Going to House of Blues in Orlando. CCW?

This is a discussion on Going to House of Blues in Orlando. CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anybody been there lately? I've been to Downtown Disney and wouldn't go without carrying, but does anybody know if HOB does searches or anything. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to House of Blues in Orlando. CCW?

Has anybody been there lately? I've been to Downtown Disney and wouldn't go without carrying, but does anybody know if HOB does searches or anything. I plan to carry, but if I have to walk back to the car to put my gun away SWMBO is gonna be

And I don't want that.

I checked the site and the tickets and all it talks about is prohibited recording devices and such.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To my knowledge, it's a restaurant that serves alcohol. I'm not aware of any CC restrictions. But I avoid Mouseland with a passion.

If you've been to Downtown Disney, then you realize that any shot you take is more likely to hit an innocent in that mass of swarming tourists, unless you shoot one inch groups and never miss. In that environment, you're more in danger of being buried in kids than acousted by BGs, who don't care for 50,000 witnesses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    To my knowledge, it's a restaurant that serves alcohol. I'm not aware of any CC restrictions. But I avoid Mouseland with a passion.

If you've been to Downtown Disney, then you realize that any shot you take is more likely to hit an innocent in that mass of swarming tourists, unless you shoot one inch groups and never miss. In that environment, you're more in danger of being buried in kids than acousted by BGs, who don't care for 50,000 witnesses.
    Right, I'd be more concerned about a mass murderer than a mugger
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    In the evening there are not nearly as many kids at Downtown Disney.

Disney security is pretty good there - they had some problems with young thugs hanging out in the Downtown Disney area, but they brought in a lot of off duty deputies and cleaned house.

That said, an after dark walk into a remote parking lot is an after dark walk into a remote parking lot.

I've only been to the House of Blues once, and there were no searches, but it has been a while.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

carry anywhere its legal...you life just might depend on it
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    carry anywhere its legal...you life just might depend on it

I do. But if I'm gonna get turned away at the door for doing it there's going to be a problem with my date. We are planning on dinner before the concert someplace else in DD and I don't plan on drinking. I think they have decent security in the area, been there many times before. Just never been to this particular place. I can get by a typical Disney "look in the bag search" and probably a patdown. And I could honestly take something less than a firearm if I had to. I'd just prefer not to have the hassle of getting turned away at the door for some bogus policy.

CCW of choice will probably be my favorite crowded place gun, P7M8. I may just violate one of my rules and just carry my Kel Tec P32 BUG.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    HoB sells alcohol for consumption on the premises; under FL law it's illegal to carry with or without a permit in any place that sells alcohol for consumption. You may be able to talk your way out of it if you're in the restaurant portion and not the bar, but if there are drinks on the table I would not risk it, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    HoB sells alcohol for consumption on the premises; under FL law it's illegal to carry with or without a permit in any place that sells alcohol for consumption. You may be able to talk your way out of it if you're in the restaurant portion and not the bar, but if there are drinks on the table I would not risk it, myself.
    790.06 also says
    "which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose"

I'm only there for the concert and won't be drinking there, and probably won't be eating there either. Is the whole place just a bar, or is the concert or restaurant separate?

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Incorrect.

You may not enter into the portion of a restaurant that is devoted primarily to the sales of alcohol. For example, Outback typically has a bar area surrounded by tables and a short wall. You can be anywhere in the establishment outside the wall.

For an in-depth discussion of this issue, see Jon Gutmacher's book Florida Firearms.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plus 1 on #s 8 & 9. Florida rules on gund and alcohol are very un-restrictive in general.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Based on the above info, I wouldn't chance CCing there. Just my opinion
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I guess I should have been more succinct and exact in my response, but I thought I was clear: if you're around the alcohol, i.e. you have one on your table, even in the restaurant portion of the establishment, I wouldn't chance it. I wasn't exact and definitive enough in my response; in my mind, anything questionable is not worth the risk.

In Florida you can't CC a weapon where people are paid to entertain. IE Sports event, rock concert, play. If you have tickets to a show that night, the way I understand the law, CC would be illegal.

EDIT: I only found this in handgun law site
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    So I may be misinformed, but in the CC class I attended it was explained as "any place where people are paid to entertain" and a rock concert was specifically mentioned.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    In Florida you can't CC a weapon where people are paid to entertain. IE Sports event, rock concert, play. If you have tickets to a show that night, the way I understand the law, CC would be illegal.
    Please cite the law supporting this?

The Florida court prohibits carry at a sporting event, but makes no mention of "paid entertainment".

FL law does not prohibit cc in in a place where people are paid to entertain, there is nothing in the statute that addresses such an event other than a school, college or professional athletic event. The quote from the law that would bother me in the HoB would be:

any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

If you're in the HoB, sitting at a table watching/listening to a show, you're going to be amongst a number of people that will be drinking. That portion of the joint may not be primarily devoted to booze consumption, and in fact is a portion of the restaurant itself, but I can't imagine where any part of the HoB is anything but a bar at that point. Either way, even if it's not really a bar or bar portion, if you're carrying and questioned, you will probably face some element of a hassle and in my mind it just wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links