New to CCW question on carrying loaded

This is a discussion on New to CCW question on carrying loaded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a fairly experienced shooter, but new to CCW. I searched on the forum but didn't find much about this subject. I've got a new ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to CCW question on carrying loaded

I'm a fairly experienced shooter, but new to CCW. I searched on the forum but didn't find much about this subject. I've got a new Taurus TCP and pocket holster, and I'm a little nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber since there's no external safety. The holster protects the trigger well, but it still gives me the creeps. Do you guys carry in this condition? I also don't like the idea of having to rack the slide in an emergency. Comments appreciated.

Senior Moderator
    You will find that the majority of comments will be along the lines the one should carry with one in the chamber.

I agree. Always chambered, always ready.

This is a mental thing that a lot of first timers have to deal with. The long and short of it is you have to do what you feel comfortable with but know that your discomfort could cost you a lifesaving second or two.

If you know guns you know that your firearm will not randomly go off. If you know your holster and how it's made you know that nothing will get to the trigger. If you know yourself you know that you wouldn't do anything stupid or reckless that could cause a negligent discharge.

Then you know you can carry with one in the chamber without a problem.

I've been carrying with one in the chamber since the day I got my carry permit in the mail.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldmx5 View Post
    I'm a fairly experienced shooter, but new to CCW. I searched on the forum but didn't find much about this subject. I've got a new Taurus TCP and pocket holster, and I'm a little nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber since there's no external safety. The holster protects the trigger well, but it still gives me the creeps. Do you guys carry in this condition? I also don't like the idea of having to rack the slide in an emergency. Comments appreciated.
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

To address your question, I always carry with a round chambered. In the event that you need to use your handgun to defend your life, it is entirely possible that your off hand is going to be busy fending off an attacker, moving a loved one off the X, or it could even be injured at the outset of the conflict.

To overcome your concern with the pistol, I'd suggest carrying it unloaded around your house in the pocket holster. You'll come to see over a bit of time that the gun stays in the holster, and the trigger never gets actuated.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I carry a SIG and Kahr....no external safeties.

I carry loaded...as they are designed to be carried loaded.

Once the search function is restored, you will find a ton of threads on "carrying loaded"

If you don't trust your firearm loaded, you shouldn't be carrying it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Welcome to the forum, and I agree I always carry with one in the chamber and I carry a Glock 19 with no external safeties. A gun without one in the chamber is like having a rock to throw at an attacker..
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Thanks, I did start with carrying it unloaded at home, and practiced the draw from the pocket holster. I'm in central FL and cargo shorts are the norm, hence the small pistol and pocket holster for everyday use. Good with that, I've moved up to a loaded clip. Next step is one in the chamber, and I know that's how I'll ultimately carry. My other pistols all have a thumb safety that I've always practiced flicking off when drawing (one hand). I guess it's just getting used to double action with no safety.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    To overcome your concern with the pistol, I'd suggest carrying it unloaded around your house in the pocket holster. You'll come to see over a bit of time that the gun stays in the holster, and the trigger never gets actuated.

Matt
    This ^^^

And welcome! You'll learn lots here and I'm sure you'll have things to offer too.

Oddly enough, this was never a problem for me. I always carry with one in the chamber....because 'that's how the gun is supposed to be carried.' That was enough for me in the beginning, so I just did it. Now that I know more, I'm already comfortable with it and dont even think about it.

I picked up my new M&P at the gun shop/range (where I had been testing guns for about a month), checked it out, put some rounds thru it, stuck it in my purse holster, and went shopping. I felt that new weight for sure, but wasnt bothered by carrying +1 at all.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I carry with one in the chamber at all times. However, I have to admit that it freaks me out when I'm pocket carrying my Kel-Tec P3AT. The problem is when I sit down it causes the gun to point out perpendicular from my body. I have a toddler who is always running up to me and I have to turn to the side just to keep the gun from pointing at him. I have complete confidence that the gun will not fire in my Desantis Nemesis holster but it is disconcerting to say the least.

Think of it this way...If you were to carry a revolver it would be fully loaded ready to fire.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. You'll find that many forum members will recommend that its important to carry chambered. There is at least one YouTube video showing what can happen when you don't. If the whole auto-loader thing' is a concern, then perhaps a revolver may be a better choice. I'm not pushing for a particular platform, but some folks seem to feel more comfortable with a loaded revolver vs, a semi-auto.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Think of it this way...If you were to carry a revolver it would be fully loaded ready to fire.
    Excellent point, I really hadn't thought about that. Thanks for everyone's replies, I've been enjoying this forum since I discovered it. Learning more every day.

Welcome, I can't stress how important it is to carry 1+. As mentioned before your weapon is designed to be carried in this fashion. If for any reason you have to go hands on before you draw your weapon, you have nothing but a hammer.

I was also nervous

I carry a TCP in a pocket holster everyday with a round chambered. I was nervous at first but it soon went away. Hopefully you will become comfortable quickly. If you don't become comfortable you can trade in the TCP for a S&W Bodyguard 380 which has an external safety.

It took me a couple weeks to get used to the idea of carrying chambered. No external safety on my S&W M&P .40c either. After hearing a lot of opinions, every "accidental" discharge I've ever heard of can be attributed to someone breaking one of the cardinal rules. I've carried 9+1 ever since.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Always carry loaded. I have a Ruger LCP I pocket carry, and my other OC/CC weapon is a Walther PPS. Neither have a safety, except for the trigger safety of the Walther PPS, but that doesn't really count with what you are talking about.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links