New Kel-Tec P-3AT

New Kel-Tec P-3AT

This is a discussion on New Kel-Tec P-3AT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Jut got a new Kel-Tec P-3AT (BUG for my XD-40 SC). I have fed it ~200 rounds. I had a few FTE on the last ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kel-Tec P-3AT

New Kel-Tec P-3AT

Jut got a new Kel-Tec P-3AT (BUG for my XD-40 SC). I have fed it ~200 rounds. I had a few FTE on the last round in the magazine. I think the magazine spring is a little weak at the top of the magazine. I also had a few FTE on the first 50 rounds.

Does anyone know the number of rounds I should put through this pistol for break in? In addition, since I like to practice frequently with my CCW, how many rounds will this pistol take before it is worn out?

One other question, I am using Winchester Silver Tips. I have heard that the Core-Bon is a good load. Any comments on .380 ammo?

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    First, congratulations on your new mouse-gun. Second, if you had failures-to-extract on the last round I doubt it's due to a weak magazine spring. Not to mention the chances of a magazine spring being too weak straight out the box are pretty slim. I would take a look at the top of each magazine and see if there are any signs of wear/galling to the lips or magazine follower. You can get alot of good advice on KTOG.org if you see some abnormal wear. If there is a problem Kel-Tec is well known for great customer service, give em' a call and they'll make it right.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Please describe (in datail)what you did to the weapon before you fired the first round. This will help us give you feedback on your questions. -------

The first thing I did before I shot it was to take it apart and lube it. That is, I put “Shooters Choice” grease on all of the friction points. A VERY THIN coat of grease. I like to put it on the slide contact points, the top of the hammer, the barrel and slide contact points. In addition, I run a dry swab through the barrel to remove crud and oil.

I typically do this for all of my guns when I shoot (new and old guns). When I am shooting, I will do this every ~100-150 rounds.

I have noticed that when I am removing the ammo from the magazine, the restoring force on the spring for the last round seems much weaker than the first. This is normal for any spring, it just does not seem to have much “umph”. I have ordered some more magazines from Kel-Tec. I will compare and see if there is a difference.

FTE's

check the little screw that holds the extractor. Mine worked loose and I started to have FTEs. A little lock tight solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dehalter
    The first thing I did before I shot it was to take it apart and lube it. That is, I put “Shooters Choice” grease on all of the friction points. A VERY THIN coat of grease. I like to put it on the slide contact points, the top of the hammer, the barrel and slide contact points. In addition, I run a dry swab through the barrel to remove crud and oil.

I typically do this for all of my guns when I shoot (new and old guns). When I am shooting, I will do this every ~100-150 rounds.

I have noticed that when I am removing the ammo from the magazine, the restoring force on the spring for the last round seems much weaker than the first. This is normal for any spring, it just does not seem to have much “umph”. I have ordered some more magazines from Kel-Tec. I will compare and see if there is a difference.
    I would agree that this was a possible problem if you were having failures-to-feed instead of failures-to-extract. Magazine springs have no bearing on extraction, except if they're causing the follower to make contact with something.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will chime in with the mag cannot affect ejection , Kel-tech has done several upgrades over the life of the p3at model , the first thing we need to know is if its a 1st gen or second lol , the easy way to tell this is the second gen has a square 1 piece slide with a " frankenbolt " to hold a large flat spring extractor in place . oh a frankenbolt is a round hex type screw. the first generation had an almost diamond shaped slide that had a seperate piece to retain the recoil spring . The handy way to solve the issues tho is to sign up for another forum ( http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/ ) that is a specialty kel tech forum where members have more experiance than most of us .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2 1/2 years my wife bought me a P-3AT for XMAS. It was the worst piece of junk I ever had in my life. No matter what brand of ammo I put through it in FMJ or JHP, I had constant failures. I sent it back to KEL-TEC for repair and bought 2 new magazines. It came back from KEL-TEC failing worse than before I sent it. I finally gave up and sold it for next to nothing to a part time gunsmith who wanted the challenge of fixing it. My wife was heartbroken. That gun would have gotten us killed if I ever needed it to protect us. She took me out and bought me an H&K USP Compact 40 to make up for it and I bought her a North American Arms .32. I would never own another KEL-TEC even if I won one in a raffle. I would suggest you get rid of it and look at another .380.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey
    2 1/2 years my wife bought me a P-3AT for XMAS. It was the worst piece of junk I ever had in my life. No matter what brand of ammo I put through it in FMJ or JHP, I had constant failures. I sent it back to KEL-TEC for repair and bought 2 new magazines. It came back from KEL-TEC failing worse than before I sent it. I finally gave up and sold it for next to nothing to a part time gunsmith who wanted the challenge of fixing it. My wife was heartbroken. That gun would have gotten us killed if I ever needed it to protect us. She took me out and bought me an H&K USP Compact 40 to make up for it and I bought her a North American Arms .32. I would never own another KEL-TEC even if I won one in a raffle. I would suggest you get rid of it and look at another .380.
    There were some problems with the first generation P-3AT, those have been resolved. I'm sorry you got a bad taste in your mouth, but you should have sent it back to them. Kel-Tec would have fixed it, or sent you a brand new pistol that works. I personally have a lot of faith in my P-32, it's never had any failures. I know alot of people that have them, and with a little love and attention they make outstanding pocket-rockets, especially for the money you pay.

dehalter, I was told to run 200 rounds through mine for break in. I had a few FTE's. Smooth as butter now. KTOG can take care of your problems for sure. Lot's of good guys that are specifically knowledgeable on the P3AT.

I too would not trade my P3AT blueyedevil.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I was having FTE problem in my first generation Keltec .380. I called Keltec and they advised that they had redesigned the extractor and ejector. They said I could send the gun back in to have the new parts installed. I explained that I could probably replace them my self as I was a circumcised gunsmith. They sent me the parts, I replaced them and the gun now runs like a singer sewing machine.

Jungle Work

Great BUG.

I first learned about the P3AT from the LEO who taught our CHL class, and picked one up the first chance I got. Mine is first generation, but has been abolutely reliable, and within it's limitations, pretty accurate. COM within 10 yards is what I want and get from it. Haven't had any problems w/ FMJ round nose or JHP. I'm currently loaded with Speer Gold Dots.

I make a point to practice with it each trip to the range, no matter what else I'm working with. It's good to know it's ready, and I know what to expect from it. I got one for my young bride when she got her CHL, too. Same consistent results.

I haven't found another small pistol that's as easlily concealable, comfortable to carry, and as reliable this one.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

To answer the ammo question...

I currently use Speer GD's. Two hollow point loads in particular to look at (info from StoppingPower.net):

10% Ballistic Gelatin tests for:
    Corbon .380 80 gr DPX

testing Platform:
    Keltec 3AT

Barrier:
    Bare Gelatin

test RESULTS:

Round # 1:
    Penetration: 8.375”
    Recovered Weight: 80.2 gr.
    Expansion*: .714 cal.
    Velocity: 914.7 fps

10% Ballistic Gelatin tests for:
    Corbon .380 80 gr DPX

testing Platform:
    Keltec 3AT

Barrier:
    Four Layers of Denim

test RESULTS:

Round # 1:
    Penetration: 6.75”
    Recovered Weight: 80.8 gr.
    Expansion*: .732 cal.
    Velocity: 958.6 fps

* Expansion measured at widest point.

Keltec P-3AT (Clothing Barrier)

Speer .380 90 gr. Gold Dot
    Pen 10.50” Exp .476

Quote Originally Posted by dehalter
    Jut got a new Kel-Tec P-3AT (BUG for my XD-40 SC). I have fed it ~200 rounds. I had a few FTE on the last round in the magazine. I think the magazine spring is a little weak at the top of the magazine. I also had a few FTE on the first 50 rounds.

Does anyone know the number of rounds I should put through this pistol for break in? In addition, since I like to practice frequently with my CCW, how many rounds will this pistol take before it is worn out?

One other question, I am using Winchester Silver Tips. I have heard that the Core-Bon is a good load. Any comments on .380 ammo?
    Brings up another point, I would try different ammo and see if you still have the same problem?

Very true. Many on KTOG have said that the P3AT HATES WWB and a few others. I've never tried WWB in the .380 but every other gun of mine gobbles it up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links