Does weight really bother you?

This is a discussion on Does weight really bother you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started carrying with a S&W Md. 66 or a Colt GM. My gear wasn't as good as today but it didn't bother me much. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does weight really bother you?

kpw
    I started carrying with a S&W Md. 66 or a Colt GM. My gear wasn't as good as today but it didn't bother me much. These days, my work boots feel like they are made of lead after a long shift. A heavy gun doesn't bother me much for a few hours or a long day sitting on my butt. If it's a busy day on my feet, even my G19 starts feeling heavier after 12-16 hours or so. I love the plastic pistols! Like rocky says, give it 10 years or so.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

2. Remove Ads

You bet the size/weight of the gun matters to me. #1, unless I'm in the woods or on-duty, I carry concealed. #2, I've responded to and studied enough shootings to realize that the odds of me needing 40 rounds to cope with an off-duty encounter is similiar to the odds of winning the lotto. Go back and read 10 years worth of "the armed citizen" from the American Rifleman. Real everyday people who successfully defended themselves in life or death encounters while using rather basic equipment with resolve and not a little desperation. Those who want to tote heavy metal are welcome to do so. For me I'll carry a bit less weight and bulk and use my awareness and decisiveness instead.

The other day I was carrying my PPK instead of my Kimber and darn near forgot the PPK was there. I carry all my pistols at the 3:30 to 4:00 position and usually never forget I'm carrying, but this time I nearly walked right into a no carry zone. Needless to say, I've decided to slow down on the rotation thingy.

Since then, I've decided that a little weight on the hip is a good thing.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    ...Those who want to tote heavy metal are welcome to do so. For me I'll carry a bit less weight and bulk and use my awareness and decisiveness instead.
    Carrying a heavier, full-size service pistol doesn't necessarily mean carrying high-cap magazines, or some "bigger is better mentality". Hopefully, most of those who carry choose to carry the platform they shoot best and carry best. Of course, weight figures into how one carries, and must be a consideration. I carry a full-size stainless steel pistol and an extra mag, mostly as a backup in case of a mag failure. I don't think my decision to carry a service pistol has in anyway reduced my awareness or decisiveness, or given me a false sense of security.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Tom357 I in no way intended to imply that those who carry heavy are less aware or decisive, my apologies if it came across that way.

I pocket carry a J Frame, so weight is important to me. Airweights ( 637 and 642) are the key to enabling EDC. I don't like looking like a Blackwater mercenary with all the Tacticool clothing that my 1911 carrying buddies all wear so I pocket carry and dress appropriate for my age and locality.

If you wear a coat and tie in my area (rural TN), you scare the bejooses out of all of the local boys out on parole. They think you are a Fed or a Parole Officer! You would clean out Walmart!

Pocket carry lets you stay the "Gray Man" and be friendly. (they are my neighbors' kids after all!)
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Weight isn't the problem,Gravity is the problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think gun weight is a factor for me because I am overweight. I have lost 30 pounds, but still have another 40 to go in my opinion. I am 5-7 and 240 lbs. The weight charts say I should be like 160 lbs which I think is crazy. Only if I am running marathons would I want to be that light. I would be happy at 180-200 pounds.
    Being overweight means my belt hangs below my spare tire not on the point of my hip. If I place my belt at the top of my hip it has to be let out a few notches to fit the spare tire so I place it lower and draw it tight.
    Even without a gun on if I am walking alot I have to "hitch" my pants up every so often. The extra weight of the gun just means I have to do it more often. Someday I hope to lose the extra 40 pounds so I wil be able to wear the belt higher on the hip.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Actually Rocky, I do CC because in Indiana it is 18 to CC or OC, you have to have a license to do both and the license covers both. I do want to know, would it be legal for me to CC on my Indiana license in states with reciprocity? I'm pretty sure that I have to follow the laws of the state I am in, but does that include concealed carry at 21? Would I be able to CC on my Indiana license even though I may not meet that states age to carry limit?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Kind of funny actually ..... I'm a big guy, 6'3" and right now around 245, and I honestly prefer shooting a heavier gun, so weight has never bothered me. However, I've lost over 70 lbs in the last year, and concealing a carry has become more of a challenge.

congrats on the weight loss, i am trying to do the same. I am also a bigger guy, 6'0 275, and weight never bothers me, maybe because I'm used to running around with 275 pounds of it, but I carry based on what i like and what I can shoot well.

now for my second question I originally posted, does anyone carry a weapon that they absolutely love, but cannot explain why? For me, that is my XDM, I know a Glock is more reliable, I have seen Glocks fire rounds my gun cannot even load because of the tolerance of the lip of casings and my feed ramp, but for some reason, I love my XDM. It functions quite well on factory loads, and I have never had a problem with a factory load
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I think it also has to do with your health and body type. I'm a common 5'9" and slightly stocky build though carrying a good bit of extra weight these days. It helps to be in good health and pain free. I am blessed this way up to today though I'm 50 now and beginning to feel it.
    Weight doesn't bother me much, even less so since getting a real gun belt (Don Hume) although a cheaper one. It works great and you get used to it. I counter balance the gun on my right with a knife clipped in my left pocket; cell phone, keys, spare mag(s), flashlight as needed some where on my left side. It all works out pretty good.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

kpw
    Brady, I agree that's got a lot to do with it. At 21, when I was Superman, the weight didn't bother me even when leaping tall buildings in a single bound. These days at 42, now that I'm just a mere human, all those old injuries are coming back to haunt me. That's a warning for you younger guys that treat your body like a crash test dummy. If I didn't keep my weight down, stay active & workout, I doubt I could move today.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I have had a total neck reconstruction and have 3 herniated disc's in my lower back,but as mentioned,as long as you wear a quality constructed leather belt and a good quality holster a full size steel pistol should not pose a problem,at least it doesn't for me.
    For a short period I tried carrying a smaller 9mm Sig but it just didn't cut it for me.I have been shooting the 1911 platform since the early 70's and have become so adapt and proficient with it I see no need to change.My EDC is a 5" 1911, with and xtra 10 rd clip,Everyone knows the 1911 is extremely accurate and is a dependable CCW,and you can't get much better then the .45.
    I'm sure 18rds of .45 is sufficient even with multiple threats,I'm a citizen now,not in the service anymore in a war zone.I'm well versed in making my rds count.
    But to some I can Imagine weight will and can be an issue.Everyone is different.You have to pick the gun and caliber that works best for you,if that's a .380 for some then so be it as long as that's what works best for them.To Each there Own.We all have our own methods.

truer words have yet to be spoken echoone, thanks for what you did in the service for all of us

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links