Travelling by Plane....

This is a discussion on Travelling by Plane.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in PA and have my conceal and carry permit, and i will be flying down to GA for two days right after christmas, ...

Thread: Travelling by Plane....

Travelling by Plane....

I am in PA and have my conceal and carry permit, and i will be flying down to GA for two days right after christmas, and i have never flown before in my life, but to make this trip i want to have my gun on me.....

I already checked and GA and PA are in agreeance over the reciprocity act thing, now my question is, how to i go about getting the info to have the gun with me or transported properly. I don't want it to be confiscated.

2. Remove Ads

Check the regs of the airline you are flying and TSA, the info is there. Print out the regs so you have them with you traveling.

Just make sure your flight doesn't get detoured to NJ or NY. You could have issues with the Port Authority. No other airports I have heard of are causing issues with gun owners.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

No big deal to fly. Check the resources available just so you understand the rules. I do it fairly regularly and it goes very smoothly. Don't make a big deal. When you check in, casually and somewhat quietly state that you need to declare a firearm. Agent will now usually ask you if it is locked up and unloaded. Then they will fill out a declaration form and give it to you. Then they will direct you to a TSA station to check in your bag. The only variation I have experienced here lately is that in the past a TSA agent always wanted to open my lock box to check the gun. The last couple of times they just took the bag and said "thanks".

Make sure you follow the local rules. I was in Ohio, where you can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Not the case in my home state, so it would not have been obvious without advice from this site and some research on my destination.

Have a good trip.

Also, make sure the airline you will be flying on will allow you to declare a firearm. Go on their website too and search it. They're not all the same and who knows when they will change.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mommytanya3 View Post
    I am in PA and have my conceal and carry permit, and i will be flying down to GA for two days right after christmas, and i have never flown before in my life, but to make this trip i want to have my gun on me.....

I already checked and GA and PA are in agreeance over the reciprocity act thing, now my question is, how to i go about getting the info to have the gun with me or transported properly. I don't want it to be confiscated.
    Am I to understand that you want your gun ON your body while flying? Is that what you said?

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Am I to understand that you want your gun ON your body while flying? Is that what you said?
    That ain't gonna happen, but taking it in your checked luggage isn't that big a deal.
    Check this link, lotsa good info: http://www.8541tactical.com/flyingfirearms.php

You'll need to have a separate lock for bag that has the weapons, ammo must be in boxes, weapons and magazines unloaded. We do it routinely, but always check the airline first. Of course, it takes us a little longer than the average bear.

Show up a little earlier, have a good case. My experience with hunting rifles is it’s no big deal. My only bad experience was out of an airport in New Hampshire where they did not get locked back up properly. Nothing was missing and I still had the lock so not an issue. Just a through the hole over the bar, not and over the bar avoid the loop mistake. Probably opened the case and was like “ oww savage bolt action, boring, next”

Flying With Your Pistole

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm to understand TSA policies and procedures. *Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo*
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)*
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visible.*
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. *
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into. *
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name*
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not*
        • Your personal email address - if you have one*
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.*
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))*
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:*
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check www.handgunlaw.us and/or http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops*
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    sorry i just misworded it...

At Check-in, the airline agent will give you a tag which informs TSA that you have 'Declared' the firearm.

This tag goes inside the suitcase along with the locked case which contains the firearm.

Some ill-informed agents may still believe that this tag goes on the outside of the suitcase which contains the firearm. They are wrong.

Links