Does weight really bother you?

This is a discussion on Does weight really bother you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paaiyan I feel like I should be wearing the belt halfway between two of the holes. One is a bit too loose ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does weight really bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I feel like I should be wearing the belt halfway between two of the holes. One is a bit too loose and one too tight. I need to fix it.
    You need to either loses 10 pounds or gain 10 pounds to fix the belt problem. My vote is to gain 10 pounds alot easier and more fun.

The right belt and holster makes you forget that you are carrying.

2. Remove Ads

I regularly carry a full sized M1911, a Glock 22, or a 3" S&W Model 65. All of them are carried in IWB holsters.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Never been bothered by my full size guns.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I feel like I should be wearing the belt halfway between two of the holes. One is a bit too loose and one too tight. I need to fix it.
    I have a belt like that, too. I want to get it to loosen up, but I am afraid it is tightening up.

20 years ago, I could carry my .357 mag S&W Model 27 all day and not notice it. I carried it not too long ago and it sure had increased in weight over the years.

I use an M&P 9c normally, sometimes a Sig P232, without much problem.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I can carry anything as long is i have a good holster and belt. Seems like alot of people shy away from bigger carry guns because of weight and size issues when otherwise they would carry that gun. Why not just get a better holster and belt, and carry the gun you want to carry anyway. I carry nothing but my full size XDM, my 3 inch Ruger, and my 4 inch .22, I just like that .22 as a boot gun. To me, I want the bigger guns, more accuracy and ammo in a situation in which I will need all the help I can get. Dress around the gun, instead of dressing and then picking a gun. Personally I just wear what is comfortable and OC if I cannot hide my gun well. I prefer CC, but sometimes I have to OC to carry the gun I want. Also, is there anyone else here who carries a specific model of gun because you like it really well, but you do not know exactly what it is that you like about it?
    The answer could perhaps be "because not all people think like you", and also "because not everybody might want or can dress like you".
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I carry a XDM and the weight has never bothered me, sometimes I carry without a belt and my pants don't snag at all. It is tight against my skin which helps it not pull down my pants.

I am not like "nutnfancy" were he throws a hissy fit over a single gram.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Right now I'm wearing a full sized fully loaded 1911, two mags for my 1911, a kel-tec p11, and one mag for my P11 and I don't have a problem with it. But I'm pretty young so that may be the reason. <---- not trying to start anyhting with that statement.

I have a good belt and a great holster. When I was carrying my full sized M&P, I used to feel the weight of it but I had a poor holster.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

"Dressing around the gun" is not an option for some of us. I have to wear business attire at work - and since some of my customers and colleagues are gun-phobic, it is better for me to be discreet. Carrying a large gun on my hip where it could get noticed by an innocent hug is not an option for me.

The Smartcarry allows me to carry a Glock 26, which I consider a very capable defensive pistol. When standing or walking I hardly notice it is there. Sitting in the car for long periods is another matter, however - the backstrap of the pistol can push into your bend point and get annoying at times. This can be alleviated by moving the holster a bit left, but you still notice it.

For the utmost in discretion and comfort, nothing beats a thin/light .380 in a pocket (I have a Ruger LCP).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Ive been overweight most of my life so big people dont bother me. I dont mind the extra weight in my gun either I carry a full size 1911. I like the accurasy of it and its thinness. For such a big gun it conceels well

I used to carry a full size 1911 but the holster is what didn't like the weight, not me. After carrying it for a year in a blackhawk serpa holster the paddle broke. I switched to a Glock 19 and have never looked back.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

I totally agree with quality belts and holsters, but the size and weight of your weapon is a very personal thing, which can be influenced by weather, choice of dress, body type, fitness, health issues, your ability to control and accurate shoot what you carry . . . .etc. . . . One gun does not fit all!
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I have a crossbreed supertuck which fits me well

Lead Moderator
    I think once you have carried for 10 years you may have a different opinion. Due to summer heat, clothing choices or how well you wish to conceal with all these factors a smaller , lighter gun does become handy real fast. I used to conceal a HK USP , however a large gun does tend to get in the way at times. Finally, if I recall you cannot/ do not concealed carry yet?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have carried Kimbers, and now Gocks. I almost carried IWB, but about 9 months ago switch to OWB, and this has made a big difference in how I feel about the weight of what I do carry.
    IWB was all tucked inside my belt and held tightly against my body...it was O.K.
    Now I have discovered an OWB carry holster that holds the firearm (Glock-36, or 26) as tightly against my body as any IWB, but with better balance. This has given me more comfort and I hardly notice the weight of my Glock.
    My $.02...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My EDC is a Kel-Tec PF-9 because it is small lightweight and thin. I have carried full size 1911's, 3' revolvers and compact .45's. I prefer to carry something that I don't have to think about all day in the obnoxious heat and humidity of S. Texas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links