What exactly is a backup gun?

This is a discussion on What exactly is a backup gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it an alternate to carry if you need to send your main squeeze to the gunsmith for awhile? Or is it a second gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is a backup gun?

Is it an alternate to carry if you need to send your main squeeze to the gunsmith for awhile? Or is it a second gun on your person (pocket/ankle) in case your main gun malfunctions in a crisis? Do many here actually carry two guns all the time? I pocket carry a .380 always, but I'd like to carry a 9mm, prolly IWB. Not sure if I could deal with concealing two guns all the time. Thanks for your thoughts.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    The Back Up Gun (bug hence forth) is generally a second weapon on, or about your person for use when your primary fails, or is empty. Alot of posters state that they carry one, some carry 2. I do not presently carry a BUG, but when I can afford it, I am in the market for a PPS (or 2) for just such a purpose.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Well Spirit of 76, if you do get a larger caliber gun, then you already have a handy "bug" with your 380. Since you're already used to carrying that in your pocket, the only thing you'd have to 'adjust' to is wearing your IWB weapon. One gun is better than none. But I like the idea of a bug, in case your 'main' weapon fails, is lost, is empt--whatever. Additionally, a bug can be handed off to a partner if necessary. Just some more random thoughts to add to the mix. What make is your .380?
    In youth we learn; in age we understand. ~ Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Weapon failure and handing off are a couple uses of a BUG.
    Another is for use during an attempted or actual acquisition of your primary weapon by a BG. The BUG is used to eliminate the threat of the BG acquiring and using your primary. Most often this is used by LE.

I carry a Glock 30 IWB and a .357 mag revolver on my ankle everyday. The best way to carry more ammo is in another gun
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I carry a Glock 30 IWB and a .357 mag revolver on my ankle everyday. The best way to carry more ammo is in another gun
    The term for this is 'a New York reload'.

I sometimes carry a second gun in the car with me, but normally I don't have a BUG.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If my Glock would jam just one time, I would concider a bug. That thing has not even had a hiccup yet.

I have a friend who is a LEO, and he carries an LCP on his ankle. He is concerned that his main piece may be struck by a BG's bullet if he was firing from behind cover. He said it is a real possibility to get your gun shot. It is one of the only things a BG could shoot at if you were covered.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489:

"The best way to carry more ammo is in another gun."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ha...for those special times when a 10 round mag just isn't enough!

Diablo, I've got a Taurus .357 revolver that's as big around as my ankle! Guess you must have kept all your old bell bottoms from the 70s to conceal that thing.

Some good reasons given above, thanks everyone. As always, lots to think about...

freestate, I've carried a .38 Special and the Ruger LCP for awhile, but have now settled on the Taurus 738, which works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I sometimes carry a second gun in the car with me, but normally I don't have a BUG.
    I was under the belief that NY Reload was used more towards carrying 2 wheel guns and/or two guns of a similar make or caliber. Kind of like this "Texas" reload....
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=W4S9fGq8-K8

Reminds me of when I used to carry my Glock 23 + 27
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489:

"The best way to carry more ammo is in another gun."

Ha...for those special times when a 10 round mag just isn't enough!

Diablo, I've got a Taurus .357 revolver that's as big around as my ankle! Guess you must have kept all your old bell bottoms from the 70s to conceal that thing.

Some good reasons given above, thanks everyone. As always, lots to think about...

freestate, I've carried a .38 Special and the Ruger LCP for awhile, but have now settled on the Taurus 738, which works great for me.
    Quite the opposite actually....I was born in the '80s and closer to the '90s.....and I wear True Religion jeans which definitely wouldn't qualify as "bell bottoms"

EDIT: My .357 revolver is the J-Frame S&W M&P 340 so it's not to hard to conceal

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    If my Glock would jam just one time, I would concider a bug. That thing has not even had a hiccup yet.

I have a friend who is a LEO, and he carries an LCP on his ankle. He is concerned that his main piece may be struck by a BG's bullet if he was firing from behind cover. He said it is a real possibility to get your gun shot. It is one of the only things a BG could shoot at if you were covered.
    Yeah, a new Glock 19 is what I've got the hots for. And that scenario you present is yet another good reason that never occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    True Religion jeans
    Ok, I had to google this one...very nice.

And that 340 is a sweet gun, not much bigger than my .38 special!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Ok, I had to google this one...very nice.

And that 340 is a sweet gun, not much bigger than my .38 special!
    That's exactly why I got it. Fits in all of the holsters that I already had for my 638 and I wanted to have the option of shooting .357's or .38's. The full power magnum loads are a hand full though. I can only take about 50 of them before my hand goes numb. But I bought this gun for the sole purpose of being my BUG and not a range gun.
    I figured if my Glock AND a revolver BOTH failed or I couldn't end the threat with 11 rounds of .45 and 5 rounds of .357 well then it's just not my day

Some advice:

Have your BUG keep the same battery of arms as your primary ccw. For example my main ccw is a 1911. My BUG is a Sig 238 because it has the same battery as a full size 1911. When **** hits the fan you don't want to take the split second to change mindsets between weapons.

i have one on me when i am on duty. back in the day, many mango season a go, when we carried wheel guns on the job as primary, the "bug" was a must. it had many functions, but the main one was a second gun that you could get into the fight fast when needed, i.e.. out of ammo, problems with main gun, etc.... now with hi-cap autos you don't see many "bugs" on the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links