New Kel-Tec P-3AT - Page 2

New Kel-Tec P-3AT

This is a discussion on New Kel-Tec P-3AT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had similar issues. See my saga here: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...num=1148757224 I'm happy now - and just got my magazine extender, belt clip, trigger shoe and kydex ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kel-Tec P-3AT

I had similar issues. See my saga here:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...num=1148757224

I'm happy now - and just got my magazine extender, belt clip, trigger shoe and kydex holster in!!

I would run at least 200 rounds thru without a failure of any kind.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I bought my P3AT about a month ago and I've run about 50 rounds through it with probably about 5 failures to feed. I've heard these things need to be "broken in". A local gun smith told me it takes about 500 rounds before they feed perfectly. I sure like the little thing. It's easy to conceal and I find it easy to aim and hit what I aim at.
    Last edited by hlh1; June 23rd, 2006 at 10:29 PM.

i got a 2nd gen with about 600 rounds down range. i have had several (25 to 30) fte's. kel-tec has sent me two new extractors set. the tip broke off both extractors. when the gun gets dirty it starts to give me some fte. i can get about three mags down range before i get the first fte. also make sure you are not "limping" the gun, this will also give you fte's. all in all it is a good "bug" and i would get as many rounds down range to break it in. yes at first i was mad about my p3at, but i did the f&b, change out the extractor, the gun came around (96%). what do you want for a $225.00 dollar gun. this is not a glock, but a small/well priced "bug".

blueyedevil, I did send the P-3AT back to Kel-Tec. They insisted they repaired it with the new extractor. I had a local gunsmith I trust look at it and it still constantly failed. Kel-Tec thought I was handling it wrong. A friend who shoots pistol matches tried it and it failed on him. Decided it was not worth losing my life over and got rid of it. I'm glad others have success with theirs. But I will never recomend a Kel-Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh1
    I bought my P3AT about a month ago and I've run about 50 rounds through it with probably about 5 failures to feed. I've heard these things need to be "broken in". A local gun smith told me it takes about 500 rounds before they feed perfectly. I sure like the little thing. It's easy to conceal and I find it easy to aim and hit what I aim at.
    Went back to the range and put another 50 rounds through it with no problems. This was after it's first cleaning and lube. Seems to be "cured".

I don't know what you do to fix it, dehalter, but I do know that I would never stake my life on a Kel-Tec based on all the horror stories that I've read, and then learn about all the hoops folks have to jump through to make it "reliable" regardless of the generation of the piece. If it doesn't function well out of the box, use it for range play and nothing more serious.

I took my P3AT (2nd Gen) home, lubed it, and started shooting it. If I intentionally limp-wristed it at first, it would fail to feed. After several hundred rounds, it stopped doing that. I can't make it fail at all now. I've probably run 1200 rounds through it at this point, mostly WWB cheap stuff. I carry gold dot's in it, and have put 100+ of my carry ammo through it trouble free.

As a lightweight, highly compact 'always on me' gun, they're hard to beat. At the price KT charges for them... nothing comes close.

I have a P11 also, with several thousand problem free rounds through it. I'd rather have a Kahr... better trigger and thinner profile, even with the lower capacity. Haven't tried the new single stack 9mm from KT, but I can't imagine that it's trigger is as slick as the Kahr's I've shot.

I know some have had problems with KT... that's unfortunate, but true with all gun manufacturers. Personally, I wouldn't own a Glock, while others swear by them.

It'd be an awfully boring world if we all liked the same things, woudn't it?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Seems like with the Kel-Tecs you either love 'em or hate 'em. I have been very happy with the ones I have. I can do head shots easily with my 2nd gen p3at from 10 yards and it has been completely reliable. I couldn't believe how accurate it was for such a small pistol with such a short sight radius.

Administrator
    Kel Tec states 100 to 150 rounds for a normal break in.
    Also make sure your wrist is locked any you have a near death grip on the pistol.
    You will lose your maximum slide energy without an iron grip since the little slide does no have very much mass.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for all of the input. I gave the gun a fluff and buff. My feed ramp is so smooth that it looks like a concave mirror. All friction points are smooth as glass. Since my first 150 rounds, I have now had zero failures. That is, I have put 550 rounds of cheap Winchester white box and 100 rounds of Winchester Silver tip (my carry ammo). I could not be happier!!!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Good to hear that youre happy with it, hope you dont have any more problems.
    Fear No Evil.

Take a look here http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1523

The regular cor-bon doesnt seem to expand with the short barrel, on the second pic if you scroll down they do the same loads from the bersa that has a longer barrel and the cor-bon expands. This is shooting through paper, a body may yield different results. I do not know if the DPX works better from the shorter barrel, I think the same people may have tested it but I can't remember.

Thanks myusername, that is a cool site. Looks like I will stick with silvertips and hydroshocks!!!

Let's look at this from a different point of view...

I'm always looking for good expansion, but only after the round can penetrate about 10"-11". So, e.g., my 9mm choice is Ranger 147.

A .380 from a very short barrel may be hindering its own capability if it expands very much. A great little mushroom slowed by a two sides of a leather sleeve, an arm, another layer or two of leather, (a lapel maybe), and a large adversary, maybe that winclean starts to look good.

They don't call them "vitals" for nothin'.

I wish somebody would make a collapsable bullet nose for autoloaders that left us with a concave or blunt, barely expanded, (just enough to get jagged), projectile for the penetration work.

Sort of like the blunt .38spl. from the now-retired, ex-NYC cop, ammo designer Jim Cirrillo. Note** Effectiveness trumps expansion. Good angling performance on glass too! Hope I got that right.

Hydrostatic shock and killer "knock down power" is not something to assign to pocket rockets! Expansion is not a goal in itself.

For my P3AT, which BTW is extremely reliable - lucky me, I am still undecided. Anyone know of a good Truncated SWC FMJ loaded up to full pressure? Of course not.

Something to think about, what do you think?
    B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links