraq and do not have ready access to my reference material so I can not quote chapter and verse. If you go to missouricarry.com/forums you can probably find it there, plus get any additional info you might want' it is a real good bunch over there.

opalelement- There are 17 places listed in the CCW law where carry is prohibited including hospitals, churches and bars.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 22nd, 2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: removed ignorant comment with no basis in fact

VIP Member
    No carry, open or cc on Metro liknk system. That includes buses and light rail trains.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Buses are a No Go in Missouri, In fact it's a felony. Private charter buses you must have permission from the bus owner. Permission from the driver, or group director does not suffice. And I would get a written letter of permission from the owner if they approve, which I doubt. Trying to get the required permission is really such a hassle it's really not worth it.

I can't find my source at the moment, but trust me, it's not worth the hassle. Or go ahead and carry at your own risk, but do not say you weren't forewarned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Buses are a No Go in Missouri, In fact it's a felony. Private charter buses you must have permission from the bus owner. Permission from the driver, or group director does not suffice. And I would get a written letter of permission from the owner if they approve, which I doubt. Trying to get the required permission is really such a hassle it's really not worth it.

I can't find my source at the moment, but trust me, it's not worth the hassle. Or go ahead and carry at your own risk, but do not say you weren't forewarned.
    Not true.

Carry on public bus or train in Missouri is not a felony but is generally prohibited if it is part of the BI-State Development Agency. That includes St. Louis and St. Louis County for the most part. :

No person may carry a firearm in or on any property, equipment, or vehicle relating to any public mass transportation system of the Bi-state Development Agency created by compact between Missouri and Illinois, without authorization from the agency. Section 70.441.

(11) No weapon or other instrument intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance, except for law enforcement personnel. For the purposes hereof, a weapon shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, switchblade knife, sword, or any instrument of any kind known as blackjack, billy club, club, sandbag, metal knuckles, leather bands studded with metal, wood impregnated with metal filings or razor blades; except that this subdivision shall not apply to a rifle or shotgun which is unloaded and carried in any enclosed case, box or other container which completely conceals the item from view and identification as a weapon;

21.70 allows any city town or village to prohibit open carry of a firearm. RSMO 571.107 prohibits carry in specific buildings where properly posted.
    Missouri Revised Statue 21.70 Preempts firearms laws and regulations except for subsection 3 that allows cities towns or villages to regulate open carry. Revised statute 571.010-571.070.
    In the City of St. Louis, The Metro Link system, parth of Bi-State Development Agency including busses and trains prohibits firearms. Other cities that have a bus system would need to post proper signs. There is NO statewide prohibition of firearms carry on public transportation including buses.
    RSMO 571.030, Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties.
    (10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.
    4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.
    7. Unlawful use of weapons is a class D felony unless committed pursuant to subdivision (6), (7), or (8) of subsection 1 of this section, in which cases it is a class B misdemeanor, or subdivision (5) or (10) of subsection 1 of this section, in which case it is a class A misdemeanor if the firearm is unloaded and a class D felony if the firearm is loaded, or subdivision (9) of subsection 1 of this section, in which case it is a class B felony, except that if the violation of subdivision (9) of subsection 1 of this section results in injury or death to another person, it is a class A felony.
    RSMO 571.107, Endorsement does not authorize concealed firearms, where--penalty for violation
    (6) The general assembly, supreme court, county or municipality may by rule, administrative regulation, or ordinance prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed firearms by endorsement holders in that portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by that unit of government. Any portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute, rule or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of a firearm. The statute, rule or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute, rule or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building and if employees of the unit of government, be subjected to disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute, rule or ordinance. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any other unit of government;
    (9) Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law;
    (15) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch. The owner, business or commercial lessee, manager of a private business enterprise, or any other organization, entity, or person may prohibit persons holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer of the business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. An employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm in vehicles owned by the employer;
    2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years. Upon conviction of charges arising from a citation issued pursuant to this subsection, the court shall notify the sheriff of the county which issued the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue. The sheriff shall suspend or revoke the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue shall issue a notice of such suspension or revocation of the concealed carry endorsement and take action to remove the concealed carry endorsement from the individual's driving record. The director of revenue shall notify the licensee that he or she must apply for a new license pursuant to chapter 302, RSMo, which does not contain such endorsement. A concealed carry endorsement suspension pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall be reinstated at the time of the renewal of his or her driver's license. The notice issued by the department of revenue shall be mailed to the last known address shown on the individual's driving record. The notice is deemed received three days after mailing.
    Last edited by SIGP250; July 22nd, 2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Add BDA
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

wow, laws in other states are so confusing...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5780000305.htm

4. Any passenger who boards a bus with a dangerous or deadly weapon or other means capable of inflicting serious bodily injury concealed upon his person or effects is guilty of the felony of "possession and concealment of a dangerous or deadly weapon" upon a bus. Possession and concealment of a dangerous and deadly weapon by a passenger upon a bus shall be a class C felony. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to duly elected or appointed law enforcement officers or commercial security personnel who are in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the provisions of this subsection apply to persons who are in possession of weapons or other means of inflicting serious bodily injury with the consent of the owner of such bus, or his agent, or the lessee or bailee of such bus. (L. 1982 S.B. 519 § 2)

Deleted. Deadeye111 already posted the Bus Hijacking law. You beat me to the draw, Deadeye111.

so people using public transit can't carry defensive weapons? sounds like another case of discriminating against the poor (or frugal)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye111 View Post
    http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5780000305.htm

4. Any passenger who boards a bus with a dangerous or deadly weapon or other means capable of inflicting serious bodily injury concealed upon his person or effects is guilty of the felony of "possession and concealment of a dangerous or deadly weapon" upon a bus. Possession and concealment of a dangerous and deadly weapon by a passenger upon a bus shall be a class C felony. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to duly elected or appointed law enforcement officers or commercial security personnel who are in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the provisions of this subsection apply to persons who are in possession of weapons or other means of inflicting serious bodily injury with the consent of the owner of such bus, or his agent, or the lessee or bailee of such bus. (L. 1982 S.B. 519 § 2)
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

Bark'n, that's your answer. Under Miscellaneous. I failed to find that subsection.
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    opalelement- There are 17 places listed in the CCW law where carry is prohibited including hospitals, churches and bars.
    I know about that but I meant I couldn't find the part about buses. I had read it somewhere but thought it was listed there, I later remembered that it was listed in the MSHP Concealed Carry pamphlet and that is where I was remembering it from.

Deadeye111 posted the statute that the pamphlet would have referenced, but I didn't look up the pamphlet so I couldn't find it yesterday.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Harobi View Post
    Sounds like they mean "public transportation". Is a charter bus a public carrier? I think so.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links