Last minute trip, need some info.

This is a discussion on Last minute trip, need some info. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be heading out of michigan in less then an hour and the state ill be going to is kentucky and will be ...

Thread: Last minute trip, need some info.

Last minute trip, need some info.

I'm going to be heading out of michigan in less then an hour and the state ill be going to is kentucky and will be going though ohio too.. I know the mich CPL is good in both states but need to know what needs to be done if i get pulled over.I'm not to worried about where to carry cuz ill only be going to a hotel and maybe fast food so im sure i'm safe on that.. just have to drive down stay the night pick up a buddy then head back.
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

Handgunlaw.us Is the perfect place to find this information. Remember that you must follow the laws of the state your in even though your permit is from elsewhere. Specifically, Capacity requirements and duty to notify.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    You are good to go.

Ohio does have a duty to inform if pulled over, and no carry in any marked place or restaurant that serves alcohol. Kentucky is pretty lenient on most things, but check handgunlaw.us, as previously stated. Also depending on how deep into Kentucky you are going, enjoy the drive. Once you get away from Northern Kentucky, its one of my favorite places to drive though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's hard to remember which state is "must notify" and which isn't without mounting cue cards on the dash.

Go with this: "If in doubt, rat yourself out."
    Better to notify and not need to then to not when you do need to. Or you can just obey the traffic laws and not worry about it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's hard to remember which state is "must notify" and which isn't without mounting cue cards on the dash.

Go with this: "If in doubt, rat yourself out."
    Better to notify and not need to then to not when you do need to. Or you can just obey the traffic laws and not worry about it.
    This!

Too many times we hear "what do I do if 'm stopped by LEO while traveling through....." type questions. Easy answer, don't break the law while traveling and you're not going to have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    This!

Too many times we hear "what do I do if 'm stopped by LEO while traveling through....." type questions. Easy answer, don't break the law while traveling and you're not going to have to worry about it.
    I am not trying to turn the OP's thread into an argument, but its still a good thing to know. What if he stops to get gas, and gets rear-ended at a red light (to the OP, I'm not wishing any of this on you), so the accident isn't his fault. A LEO is driving by and sees it, even though the damage is minor, he stops. The OP now has a duty to inform the officer about being armed, even though he has done nothing illegal. Just throwing that out there, stranger things have happened.

For the OP, make sure you do obey the speed limits, there was just an article in today's newspaper for Cincinnati about how the staties are going to crack down because of an increase in traffic fatalities. Safe travels.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When I travel, I always check handgunlaw.us and print out the sheets for each state I will be travelling through. I have a 1/2 sheet binder and plastic page protectors (thus, print the 2 pages/side, landscape)

I also keep copies of the reciprocity agreements from the Atty General and/or state police websites....also, include the state code references in case the officer wants to look up the code himself (vs relying on your word).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links