I'm starting to see why.

This is a discussion on I'm starting to see why. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently went looking for a small "snub-nose revolver". I didn't want to spend a lot of money for a gun I probably wouldn't use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to see why.

I'm starting to see why.

I recently went looking for a small "snub-nose revolver". I didn't want to spend a lot of money for a gun I probably wouldn't use much so I was thinking Taurus or Charter Arms. I found a really nice, early 70's CA Undercover 38. Got it home off layaway Friday, and took it down the hill behind the house and fired a few rounds through it. Man it was LOUD. Especially with some warmish (but not hot) reloads I had. I managed to hit the stump I was shooting at, although I can tell this ain't no target gun. It's an "up close and personal" gun.

Anyway, I'm starting to see why this type gun is so popular. I had an inexpensive Bianchi IWB holster that the gun fit, so I stuck it inside my jeans for a quick trip to the grocery store, and slipped a couple of speed strips into my other pocket. It was about like not carrying a gun at all. I don't know if it will become an EDC or not, but I sure do see the appeal.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

2. Remove Ads

Snubbies are addictive. Now all you need is a proper pocket holster such as a Mika or Nemesis (or any others that the fellow forum members recommend) so you can just drop your new friend in your pocket for EDC or just the quick runs to the store. It also makes it much easier to be armed while mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage, and other things on very hot days.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

They do have thier place.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Although I carry a semi, I have a fondness for snubbies. I grew up on Mannix, Dragnet, Hawaii 5-0, Ironside, The Untouchables, and other cop shows where the "gun du jour" was always a .38 spcl. snubbie, usually worn on the belt crossdraw or in a shoulder holster. Snubbies ARE loud. That's what you get with a barrel less than 2" long. I don't know any of them that would be termed "target" guns. They are "up close and personal", "belly to belly", "SURPRISE" guns, and fill a much-needed niche on the CW world. My only current snubbie is a 2" Taurus 617 - a fine SD revolver.

I own a bunch of little snubbies and I keep em' loaded with +P+ loads. They don't have much velocity but they sure are handy and their cheap, simple and they always go bang. Since most gunfights happen within feet and the average # of shots fired is 3, they are very practical and dependable. Everyone in the country should be issued a little snubbie at birth.

GM
    Nice snubbie; congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm beginning to see the light on snubbies, I have been an auto (Mostly 1911s and some Glocks) man for years, but I need something to stick in my pocket. My glock 33 is a little too heavy for dress slacks and a pocket holster with a snubbie like a Chief's Special or an Airweight would work just great!

Just an aside, a friend had a custom snubbie a while back that I shot. It was a S&W model 29 in .44 mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. Talk about LOUD! Put some Talons in that baby! Not exactly drop in the pocket but he had the grips modified like a Chief's Special, rounded nice and reduced in size. It was all I could do to hang onto that little puppy when popping them off! Yea BABY! I wanted that puppy, but not for $1500!

I love large caliber firearms! KA BOOM! If you don't hit them the muzzle blast will knock 'em down and the 3ft flames from the end of the barrel will set them on FIRE!

Just a little something from your 'Ole Uncle Duke.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    Man it was LOUD. Especially with some warmish (but not hot) reloads I had.
    Snubs are brutally loud. They have that sharp pitch bark that is painful. Please wear hearing protection when shooting, especially the short barreled guns. I've shot my M36 a few times without, and I'm sure I did some damage to my ears.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Snubs are brutally loud. They have that sharp pitch bark that is painful. Please wear hearing protection when shooting, especially the short barreled guns. I've shot my M36 a few times without, and I'm sure I did some damage to my ears.
    Amen to that, I love little concealable pistols, but boy can they damage the hearing! My ears are still ringing (I have tinitus) from shooting a 22mag ruger 35+ years ago! I also am almost near the point at 57 where I need a hearing aid from all the years of hunting! I did plenty of damage! As my friend in the Artillery said, "Grunts go OOOHHA, Cannon Cockers go HUH!". Hearing protection, don't bust those caps without it!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

The loudness, makes everyone run the other way if you are in a shooting situation and disorients the BG for a minute, plus he can't hear anything either. LOL.

I have one 7- shot .357 that for some reason is much louder than the 5-shot. Don't know why.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Snubbies are addictive.
    Extremely so. Be careful or you end up owning several quiet quickly.

As for hearing protection - wear It Even the little ear plugs, often called spark plugs, can save your hearing and they only cost pennys when bought in boxes of 200. Full ear coverage is better but in the summer during long practice sessions, muffs wear me out.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Nice little gun, you won't regret owning it.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Congrats on the snubbie, they ARE addictive, and as goldshellback stated, "They do have their place."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Please wear hearing protection when shooting,
    Who said I don't? I can tell a gun is loud even with plugs. This ain't my first rodeo.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    ...It was a S&W model 29 in .44 mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. Talk about LOUD! Put some Talons in that baby!...I love large caliber firearms! KA BOOM!...
    I have a Ruger Alaskan for home defense. I figure even if I miss, I can tell the cops to look for a couple of blind, deaf guys without eyebrows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links