Carry Belt

This is a discussion on Carry Belt within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... I read alot about getting a good belt for carrying and I was wondering what was meant by that. I fully realize that we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Belt

Carry Belt

So... I read alot about getting a good belt for carrying and I was wondering what was meant by that. I fully realize that we come from a society where guys, even adults, wear their pants around their knees...
    I personally wear belts with every pant that I wear. I have some that have a buckle which I realize isn't as "sturdy" as a normal belt clasp.

I was looking at belts today and thats when it struck me to ask what defines a "good strong belt" for carrying?

2. Remove Ads

A good stiff belt won't sag from the weight of your gun. Their usually two pieces of leather sewn together in either 1.5" 0r 1.75". The buckles are usually of a conventional style. Most holster manufacturers also offer belts. I have a Galco which works well.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

My carry belt is a Wilson combat sharkskin, makes a nice dress belt too.
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Belt-36-...tinfo/B36BS15/
    I've also heard good things about these belts, but I haven't tried one
    http://www.thebeltman.net/
    In a pinch a carhartt would do but it doesn't come close to the purpose made gunbelts.
    Yes they are pricey but when you strap it on with a full size 1911 you will know where your money went.

You can ussualy find a good double layer belt from a law and order supply for leos

I've found it's not just the weight of the gun, but also the stress of everyday use. Things like siting, getting in and out or your car, put a ton of extra wear and tear on a belt. Most off the rack belts won't stand up to that and start to sag pretty quickly.

Gunbelts are a lot more ridged and are made much more durable.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

May leather belts 'seem' to work, but quickly weaken after a short time. A good quality leather belt will last and last...
    At first I tried a seemingly firm leather belt from a Western shop, it didn't last. Then I tried a Looper Leather belt...it's still working.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I started carrying with just my standard belt. It worked OK for a little while, but the weight of the gun really started to show in the shape of the belt. It wasn't as comfortable either b/c i was limited to picking which hole on the belt to use. 1 was too loose, 1 was too tight. I finally broke down and bought a $25 gun belt from Cabela's and it's made a world of difference. Gun stays put, belt is a ton more comfortable, and it's got a velcro adjustment so i'm not limited limited to 1 or 2 sizes. Especially carrying IWB, the belt makes all the difference.

I use an instructor style nylon and a leather gun belt from Crossbreed Holsters. The instructor belt is infinitely adjustable, but the leather is more comfortable and has shaped itself to my waist now.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I have one of these. It works very well for me, and they have a pretty good turn around time.
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=43
    I use the 1.5"
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I too tried to make do with a dept store heavy belt. Been trying this 'Don Hume' out for a few months, what a difference! http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/...hes-B109L.html
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

i use a 511 belt every day it feels great.

I bought mine from Crossbreed with the velcro inside for better concealment. Very stiff and another point of a good holster belt, is if you have the type of holster that clips on, like CBST, the clips hold better due to the near 1/4 inch thick belt.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Well after a day or two of wearing a gun belt vs. a regular western store belt (which was a heavy belt for a woman....) one of my first observations was that a gun belt is stiff enough that you don't have to tuck the "tail" in an extra beltloop for it to stay straight and snug against you. (Which is good, coz stuffing 2 layers of heavy 2-ply leather into my beltloops just wasn't pleasent.)
    I got mine from Crossbreed and I haven't put my old belt on since it arrived. :)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I went to my local Army/Navy store and picked up a good old garrison belt. Does a great job. I have had it since I first started carrying back in 2001. O yeah, it was 10 bucks.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    If you haven't tried one of the Beltman Belts you haven't tried the best. Not only does he offer great quality but some of the very best service. Mine is three years old and looks just like the day I received it. It makes all the difference in the world when holding up a good sized gun - mine carries a full size 1911..
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links