Irresponsible move? you decide

This is a discussion on Irresponsible move? you decide within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this is in the wrong place I apologize. Last weekend I stopped by a local Police Department to pick up a new range pass. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irresponsible move? you decide

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

Irresponsible move? you decide

If this is in the wrong place I apologize.

Last weekend I stopped by a local Police Department to pick up a new range pass. A cop and a firefighter were behind the counter and the 2 of them were jokingly giving each other a hard time.

As I was standing on the other side of the counter the cop turns to the firefighter and says "say something else" and pulls his glock from his holster and sets it on the counter in front of him. Basically threatening him(he was joking of course).

I don't mind a good sense of humor and I'm a sarcastic person myself but this just seemed extremely unprofessional and reckless. I was standing facing the barrel of the gun on the opposite side of the counter so therefor had the gun discharged I would be missing one of my family jewels right now or worse.

And let me say this is not another cop bashing thread, I have a lot of respect for all LEO's.

I'm just curious what some of the LEO's on this board thought about this. I'm not going to call and complain to the PD or anything but I'm guessing this guy would be in a world of :poop: with his sergeant if he got caught.

2. Remove Ads

I would have been nervous. A joke is funny, a loaded Glock is deadly and no joke. That is how people get hurt

A cop in Fountain Colorado pulled his gun a s a joke recently he was fired by the end of the day If you had names I would make a complaint

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I would have been nervous. A joke is funny, a loaded Glock is deadly and no joke. That is how people get hurt
    That's what I was thinking. At the time I laughed too, only because I was nervous and uncomfortable. Honestly, I was shocked by how unprofessional it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    A cop in Fountain Colorado pulled his gun a s a joke recently he was fired by the end of the day If you had names I would make a complaint
    I don't want to get anyone fired. I'm not that type of person, but I definitely think he deserves and earful from his boss

Irresponsible and impolite.
    I recall often getting together with guys in the coffee room to rehash the nights events. Protocol was that if you set a weapon on the table, it was set pointing at or near yourself.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I used to work in kitchens for a living, trained as a cook in the AF. The only times - and unfortunately there were multiple ones - I saw someone get hurt in a kitchen is when they were screwing around.

Difference here is the hurt can be deadly. It was a stupid move and I'd have probably opened my big mouth and said something.

Of course it was irresponsible. A certain DEA agent comes to mind who said, "I'm the only one here in this room qualified enough to handle a Glock Forty" and then proceeded to shoot himself in the leg.

I've seen people pull their guns out of their holsters before to make a point during a joke or even as a teaching point. I just don't think it is necessary to do that. Especially when kidding around or using it as a punch line to a joke.

I will say, it's easy for people who are around and carry guns day in and day out to get complacent with them. You must always be on guard against it. You must fight the urge and keep your head outta your butt because that's exactly the time Mr. Murphy is going show up and gum up the works.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One does not play with firearms, period! I'd file a complaint before he kills somebody with his reckless behavior!!!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Before I filed a complaint on the guy, I would have spoken up and mentioned it to him directly. I hate going behind peoples backs and blind siding them. Be a man and stand up to him or let it slide. I don't think an isolated incident warrants a formal complaint to his superiors. But that's just me. YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Of course it was irresponsible. A certain DEA agent comes to mind who said, "I'm the only one here in this room qualified enough to handle a Glock Forty" and then proceeded to shoot himself in the leg.

I've seen people pull their guns out of their holsters before to make a point during a joke or even as a teaching point. I just don't think it is necessary to do that. Especially when kidding around or using it as a punch line to a joke.

I will say, it's easy for people who are around and carry guns day in and day out to get complacent with them. You must always be on guard against it. You must fight the urge and keep your head outta your butt because that's exactly the time Mr. Murphy is going show up and gum up the works.

Did you mean this particular DEA agent???? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU

Guns aren't toys, and they certainly aren't props for jokes. If the officer in question placed the gun in such a manner that it was pointed at you, then he violated one of the rules of safety.

Doesn't matter if your job requires you to carry a gun around all day, doesn't matter if you've carried a gun for 40 years or more, you never violate the rules of safety if you can avoid it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I was a member of the local Community Emergency Response Team for a while. Why I quit is another story but anyway….

I was called out for a search one night. I was teamed up with two of the local police force officers and we were searching a housing project area. I was walking ahead of the officers when I turned around and saw one of the officers with his .40 Glock/flashlight mounted on the rail, pointing it under a house. Needless to say I almost crapped right there. After regaining my composure I realized that he was just using the flashlight to look under the house.

I considered this TOTALLY inappropriate. A day or two later I went to the police station and spoke with an officer a little way up the food chain from the officer on the street. I explained to him what had happened and what I thought about it. I would not give him the name of the officer involved but I did suggest that a remedial training session on keeping a weapon holstered might be in order. I also explained to him that I was licensed to carry (I was armed that night but no one knew it) and was not someone that wet their pants at the sight of a gun.

GoBigOrange I think a visit to the police is in order for you as well.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

I've see a lot worse...to be honest, the part that surprises (and bothers) me most is that he did it with an outsider present.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    By nature, I tend to be a bit of a joker, however, this is no laughing matter. BUT... IMHO, the best way to diffuse the issue would be with a joke... ala. "Hey, I didn't say a word! Watch where you are pointing that thing!" This should be enough to snap the dumdum out of it and he should put the gun away.

On top of that, I would have to mention it to someone above his paygrade. He may be a good cop, but based on his lack of common sense, I'm not sure I want him to protect and serve me.

JMO

~B~
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links