What exactly is a backup gun?

This is a discussion on What exactly is a backup gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Roman Some advice: Have your BUG keep the same battery of arms as your primary ccw. For example my main ccw is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is a backup gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Some advice:

Have your BUG keep the same battery of arms as your primary ccw. For example my main ccw is a 1911. My BUG is a Sig 238 because it has the same battery as a full size 1911. When **** hits the fan you don't want to take the split second to change mindsets between weapons.
    Well if your Primary is a 1911 and your backup is a striker fired, no safety firearm like a PM9, it doesn't matter, just point and fire anyways.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    If my Glock would jam just one time, I would concider a bug. That thing has not even had a hiccup yet.

I have a friend who is a LEO, and he carries an LCP on his ankle. He is concerned that his main piece may be struck by a BG's bullet if he was firing from behind cover. He said it is a real possibility to get your gun shot. It is one of the only things a BG could shoot at if you were covered.
    I'm right there with you....my Glock has never once failed to function in any way and it has many thousands of rounds through it. Bottom-line...I carry my gun as an insurance policy against a VERY unlikely need (statistically speaking), which means the statistical need to actually "require" a BUG is even FAR less than needing the primary in the first place. I know that others feel more strongly about needing a BUG than I do and that's ok. To each their own.
    Last edited by ZRow1; July 26th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    If my Glock would jam just one time, I would concider a bug. That thing has not even had a hiccup yet.

I have a friend who is a LEO, and he carries an LCP on his ankle. He is concerned that his main piece may be struck by a BG's bullet if he was firing from behind cover. He said it is a real possibility to get your gun shot. It is one of the only things a BG could shoot at if you were covered.
    Yep. this has actually happened if you read the story of the FBI Miami gunfight one of the agents had his gun disabled by gun fire.

http://www.thegunzone.com/11april86.html

I daily carry a 40 caliber Smith and Wesson on the hip and my BUG is a Ruger SP101 strapped to the ankle.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Is it an alternate to carry if you need to send your main squeeze to the gunsmith for awhile? Or is it a second gun on your person (pocket/ankle) in case your main gun malfunctions in a crisis? Do many here actually carry two guns all the time? I pocket carry a .380 always, but I'd like to carry a 9mm, prolly IWB. Not sure if I could deal with concealing two guns all the time. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Maybe you're familar with the term "New York reload"--i.e. going to a second gun before reloading your primary...way-back-when NYPD only had revolvers and no moon clips (but had to load one round at a time into the cylinder)

I do not carry a BUG regularly, but when I do, it's on the ankle (Kahr MK9)...usually reserved for long drives...in addition to a primary carry gun.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

cmb
    I do indeed carry a BUG and I will add a new comment to this thread but in no way new to the BUG scenarios... what if it is not conducive to reach your EDC, many times mine is tucked behind my shirt, I am standing in a line at a store and a person acting in way which could indicate some bad is going to occur I can slip my hand casually into my pocket and be holding on to my pocket pistol with no one knowing. More often in my line of work I am talking with someone who has a crime history and is seeking assistance and they can get aggitated sometimes, I usually keep something in between us like a car but I can have my hand in a non-threatening posture on my gun in my pocket...

There may be the time when you need it and it is just not easy to get to... this would be my reason... pocket carry is great standing but not sitting, ankle carry is good sitting/driving but not as much standing, I'd IWB is the best overall but can be limited in accesibility also...

The pocket 380's /32's are so thin they are made for the pocket, I have a j-frame for the ankle (j-frame design seems to favor the ankle and gives a good grip, those small 380's just don't provide enough grip for me out of the ankle position) but also for the pocket & IWB occasionally and my EDC of choice IWB is 1911... I usually have 2 of the 3 on me...

If I was a professional in law enforcement I would carry BUG which complemented my Main sidearm... Glock 19/26... even as a rural officer or small town policeman... a shooting in Okaloosa county in the panhandle of Florida a year or two ago is why, I lived near there, safe area, rural for the most part... two deputies were wounded and died possibly because they didn't have a BUG... I'd rather carry the weight and go home to my wife and kids then say it was too much to carry a 16 ounce BUG &/or extra ammo...

Side note: I carry at least one reload for the largest caliber on my person and most of the time a reload for both...

Well, I think it's been answered sufficiently enough.

The bottom line is, lots of things can happen to your primary gun. I mean a lot of things! If you don't have a second gun to go to, then you're going to be in a bad situation that could have been easily avoided by having a 2nd gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well, I think it's been answered sufficiently enough.

The bottom line is, lots of things can happen to your primary gun. I mean a lot of things! If you don't have a second gun to go to, then you're going to be in a bad situation that could have been easily avoided by having a 2nd gun.
    and if you BUG fails..you're having a REALLY bad day
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry a BUG when I go into bad areas or if i'm working which is normally when I go into bad areas lol
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

What exactly is a backup gun?
    well, as you see, i'm originally from NY. YES! i truly believe in the "new york reload!"
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Well if your Primary is a 1911 and your backup is a striker fired, no safety firearm like a PM9, it doesn't matter, just point and fire anyways.
    Pm9's in MA have an external safety My Fiancee carries one.

My brain just always has my thumb reach for the safety. I used to carry and M+P40c and still I would go for the safety flick if shooting under some stress. It's just what I found works for me

Quote Originally Posted by ZRow1 View Post
    I'm right there with you....my Glock has never once failed to function in any way and it has many thousands of rounds through it. Bottom-line...I carry my gun as an insurance policy against a VERY unlikely need (statistically speaking), which means the statistical need to actually "require" a BUG is even FAR less than needing the primary in the first place. I know that others feel more strongly about needing a BUG than I do and that's ok. To each their own.
    +1

I don't want the hassle of another gun to shoot, clean, lube, check, handle, &c. for an itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie, microscopic, Lilliputian probability.

/but that's just me.

For most people, their backup gun is smaller in size and caliber than their main carry piece. To me, this is the wrong way to think about it. If you DO have to go to your BUG, it means the s**t has REALLY hit the fan, and you're empty or jammed and still in mortal danger. To me, this is the time to pull out something "bigger and better" than you started with.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    To me, this is the time to pull out something "bigger and better" than you started with.
    In that case:

Works for me,MadMac, but you only got three shots before the reload, which might be a little slow. How about this, instead?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links