The best man!

This is a discussion on The best man! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ....in a wedding Just thought I would throw this out since I am going to have to figure it out in about six months. Does ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best man!

The best man!

....in a wedding
    Just thought I would throw this out since I am going to have to figure it out in about six months. Does anyone have any reccomendations on carrying in a tux. My brother is getting married and so as any "best man" would do I will be packing. I mean, can your really be called a best man and not carry...:) ? I am thinking its gonna be interesting with no belt. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

What are you thinking to carry?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

you can carry just about anything in a tux~! you can probably have a MP5K on you with out anyne noticing it. enjoy the wedding~!

G23

I will be carrying a G23. I was looking at shoulder rigs but $$$ and I have heard they are not that comfortable.

Whatever you normally wear.

Just have it on you when you get fitted for the tux.
    Make sure that you get measured while wearing it.
    Measuring is done over clothing, so you don't have to reveal it. When given samples to try on, you can change in a private dressing room. Just make sure your carry weapon and holster fit fine with the size that is decided on and listed on the order form.

Since my wife used to have a tux rental business, I just asked her about your question. Her suggestion is to wear a shoulder holster because tuxedo pants normally do not have a belt and some have elastic portions in the waistband so they will accomodate slight variations in size. She does not think any kind of a pant/waist holster would be practical as tuxedo pants would allow a bit of sag to any additional weight on the waist.
    Last edited by DaveT; June 21st, 2006 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepit
    I was looking at shoulder rigs but $$$ and I have heard they are not that comfortable.
    I have seen very inexpensive shoulder holsters.
    I have seen very comfortable shoulder holsters.
    I have not seen any that were both.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member
    This sounds to me like a good situation for the SmartCarry.
    Now before I get bashed by the people that say its slow to draw, etc
    I have one myself and use it on occasion when dress is deciding what I can carry. I don't use it all the time but IMO this tux situation is perfect for SmartCarry:
    -tux will cover it with NO chance of printing;
    -you'll have a G23 with a spare mag, can carry a spare mag in the jacket or pocket; when I use my smartcarry its with a full size HK USP .45 with no problem
    -it won't be on your shoulders the whole time, your neck/arms will get uncomfortable pretty quick during that time I would think, I know I was at my wedding and I wasn't packing;
    -you WILL be hugged numerous times by family/friends, a gun on the belt or in shoulder rig would be hard to keep from being discovered, etc, smartcarry eliminates this issue, I for one would not want to be worrying about this all day or having to explain to everyone I hugged what it is, etc, or have to keep remembering to hug a certain way to keep them from hugging the weapon

just my $.02
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Pocket holster. This is the same concern that businessmen who wear suits have. KT P11 in the side pocket.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluepit
    ...Does anyone have any reccomendations on carrying in a tux...
    Do tuxes still come with a sash? (maybe they're called cumberbunds?)

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Bug on ankle

I normally go 1911 iwb or 1911 in a shoulder holster if Im wearing a suit. However, I just went with a bug on my ankle this past weekend in my sister's wedding. My reasoning was due to necessity. They wanted some of the photos with the groomsmen with jackets off! Kinda defeats that whole concealed part if you're wearing a shoulder holster under a jacket and have to remove it.

I've got a little two shot 9mm derringer I carry in a pocket holster from time to time. Not meant for an all out gunfight but great for a situation like this to afford you at least some protection.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Just had this same situation this last weekend--long story short, I went with my P229/.40S&W in an ankle holster (not my ideal ankle weapon)

I was able to conceal easily in a black tux, especially at night...otherwise, my other option would be a shoulder holster (if I wasn't going to take off my tux jacket)

Mike in VA

Galco

Galco Executive Shoulder Holster. Spendy, but pretty comfy with a collared shirt. I have one that matches perfectly with my stainless PPK.

Bond....James Bond.....

Otherwise, I would do an ankle holster for concealability in your particular situation.
    I believe the right to bear arms is not only a 2nd Amendment right. I believe it is a basic human right. All people should be able to protect themselves and property.

Note that if you are the best man... and you pack... you will likely have to miss out on all the drinking after the wedding.

Do you really feel the need to pack throughout the wedding? If your brother is tied to the mafia, then everyone should strap, but I'd leave the pistola in the car for a few hours, loosen up and hoist a few pints and have some cake. Enjoy the fun... you wouldnt want to hear the clang of metal hitting and sliding across the floor while you and all the old people are out doing the chicken dance. You would likely attend a wedding a funeral all in the same week after some old foggie has a coronary.

I'm sure someone can find an article where some BG's held up folks at a wedding, but I bet its safe to assume that the odds of your personal safety are in your favor for a few hours.

In Texas, you cannot carry with ANY consumption of booze... I'd rather drink and have fun at a wedding, than go out of my way with custom fitting a Tux etc... and miss out on some fun just because I wanted to pack. Thats me obviously, but seriously consider your need to carry during your brothers wedding, vs. your want. I'd be willing to bet that even Wayatt Earp took off his irons every once in a while in order to do some serious boot scootin.
    Last edited by 97Octane; June 21st, 2006 at 04:33 PM.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    just use a clip on IWB....
    They work fine for a tux...
    or an ankle holster if you'll be removing the jacket....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links