Have you had trouble buying a pistol, even with a CHL?

Have you had trouble buying a pistol, even with a CHL?

This is a discussion on Have you had trouble buying a pistol, even with a CHL? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got the move over with to Vermont from Texas. Well while checking out the area out found a little gunshop and stopped in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you had trouble buying a pistol, even with a CHL?

Angry Have you had trouble buying a pistol, even with a CHL?

I finally got the move over with to Vermont from Texas. Well while checking out the area out found a little gunshop and stopped in to see what if any bargains could be found.
    Well to make a long story short. Since I have not been a resident for 90 days after giving up my drivers license, I'm only permitted to buy long and or shotguns! But can buy as many of those that I want to carry!
    Has anyone experience anything like this? Just wondering is this the only state like this or are there others with the same type of experience?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Some states say Driver's License = resident but others have these stupid laws. If you want to make a federal case out of it (really) you could argue that you can't buy in Texas either since you no longer live there, there fore VT is depriving you of your 2A rights.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    I'm under the impression that you must be a resident of whatever state in order to purchase handguns in said state or adjacent states. I'm also under the impression that 90 days is the standard time frame to be considered a resident.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Being military, we tend to move around alot. Three (general) criteria for residency (states differ)...
    1. Own/Rent property
    2. Change Drivers License
    3. Register to vote in that state/locality

VA laws say I can buy firearms with my AD orders assigning me to a base in VA...never had a problem (with and without a Concealed Handgun Permit)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm under the impression that you must be a resident of whatever state in order to purchase handguns in said state or adjacent states. I'm also under the impression that 90 days is the standard time frame to be considered a resident.
    Move to FL, get your Driver's License on day one...you're a resident.
    Did you mean that you cannot become a resident for 90 days, or that you had to have 90 days OF residency?
    There is a big difference.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    I finally got the move over with to Vermont from Texas. Well while checking out the area out found a little gunshop and stopped in to see what if any bargains could be found.
    Well to make a long story short. Since I have not been a resident for 90 days after giving up my drivers license, I'm only permitted to buy long and or shotguns! But can buy as many of those that I want to carry!
    Has anyone experience anything like this? Just wondering is this the only state like this or are there others with the same type of experience?
    YUP. I went through the same ordeal the last time I moved. Welcome to the jungle.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I thought that one could only buy weapons in their state of residence, but based on the above I'm wondering if I've had that wrong. As a Florida resident can I also buy in Alabama and Georgia? That would be nice as I'm considering a new FNH pistol. The closest FNH dealer is the Bass Pro Shops, which is in Alabama, but only about 40 miles away. The closest *Florida* dealer is considerably farther away. For the record, when I use the term "buy" above, I mean "purchase, pay and walk out with the weapon" as opposed to "pay for the weapons and have it shipped to a Florida FFL." If I can walk in and buy in Alabama, that would be good to know.

Brian

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    I thought that one could only buy weapons in their state of residence, but based on the above I'm wondering if I've had that wrong. As a Florida resident can I also buy in Alabama and Georgia? That would be nice as I'm considering a new FNH pistol. The closest FNH dealer is the Bass Pro Shops, which is in Alabama, but only about 40 miles away. The closest *Florida* dealer is considerably farther away. For the record, when I use the term "buy" above, I mean "purchase, pay and walk out with the weapon" as opposed to "pay for the weapons and have it shipped to a Florida FFL." If I can walk in and buy in Alabama, that would be good to know.

Brian
    Handguns must be purchased in your home state, long guns adjacent states. (Although that might of changed... I'll have to look that up now that I'm thinking about it.)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Move to FL, get your Driver's License on day one...you're a resident.
    Did you mean that you cannot become a resident for 90 days, or that you had to have 90 days OF residency?
    There is a big difference.
    I have no idea about other states, but Ohio you have to have lived in the state for 90 days to be considered a permanent resident. However, I do no think there is an issue purchasing a gun with a ID fresh off the printer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Washington State 90 Days

Washington State RCW 9.41.090

Dealer deliveries regulated Hold on delivery.

(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days.

Different states have different laws.

Oh, I forgot to mention that also included ffl transfers!
    I did bring my EDC on the plane but not all guns, didn't want to have many delays. Now after finding all this out having to see if its legal for me to carry here or if I have to wait the 90 days from turning my license over!
    Just as a side note another person from Texas had dropped off his gun before going to Canada and was there to pick it up and was told he couldn't because of the same rule! They had to call the Big Boys (ATF) there was a loophole for him. They said he had dropped it off for cleaning and repair in a locked case with no key so no work done on it and no paper work or hold. So he was able to pick it up and leave!

Handguns must be purchased in your home state, long guns adjacent states. (Although that might of changed... I'll have to look that up now that I'm thinking about it.)
    Gotcha. Thanks for that clarification.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention that also included ffl transfers!
    I did bring my EDC on the plane but not all guns, didn't want to have many delays. Now after finding all this out having to see if its legal for me to carry here or if I have to wait the 90 days from turning my license over!
    Just as a side note another person from Texas had dropped off his gun before going to Canada and was there to pick it up and was told he couldn't because of the same rule! They had to call the Big Boys (ATF) there was a loophole for him. They said he had dropped it off for cleaning and repair in a locked case with no key so no work done on it and no paper work or hold. So he was able to pick it up and leave!
    I don't get this. Did they lie to the ATF so the guy could pick up his gun? How would you drop it off for a repair and not leave the key? Or was it he simply wanted them to hold it for him until he returned, and used the clean/repair story as a beard?

In either case, it sounds somewhat fishy to me.

Actually, you can purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) in any state that you are legally able to do so, regardless of your home address.

By the way, it's 6 months of residency for handguns in Colorado.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links