My idea for an invention and change in the law

This is a discussion on My idea for an invention and change in the law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my CHL, but to be honest I don’t carry very often because the laws in Ohio are so restrictive. If I had my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My idea for an invention and change in the law

My idea for an invention and change in the law

I have my CHL, but to be honest I don’t carry very often because the laws in Ohio are so restrictive. If I had my druthers, I would keep my firearm in the glove compartment of my car at all times. However, it is too complicated to remember that I have to go to a soccer game at the high school on a particular day, or a buddy may call and ask if I want to get dinner and a drink, etc, etc. In summary there are just too many situations where I’m not allowed to carry, so instead I only carry when I know that I won’t be in one of those situations, which is the minority of the time.

My idea is for a lock box with an electronic lock. The electronic lock would have a countdown timer that would not allow the box to be opened for say, 8 hours. With this nifty lock box and a change in the law I could carry in my glove compartment and if it was a day I had to stop by the school for some reason, no problem, I would just set the electronic lock and go ahead. If the law were changed and I was somehow “made” by LEO I could just show that the firearm was locked away in a manner that I could not access it and that would be legal.

I know that none of this will ever happen, but it never hurts to dream

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Wow. So you can't even have a gun in your car on school property? Tennessee allows this as long as you don't have it on your person while on school grounds. Otherwise, a parent would have to:

1. Take the kid to school
    2. Go back home and get the gun

That evening, reverse the procedure.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Wow. So you can't even have a gun in your car on school property? Tennessee allows this as long as you don't have it on your person while on school grounds. Otherwise, a parent would have to:

1. Take the kid to school
    2. Go back home and get the gun

That evening, reverse the procedure.
    You can. It has to be secured in the car though. This changed a year or two ago.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You can. It has to be secured in the car though. This changed a year or two ago.
    My understanding is that you can have it secured in your car if you are picking up or dropping off your child. You cannot have it in your car if you are on school property for a soccer game, PTA meeting, or any other extended event. Drop off and pick up only.

I'm very sure of this, unless you can direct me to official documentation to the contrary (I hope you can :) :))

I'm not so sure about that device.... What if I decide I *really* need it? What if an active shooter scenario happens and I'm the closest one who can respond? What if I'm accosted on my way back to my vehicle after an appointment or event which didn't last as long as I'd thought? I'd prefer a law that allows me to carry.

In Oklahoma we can have the gun on school property so long as we are picking up/dropping off a student and we stay in the vehicle with the firearm. Can't walk around, even outside the school with it on and can't leave it locked in the vehicle. This is of particular annoyance to me as I am a high school soccer referee. I usually resort to parking off school property.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Administrator
    Here is what the law says. Take from it what you will;

2923.122 Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.

(A) No person shall knowingly convey, or attempt to convey, a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone.

(B) No person shall knowingly possess a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone.

(C) No person shall knowingly possess an object in a school safety zone if both of the following apply:

(1) The object is indistinguishable from a firearm, whether or not the object is capable of being fired.

(2) The person indicates that the person possesses the object and that it is a firearm, or the person knowingly displays or brandishes the object and indicates that it is a firearm.

(D)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance and is acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties, a security officer employed by a board of education or governing body of a school during the time that the security officer is on duty pursuant to that contract of employment, or any other person who has written authorization from the board of education or governing body of a school to convey deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone or to possess a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone and who conveys or possesses the deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in accordance with that authorization;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (D)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person.

(2) Division (C) of this section does not apply to premises upon which home schooling is conducted. Division (C) of this section also does not apply to a school administrator, teacher, or employee who possesses an object that is indistinguishable from a firearm for legitimate school purposes during the course of employment, a student who uses an object that is indistinguishable from a firearm under the direction of a school administrator, teacher, or employee, or any other person who with the express prior approval of a school administrator possesses an object that is indistinguishable from a firearm for a legitimate purpose, including the use of the object in a ceremonial activity, a play, reenactment, or other dramatic presentation, or a ROTC activity or another similar use of the object.

(3) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if, at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun, all of the following apply:

(a) The person does not enter into a school building or onto school premises and is not at a school activity.

(b) The person is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.

(c) The person is in the school safety zone in accordance with 922.

(d) The person is not knowingly in a place described in division (B)(1) or (B)(3) to (10) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

(c) The person is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.

(E)(1) Whoever violates division (A) or (B) of this section is guilty of illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone. Except as otherwise provided in this division, illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone is a felony of the fifth degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section, illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone is a felony of the fourth degree.

(2) Whoever violates division (C) of this section is guilty of illegal possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school safety zone. Except as otherwise provided in this division, illegal possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school safety zone is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section, illegal possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school safety zone is a felony of the fifth degree.

(F)(1) In addition to any other penalty imposed upon a person who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of this section and subject to division (F)(2) of this section, if the offender has not attained nineteen years of age, regardless of whether the offender is attending or is enrolled in a school operated by a board of education or for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, the court shall impose upon the offender a class four suspension of the offender’s probationary driver’s license, restricted license, driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, temporary instruction permit, or probationary commercial driver’s license that then is in effect from the range specified in division (A)(4) of section 4510.02 of the Revised Code and shall deny the offender the issuance of any permit or license of that type during the period of the suspension.

If the offender is not a resident of this state, the court shall impose a class four suspension of the nonresident operating privilege of the offender from the range specified in division (A)(4) of section 4510.02 of the Revised Code.

(2) If the offender shows good cause why the court should not suspend one of the types of licenses, permits, or privileges specified in division (F)(1) of this section or deny the issuance of one of the temporary instruction permits specified in that division, the court in its discretion may choose not to impose the suspension, revocation, or denial required in that division.

(G) As used in this section, “object that is indistinguishable from a firearm” means an object made, constructed, or altered so that, to a reasonable person without specialized training in firearms, the object appears to be a firearm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

From the Ohio Attorney General Handbook (2009)

• School safety zones.
    A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school
    premises, school activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute,
    a school includes everything up to the property boundary.
    The law generally forbids the carrying of a handgun in a school
    safety zone unless all of the following apply:
    • You do not enter a school building, premises or activity; and
    • You have a concealed carry license or temporary emergency
    license; and
    • You are not otherwise in one of the forbidden places listed
    above and detailed in R.C. 2923.126 (B); or
    • You are a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle immediately
    in the process of picking up or dropping off a child, and
    you are not otherwise in violation of the laws governing
    transportation of firearms in motor vehicles.

Sixto,

I don't mean to argue, but from what you posted:

(a) The person does not enter into a school building or onto school premises and is not at a school activity.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

Ohio school zone

2923.122. Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or illegal possession of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.

(3) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if, at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun, all of the following apply:
    (b) The person is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923. 125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity
    agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.
    (c) The person is in the school safety zone in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B).

You can carry in a school zone as long as you are in the process of dropping off or picking up a student. You may not exit the vehicle or attempt to enter the building.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" Wayne LaPierre

I'd either home school the kids or move out of state.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    Sixto,

I don't mean to argue, but from what you posted:

I don't want to argue either, and I'm not into giving legal advice. But, I will say this. The ORC is a big book. I know only a few people who have actually read it cover to cover and are able to apply it in a practical fashion. There are many laws that contradict themselves, and most people, including lawmakers, don't know they are there.
    Consult a knowledgeable attorney in this area, or just go with the flow and follow the common advice being taught.

Also, the topic of the post was keeping the gun in the car while attending a soccer game; not necessarily carrying the weapon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto,

Good enough buddy, I appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

-Steve

Park off the schook property and walk.

8 hour lock box timer sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. What happens if you need your gun at hour #3...you die?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Well, my point is that right now I don't carry at all so the lock box would be better than nothing.

Bottom line, it was just a mental exercise, not look for a fight with anyone, just thought I would through the idea out there.

Best regards to all.

SIXTO, where was your post taken from?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links