The State of Texas doesn’t know how to answer a simple question for me

This is a discussion on The State of Texas doesn’t know how to answer a simple question for me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the 2 threads going on about the Texas CHL holders going into the state capitol with their own designated “CHL Line”, I posted to ...

With the 2 threads going on about the Texas CHL holders going into the state capitol with their own designated “CHL Line”, I posted to one of the threads asking if I would have any issues using my Non Resident Washington or Florida CHLs to get in. All the responses had should in the answer. I’m visiting in Texas now, and wanted a full proof 100% answer before I drive 4 hours as I haven’t been to the capital in ages.

So I sent the State Capital an email last week stating:
    “I read that the state capitol now allows individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns into the building, and skip the line for non licensed individuals.

I am an Oregon resident, with a current, valid Florida and Washigton Non Resident Concealed handgun license. Texas has signed reciprocity agreements with both of these states.

Will the security at the state capitol allow me to carry into the capitol with my valid out of state permits even though I am not a Texas resident?”

I received no answer to my email.

So I emailed the TX DPS CHL Division, and they told me to contact the State Capital Visitation Center. I call them and ask the same above question to the lady that answered. She states “ you want to bring a gun into the capital?” I tell her I do. She puts me on hold, comes back 60 seconds later and says “I don’t know, you should just leave your gun at home to be safe”. I reply with “I don’t know if that’s safe, but thanks for your time” as my question was obviously not going to be answered by her.

So I email the CHL division back and tell them that I had no luck with the visitation center.

They replied with (I won’t quote it, just summarize it as the email has a confidentiality posting on it) Texas does honor your nonresident permits, but we can’t tell you if you will be able to carry at our state capital.

Don’t know what to do from here. Im not comfortable going up to the security, getting denied and then walking all the way back to my car and putting it in the glove box in downtown Austin (The car im borrowing has no lockable glove box and of course no gun safe).

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know TX laws, but your permits would be no good in FL, which only accepts permits of "residents" of the states it has recipricy with. Since you're a resident of OR and have no OR permit, you are not authorized to CC in FL.

Now the question are, does OR not issues CC permits, and if so, why do you not have one, having 2 (?) non-resident permits instead?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I think one would have to look to the statute to find an answer. If the statute says you can go in with a Texas concealed carry permit you might be prevented from entering. If it says entry is permitted to chl holders, you might or might not be, depending on the exact nature of the permit, reciprocity, and unfortunately, whim of officials at the door. My guess is that security will err on the side of caution and admit only those with Texas permits, but this is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    your permits would be no good in FL, which only accepts permits of "residents" of the states it has recipricy with. you are not authorized to CC in FL.
    Are you saying my Florida Non resident concealed weapons license is not honored by the state of Florida?

Since you're a resident of OR and have no OR permit
    I do have an Oregon resident permit, just didn't post that information since it wasn't relevant to Texas which doesn't accept Oregon's permit.

Ok, lets think about this for a second.

In Texas there are a few places that you can't carry a concealed handgun. Most state owned or municiple owned buildings are forbidden from posting 30.06 signs keeping CHL holders out. That is unless there is a court or court office in the building.

The capital doesn't fall into this catagory. So carrying a concealed weapon is legal in the state capital. Last May after a shooting incident where no one was hurt outside the state capital, they installed metal detectors at the capital entrances. Carrying a concealed handgun is still perfectly legal at the state capital, but with the metal detectors, every CHL holder who enters with a gun would have to pull their gun out and place it with their keys etc, on the belt and then go through the metal detector. Not the best scenario to have lots of folks pulling out guns.

So, what was the solution. To make another access point for CHL holders to enter the capital where you can show your CHL permit and not have to go through the metal detector. You simply show your CHL they say great, your a good guy since you have passed background checks ect, so go about your merry way, enter the building and have a good time.

Now your question. Do your other state permits permit you to do what a person with a Texas CHL is allowed to do. The answer is really pretty simple. If Texas has reciprocity with whatever state you have a permit from, then you are able to do what a person with a Texas CHL is allowed to do.

The one thing that I would suggest you do, is the print out a copy of the reciprocity agreement for whatever state's permit you plan on showing when you enter the capital. That way if the security personell, aren't familar with all the reciprocal states you can simply show the letter and go about your way just like the rest of us CHL holders.

Enjoy your stay and visit in our great state.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ive always been proud of my state. It would not be too far fetched to say I may even be a little arrogant about it. But the fact that our state capital has a "CHL Express Lane" is just one more of those great things that cause me to breath a hefty sigh of relief when I cross back into my state while traveling.

The stars at night, at big and bright....

I am sorry to hear about the OP not getting a straightforward answer from anyone, I wish I knew for sure what the answer was.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Since you're a resident of OR and have no OR permit, you are not authorized to CC in FL.
    Well, I think that's why he got a non-resident license from FL. With a non-resident Florida license, he can certainly CC in FL. The larger issue is how Florida non-resident permit reciprocity works in Texas, which can be found here. According to the Florida reciprocity page, certain states will only accept a Florida license if the licensee is a resident of the state of Florida (on my quick run-through, these are Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, and South Carolina). Texas isn't listed, so presumably, a non-resident Florida license is honored in Texas (but IANAL). Oddly enough, it appears that Florida will NOT honor a Texas non-resident license.

Texas does list the following caveats to its reciprocity agreement with Florida:
    (1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.
    (3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.
    (6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

My thinking is, if you're not a resident of Texas and you are not there often, why even bother carrying for a short business venture in the State Capitol? I would just leave the gun in my car, go inside capitol and do my business and leave quickly. Avoid confrontation that way. That's just me, though. Others may disagree.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I think Farron got it right, but I'd not necessarily count on the security staff at the Capitol knowing it is legal for you to carry with your out of state permits. They should know, but that's no guarantee that they will. And don't count on their being able, or willing, to read and understand reciprocity agreements.

This is why we need a Federal Concealed Weapon Carry Permit! Aren't we the 'United' States of America?

Second thought on the subject, is there some way we can stop lawyers from making laws? They are self serving and incomprehensible to the rest of us.

Smile kj4ntED

Florida issues out of state permits so people from states w/o cc permits or non reciprocal states can carry in Florida while on vacation. If you try to use a Florida permit in another state and don't have a Florida drivers lisense you probably will be in trouble unless the local LEO is very generous. Thats the reason Florida issues out of state permits, the tourists dollar is king here. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by kj4ntED View Post
    Florida issues out of state permits so people from states w/o cc permits or non reciprocal states can carry in Florida while on vacation. If you try to use a Florida permit in another state and don't have a Florida drivers lisense you probably will be in trouble unless the local LEO is very generous. Thats the reason Florida issues out of state permits, the tourists dollar is king here. Ed
    I have to disagree with you

Then whats the purpose of Non Resident Permit?

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    I have to disagree with you

Then whats the purpose of Non Resident Permit?
    I used to live in Maryland. I had a Florida non resident permit so I could carry when I traveled to Florida. Some states don't accept any non resident permits except their own. So if I was a Florida resident traveling in such a state my Florida permit would be honored. As a Maryland resident, my Florida permit would not be honored. I would have to get a non resident permit from that particular state if I wished to carry there.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Missouri makes it simple... If you have a ccw from any state, we recognize it. No need to get a non-resident permit from anywhere to get into Missouri.

However, since the minimum age for a Missouri resident to get ccw permit is 23, some Missouri residents who are only 21 will get a non-resident permit from another state which does allow them to ccw in Missouri at age 21 instead of 23.

No state has a permit which is recognized in more states than Missouri. One or two states have reciprocity with the same number of states as Missouri, but no one has more.

At this time, Missouri does not issue a non-resident permit. Hopefully that will change one day and we will, but for now, Missouri only issues ccw to residents.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links