What exactly is a backup gun? - Page 4

What exactly is a backup gun?

This is a discussion on What exactly is a backup gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac You forgot a couple scenarios to bolster your point: 1) Just as the BG s approach, you walk under one of ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57

Thread: What exactly is a backup gun?

  1. #46
    Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You forgot a couple scenarios to bolster your point:

    1) Just as the BG s approach, you walk under one of those giant magnets that pick up crushed cars, and your primary and BUG get sucked out of their holsters. Thankfully, your second bug is a Glock, so you can blast 'em with that one.

    2) Two BGs are firing at you in Dallas: one from the School Book Depository, and one from a grassy knoll nearby. The rifle bullet from the guy in the building ricochets off your primary, disabling it, and striking the governor of Texas. You try to give your wife your BUG, but she is jumping out of the convertible you're riding in. You fire back with your BUG wheel gun while the suspect is being escorted by police. The police mistake you for Jack Ruby.

    Hey, it COULD happen......

    I'm taking this pic lol
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm


  2. #47
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Here's an interesting take on BUGs:

    The would-be assassin of President Andrew Jackson had both his primary and his BUG fail when he went to kill Jackson at point blank range. Jackson beat the man with his cane.

    You guys better be carrying at least three pistolas on you, if you want be sure....
    Flintlocks were a tad unreliable compared to today's modern pistols using center fire ammunition with smokeless powder. With my Ruger LCP, I'm often carrying three! (G-23, XD9sc, LCP) or (XD9sc, SP-101, LCP)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  3. #48
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Is it an alternate to carry if you need to send your main squeeze to the gunsmith for awhile? Or is it a second gun on your person (pocket/ankle) in case your main gun malfunctions in a crisis? Do many here actually carry two guns all the time? I pocket carry a .380 always, but I'd like to carry a 9mm, prolly IWB. Not sure if I could deal with concealing two guns all the time. Thanks for your thoughts.
    As many have stated, a back-up gun or BUG requires the carry of two firearms at one time. You do bring up a good question. What is the common term for your 2nd choice EDC that you have on hand, but don't always carry? Is it alternate carry?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  4. #49
    VIP Member Array ctsketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    As many have stated, a back-up gun or BUG requires the carry of two firearms at one time. You do bring up a good question. What is the common term for your 2nd choice EDC that you have on hand, but don't always carry? Is it alternate carry?
    Primary
    Secondary
    Summer Carry
    Winter Carry
    Bug
    House Gun
    Safe Queen
    Truck Gun
    I'm not carrying a gun, gun...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

  5. #50
    Member Array 007BondJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Walled Lake, Michigan
    Posts
    142
    Mine main gun is a Beretta 92FS my BUG is a Walther PPK/S.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

  6. #51
    Member Array 007BondJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Walled Lake, Michigan
    Posts
    142
    Originally Posted by DIABLO9489
    Incorrect. I'm saying that your argument against having TWO guns because they both can fail is flawed, because it is being based on a failed assassination from almost 200 years ago with obsolete technology. And if anything it would give somebody more reasons to carry two or three guns. Like you mentioned in your previous posts.

    I personally don't carry a BUG only because I think my primary will fail. In fact I don't ever think my primary will fail since I carry a Glock.



    I am sorry but Glocks do fail. Google Glock failures and how may hits you get.



    Last edited by 007BondJames; July 30th, 2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added Video
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

  7. #52
    VIP Member Array TWO GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    2,683
    There are just so many reasons to carry a BUG.But one very big reason is to arm some one you are with if need be.Thats why my BUG never has any kind of safety or controls.You just never know.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

  8. #53
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    There are just so many reasons to carry a BUG.But one very big reason is to arm some one you are with if need be.Thats why my BUG never has any kind of safety or controls.You just never know.
    Do you guys spend the same amount of time analyzing your 410(k) or your kid's homework as you do cc scenarios?

    I don't get it. I'm not a cop, I have a "safe" office/consulting gig, don't buy or deal drugs, not in a gang, and live in a "safe" area. I carry most of the time in my area because it's simple to strap on my SuperTuck and Glock to do my errands and live my active lifestyle without much intereference. It's like carrying a walllet. No biggie.

    If I felt I needed to worry about arming someone I'm with, a bullet striking my primary in a gunfight, having my Glock explode, or any other microscopic eventuality, I'd just use the gun to end my own pathetic, paranoid life. It's a small enough probabliity I'll ever need to clear leather to scare off some dirtbag. I'm not going down the road to nutty obsession.

    Yeah, you just never know....anything could happen; even in "safe" neighborhoods, blah, blah, blah... yeah, I get it. I would still rather use that effort to manage my finances or go place tennis with my wife.
    Last edited by MadMac; July 31st, 2010 at 06:50 AM.

  9. #54
    Member Array Spirit of 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Parallel Universe
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Two BGs are firing at you in Dallas: one from the School Book Depository, and one from a grassy knoll nearby. The rifle bullet from the guy in the building ricochets off your primary, disabling it, and striking the governor of Texas.
    Unlikely scenario, as the governor of Texas, Rick "One Shot" Perry carries a concealed Ruger LCP w/CT laser and would have taken out the sniper in the Depository building as the car rounded the corner.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_554397.html

  10. #55
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Primary
    Secondary
    Summer Carry
    Winter Carry
    Bug
    House Gun
    Safe Queen
    Truck Gun
    I'm not carrying a gun, gun...
    Thanks
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  11. #56
    Member Array patrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    409
    The term "back up gun" comes from those of us who carry a firearm for a living mostly Police Officers specifically "Patrol Officers". It's a secondary gun we carry and it's main purpose is to save our lives when we are losing a ground or other type struggle in retaining our duty side arms or have already had our weapons taken from us. Anything from a little flip-top Beretta 21A loaded with CCI Stingers to a 380acp. My preference is a lightweight Jframe type revolver carried on the ankle or just within my shirt on my vest using the available velcro of my vest and natural folds of my body. We also tend to like neck knives or folding knives that can be opened with one hand especially the opposite hand of our gun side. When I was in the Marine Corps my back up weapon was my sidearm and my main weapon was either my M60 or the M2 50 caliber.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

  12. #57
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    1,618
    I always thought of a back-up as one that would go bang just like my primary.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. AMT Backup 380
    By jkspider in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
  2. AMT Backup
    By incakola in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: October 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
  3. AMT Backup .380
    By jetmak2002 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 29th, 2008, 09:57 AM
  4. Backup
    By Smooth23 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM
  5. LE Backup
    By P95Carry in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Search tags for this page

any law enforcement carry ruger p345

,
approved police backup guns by state
,
back up guns for police officers
,

backup gun saved life

,
conceal pps backup
,
concealing a backup gun on an external vest
,

glock fail

,
is the jframe dead in law enforcement for back up weapon
,
my ruger p345 and my backup gun
,
police back up gun external vest
,
police backup and j frame
,

smith & wesson sd9 exploded diagram

Click on a term to search for related topics.