Pocket carry help please

This is a discussion on Pocket carry help please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up my own personal Ruger LCP as I wanted a pocket carry / quick carry option. I owned one before however the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket carry help please

Pocket carry help please

I recently picked up my own personal Ruger LCP as I wanted a pocket carry / quick carry option. I owned one before however the ex got it in the divorce. I shot it quite a bit but never really carried it. I forgot how much I love the size of it. I am planning on picking up a pocket holster fairly soon. Probably going to order a nemesis. However I have ran into a small issue... My knife :(

I carry my spyderco endura in my front right pocket. It's a good size knife. I can't see how it wouldn't get in the way of the pistol as it get's in the way when I'm just fishing for my keys. What do you folks that pocket carry and carry a folder do?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    I always carried my knife clipped into my right pocket until I started pocket carrying. I just switched the knife the the left side. After a few days I got used to it. Besides, when I use my knife it's never a life or death situation. I don't carry it for defense. I carry a knife so I can cut things, and I'm usually not in a hurry. If I reach to the wrong pocket, then I'll try the other one :)

I carry a Benchmade Mini AFCK so I'm sort of in the same boat. My daily wear usually consists of carpenter shorts or cargo shorts and I just usually carry in a side pocket. If I do have to dress a little nicer I carry a smaller Kershaw folder in my left pocket.

This works for me and my Keltec.

Yeah, I had the same problem... My solution was to move the knife to my weak side pocket. I can't really operate the knife as well with my left hand, but my left hand is quite capable of handing the knife to my right hand. I can't think of a situation that I'd be reaching for the knife in self defense unless my firearm is already inoperable or not in my possession.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

When I used to pocket carry on occasion (I never really did like it with my 638), the pistol was the only thing in the pocket. The knife would get used to the left front pocket (where it actually resides during deployments too, because I have a fixed blade for my right hand). But honestly, it seemed like with jeans, my EDC gear of wallet, keys, Spyderco Delica/Endura, cell phone, 638 in a Nemesis, and 2 speed strips was just a bit too much stuff. I find belt carry much more comfortable.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

i carry a j frame or a kel tec p 32 in a desantis nemesis or a wild bills pocket packer both great holsters for the money. if my pockets have large openings i carry my folder clipped to my strong side pocket , if its a smaller opening i carry it weakside.

Switch knife to back pocket strong side. If you have to move your wallet to the weak side, then that's better than moving something you depend on to the weak side. Just my 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Switch knife to back pocket strong side. If you have to move your wallet to the weak side, then that's better than moving something you depend on to the weak side. Just my 2
    Actually I can get my wallet and my blade in my left rear pocket on the strong side. I'll try it for a few days and see how it works out. What ever change I make it will be permanent IE I'll carry the knife there even when I'm not pocket carrying as I like all my gear to always be in the same spot.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I pocket carry Kel Tec P3AT right front pocket in a Uncle Mikes #1 pocket holster which I have modified to also hold extra mag.

This gives me 13 rounds of EDC 380 with little or no hassle at all.

The extra mag squires off the outline of the gun and makes it look more like a wallet or something in my front pocket.

My lock blade folder i carry clipped in right rear pocket which works well for me as it was a unused pocket otherwise.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I always carried my knife clipped into my right pocket until I started pocket carrying. I just switched the knife the the left side. After a few days I got used to it. Besides, when I use my knife it's never a life or death situation. I don't carry it for defense. I carry a knife so I can cut things, and I'm usually not in a hurry. If I reach to the wrong pocket, then I'll try the other one :)
    Ditto Exactly.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I carry the knife in my weak side pocket when pocket carrying.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

When I pocket carry an LCP; it's usually playing the BUG role in my weak side pocket. Thus leaving my knife strong side, along with my primary.

Another option; have you considered a wallet type holster, and carrying the LCP in your strong side back pocket?

Like one of these:

Last edited by zacii; July 26th, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling, fixed link
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Try this Rollo they have vids showing it in usehttp://unclegeorgeswalletholster.com...TLHolster.aspx

What do you folks that pocket carry and carry a folder do?
    Move it to the other pocket

But seriously.....I just moved it to the other pocket
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    When I pocket carry an LCP; it's usually playing the BUG role in my weak side pocket. Thus leaving my knife strong side, along with my primary.

Another option; have you considered a wallet type holster, and carrying the LCP in your strong side back pocket?

Like one of these:

I had considered that. The main reason I am on the fence about it is that is where I normally carry my wallet. I've tried carrying my wallet in my weak side pocket but it feels INCREDIBLY strange. In reality however it's probably better as i don't have to worry about getting my wallet out and flashing my gun...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links