When Should/Do You Stop Carrying?

This is a discussion on When Should/Do You Stop Carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Life is all about the roller coaster. One moment your cruising along, life is good, the next you are in the hospital with a heart ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: When Should/Do You Stop Carrying?

Senior Moderator

Life is all about the roller coaster. One moment your cruising along, life is good, the next you are in the hospital with a heart attack or broken leg, you're attending a funeral of a good friend or loved one or are diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Whether it's from emotional stress, medication, an illness, sleep deprivation or a million other things there are times in all of our lives when we are not at the top of our game. There are times when we are on edge, maybe even afraid or depressed.

I am well aware that in certain venues people do not have the luxury of laying down their arms and regrouping. It is very impractical to think of a soldier on the front lines laying down their battle rifle because they don't feel well or because they are emotionally traumatized. Sometimes you just have to get over yourself and move on.

However, here in the civilian world we have a little more wiggle room. We have the luxury to lay our arms down and regroup.

I have often heard of people taking a "carry break" because of one situation or another.

What are your thoughts? Have you ever stopped carrying (temporarily, of course) due to illness, stress, emotions, medication, or anything else? Do you think there are circumstances where people should voluntarily stop carrying for a time?

A long while back we had a post by a man who had a problem with anger and he snapped. He didn't hurt anyone but he verbally threatened someone with the gun that he carries. He was strongly advised by the membership to stop carrying until he had gotten help for his anger.

Do you know yourself well enough to know when you need to take a break or if you need to take a break? When would you feel comfortable telling someone else they might need to lay down their arms for a short time?

Administrator
    The only time I've stopped carrying is when I was on strong pain meds a few different times. But that was a very temporary situation. Once I knew how I reacted to the drug, I made my decision based on my own feelings and those in my 'trusted circle' of friends and colleagues.
    I think if I ever went off the deep end and was making dumb decisions for what ever reason, I would hope that the same circle would rein me in and even disarm me if the situation warranted it. I would do the same for them.

The other aspect I think about often is old age. When is it time to hang it up because of old age? On one hand, the elderly are more vulnerable to attack and the need is greater. On the flip side, we all know that a lot of people have a decline in mental function as well as physical in advanced age. We seem to not have a problem yanking Grandma's drivers license; What about the carry permit?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I haven't had to yet but I'm sure there will come that day. I've given it a little thought before though and boil it down to, if I wouldn't or shouldn't drive a vehicle, I shouldn't carry a firearm. Of course if I couldn't drive because of a broken leg, that's a different story. I'm talking due to either having a few drinks, to being on meds or any other mind / emotional altering situation that could lead to a tragedy, otherwise avoided being in a normal state of mind. I also agree with SIXTO.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Life is all about the roller coaster. One moment your cruising along, life is good, the next you are in the hospital with a heart attack or broken leg, you're attending a funeral of a good friend or loved one or are diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Whether it's from emotional stress, medication, an illness, sleep deprivation or a million other things there are times in all of our lives when we are not at the top of our game. There are times when we are on edge, maybe even afraid or depressed.

I am well aware that in certain venues people do not have the luxury of laying down their arms and regrouping. It is very impractical to think of a soldier on the front lines laying down their battle rifle because they don't feel well or because they are emotionally traumatized. Sometimes you just have to get over yourself and move on.

However, here in the civilian world we have a little more wiggle room. We have the luxury to lay our arms down and regroup.

I have often heard of people taking a "carry break" because of one situation or another.

What are your thoughts? Have you ever stopped carrying (temporarily, of course) due to illness, stress, emotions, medication, or anything else? Do you think there are circumstances where people should voluntarily stop carrying for a time?

A long while back we had a post by a man who had a problem with anger and he snapped. He didn't hurt anyone but he verbally threatened someone with the gun that he carries. He was strongly advised by the membership to stop carrying until he had gotten help for his anger.

Do you know yourself well enough to know when you need to take a break or if you need to take a break? When would you feel comfortable telling someone else they might need to lay down their arms for a short time?
    Depends?

Seriously, I must admit that I'm at the range less since I suddenly lost 50% of my hearing (probably congenital). Nerve loss cannot be corrected. It amounts to a loss of hearing clarity. You say Momma and I hear banana, if anything.

$6,000 hearing aids help but what is gone is gone. I don't want to loose what I have left.

Between that and tinnitus, it tends to put a bit of a crimp in my normal style.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have not yet reached a situation that, from my perspective, warranted disarming. There are occasional locations that require it, such as the courthouse (for CHL renewal) or the airport's secure area (when flying). But otherwise, I have not yet been so emotional or affected that disarming was the right choice. I live a fairly simple life in which it's rare I am off kilter, let alone to the degree I'd be a risk, much less a threat with a firearm to someone else. Can't say whether I'd recognize the signs of needing to (at least temporarily) disarm, but I hope so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Both my sons (age 23) have voluntarily disarmed themselves when very angry, once each. This disarming usually lasted 12 - 24 hours.

I have not had to disarm myself yet, but I could anticipate the problem. Being very sick or very dizzy, or just having an unusually bad day where tempers are not in the usual state of control.

When I am much older than now (55), I anticipate one or both of my sons asking me not to carry anymore, or have one in my home. Not sure how I'll handle that, but I can see it happening.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Earlier this year I had kidney stone surgery and was given Lortab. I did not carry for the three days that I was on the meds.

Recently I threw my back out and was on some very stong meds that caused a lack of focused vision and made me drift off during conversations. For me the decision to lock it up for a litle while was easy. Now that I am on the mend I want to carry but since my range of motion is not very good at the moment I would problaby be more of a danger to myself if I tried to draw. I still carry around the house and when my wife and I go for short walks around the neighborhood provided I have done the excersies I was given but I am still a couple of weeks from getting back into carrying every day. I am ok with that, for now.

I just went thru a break. My best friend and his wife are going thru a divorce and my daughter and her husband are going thru one. Needless to say, my wife and I have been put in the middle of both. Best friend wife hates me so bad that the cops have been to my House five or six times in the last week and a half. She even tried the old "he pulled his gun on me trick" (never happened). Anyways I took it off for a week to let things settle down. I didnt take it off for fear I might do something, I took it off so that they could play there games and loose. Its back on now.

I fully understand the need to disarm sometimes.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I don't carry where it's prohibited by law.
    I don't carry when I've had ANY alcohol to drink.
    I don't usually carry INTO customer sites, unless I know they don't mind.

Otherwise, I carry EVERY time I leave the house. I can't imagine a situation where I could be sorrier that I lawfully carried than that I didn't.

When I am in Ohio (can't carry here in Hawaii), the only times I voluntarily disarm are when I am going somewhere that I have to by law, or when I know I am going to be drinking. I know a lot on here say don't go out after dark, and go to bars and whatnot, but I do, because I have fun going to bars with my friends. So if I am going out for a weekend night, I lock up the weapons.

I have been in thee situation of not being able to disarm during emotionally tough and stressful times, and for the most part I handled it ok, because you just do what you have to do in those situations. My temper has also calmed considerably in the past few years, pretty much since I started carrying, and I have lived in crappy enough conditions I am usually just happy and grateful for all the good things that make up life.

Gives you something to think about though. I imagine it would be a good thing to set lines with family and friends of "if this occurs, don't let me carry".
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The only time I have disarmed myself is while on vacation in the Outter Banks with family and was drinking a lot that week.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Under the influence of any mood/mind altering substance
    Under the care of a Psychatrist

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Under the influence of any mood/mind altering substance
    Under the care of a Psychatrist
    Perhaps both above are too stringent. It really should depend on the specific medications, the dose, and the condition they are being used to treat. Some of the most solid folks around are the ones who are wise enough to know when they need some assistance and go and get it.

A better approach, if you are seeing a shrink, ask if they feel you are well enough. I'm afraid that with the help of our 24/7 news channels looking for sensational stories, lots of good medicines have become demonized. Lots of good people stigmatized.
    icyclaws likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ...What are your thoughts? Have you ever stopped carrying (temporarily, of course) due to illness, stress, emotions, medication, or anything else? Do you think there are circumstances where people should voluntarily stop carrying for a time?...
    Yes, I have and I still do from time to time. In fact, half the time I can't carry because my routine travel places me on restricted areas, so the gun stays at home. Anyway, during my life I have always taken the hard right on many decisions and I seldom do anything in moderation. Now I’m not so likely to lose my temper, but rather, I don’t always trust my judgment. Frankly, I would rather not carry at all but the world we live in pretty much makes that choice unwise. Still, be it one of 'them' or one of us, there’s a reason I decided to include a particular quote in my signature line.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links