CCW in gun store, shooting range

This is a discussion on CCW in gun store, shooting range within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few gun stores that I've visited have signs posted: "All weapons must be unloaded". Does this prohibit CCW, or do they mean any weapons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW in gun store, shooting range

CCW in gun store, shooting range

A few gun stores that I've visited have signs posted: "All weapons must be unloaded". Does this prohibit CCW, or do they mean any weapons brought in for repair, holster fitting, etc.?

Same with the range... I'd like to CCW there as well but don't want to fool with fumbling around unloading before and reloading my weapon after leaving range while sitting in the parking lot.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Call them and ask them, if for no other reason I personally would never patronize a gun store that prohibited concealed carry. I seriously doubt that is the case, and if it is I'd tell everybody I could about it and watch them go out of business with a big smile on my face.

No loaded guns at a range?!? How are you supposed to shoot? Point and go bang bang?

As for the gunstore it could be state law.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

Assistant Administrator
    I can see folks in a gunstore feeling a bit leary of customers coming in ''tooled up''but OTOH any BG wanting to do so - will - regardless.

On balance IMO it is way better to have legit' CCW's being able to carry inside - they will not be the threat.

One caveat tho - if it should happen that a customer wants something for his CCW piece and that is ''hot'' then there must be a safe area available for unloading that prior to fitting holster, magazines etc. Only good safety practice IMO.

I always carry in local gun shop and they know I carry but - on any given occasion - concealed is concealed too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCCW
    As for the gunstore it could be state law.
    Let's hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    A few gun stores that I've visited have signs posted: "All weapons must be unloaded". Does this prohibit CCW, or do they mean any weapons brought in for repair, holster fitting, etc.?

Same with the range... I'd like to CCW there as well but don't want to fool with fumbling around unloading before and reloading my weapon after leaving range while sitting in the parking lot.
    Are the stores you visited "national chain" stores or..... are they individually owned stores? I've seen similar signs on "national chain" store" in Colorado. I called the management and found that they do not apply to gunnies having concealed carry permits.

Please let us know.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

The gun store/range I frequent has the same signage.

If I am going to shoot/shop, I ignore it. The staff is aware of the fact that I am always armed and has never said anything about it. Could be that I am friends with the owner, though he is the kind of guy who would say something if he had a problem.

If I need something that requires my weapon to be out, I ensure it is cleared and cased prior to entering out of respect. I imagine if I worked behind the counter in a gun store, the sight of someone coming through the door, gun in hand, would tend to excite me a bit.

The 2 ranges gunstore i go to have a simple saying if its concealed keep it that way till your shooting it on the Range just don't whip it out ...

Now i have showed them mine when asked but unless you are very well know there as i am they want the guns cased unless you selling or going for repair or concealed ..

The bullet hole in the ceiling at one of the stores hat burnt down few years ago showed why he had a no loaded guns sign too.. owner managed to smack it out of his face and up when the idiot was pulling the trigger to show him it had a problem and would go boom

The shop/range where I work is posted no loaded guns in store. Most ccw folks ignore it and so do we. I had one nit wit come in carrying a cocked 1911 and I very quickly told him to take it outside and come in properly. He gave me a bit of lip and said the owner knows him and knows how safe he is. I spoke with the owner later about him and he said he probably would have smacked him for coming in with a cocked 1911 in his hand.

No wonder why I often carry three revolvers when I work. It's all about quick access to a loaded gun. You never know who or how many will come through the door!!!!!!

The big issue may be one of insurance coverage. The biggest range and store around is very strict about entering and leaving both range and store empty. After a conversation with one of the managers it's all from the insurance company and if they have even one incident the already heavy premiums will go astronomical.

Another range and store that is much smaller and more "personable" is a little flexible if they get to know you. The owner finally told me that I was welcome to carry as long as it never came out of concealment. Well, unless some idiot tried a robbery in which case he figures it's time for everyone to get in on the action! He also faces the same insurance rules but has decided to trust those of us he knows to carry concealed.

Eric
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

At the gun store I frequent, there is no policy against, but it does bring in a little bit of safety risk if people are fumbling around with loaded weapons.
    I was there a few weeks ago to ask about an IWB holster for my Kimber. At one point I needed to bring it out to size something and I told them it was loaded and in my pants. We just waited a few moments while some customers were leaving and I carefully stepped aside and secured my gun. No problems. But then we all know eachother too.

Now at the range is another story. I think it might be a safety issue, and could be dictated by the insurance policy that all weapons be cased until at the firing line and always pointed down range. Then unloaded and cased before stepping back from the firing line.
    It can be a pain, but then I am comfortable knowing that other patrons, who may not be as skilled in gun safety, also are required to conform to those rules.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

VIP Member
    None of the gunstores around me have such a sign.

The range does, but I asked years ago and it does not apply to CCW. Just to other weapons.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

The range I frequent up in Seattle allows a CCP, and has a few rules about it. They request if you need something for the weapon, that you unload your handgun under supervision. You should also pocket the magazine if they ask. Also, some of them have asked that I not load up in the store, but I go into the range to do so.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy5
    The range I frequent up in Seattle allows a CCP, and has a few rules about it. They request if you need something for the weapon, that you unload your handgun under supervision. You should also pocket the magazine if they ask. Also, some of them have asked that I not load up in the store, but I go into the range to do so.
    That's a good point I didn't mention. CCW is OK, but any loading/clearing/handling must be done inside the range.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Not CCW

The gun stores I have seen here have signage prohibiting loaded weapons too, but they also specifically state that it doesn't apply to concealed carry permit holders. As long as you keep it concealed, they are happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links