Concealed Carry on Campus

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on Campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Concealed Carry on Campus By Marleah Blades With the recent hype surrounding so-called "open carry" laws, it is easy to overlook some states' proposed changes ...

Thread: Concealed Carry on Campus

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

By Marleah Blades

With the recent hype surrounding so-called "open carry" laws, it is easy to overlook some states' proposed changes to laws regarding the concealed carrying of firearms.

As of this writing, the Kansas State Senate is considering a bill to allow anyone over 21 yeard old with a concealed gun license to bring a weapon to any of the state's public higher education institutions. If the bill passes, Kansas will become the second state in the nation to legally require public colleges and universities to accept concealed weapons on campus. Utah is the first.

A bill introduced in the Michichigan Senate last year would remove college campuses from the state's list of "no-carry zones." Texas, Ohio and Missouri are among the other states that have had similar bills in consideration over the last legislative term.

While this does not necessarily indicate a strong trend - after all, many of these bills will not gain final passage - it is worth noting that bills supporting concealed carry on campus have cropped up regularly across the country. They have also gained popular support since the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, in which a student shooter killed 32 unarmed classmates and teachers.

However, a Campus Safety Magazine survey conducted last summer indicates that the majority of campus safety personnel oppose laws allowing concealed firearms on campus. "Of the 58 percent of higher-education respondents to the survey...64 percent of that group say they do not support conceed carry for non-law enforcement," the magazine reports. "Even the majority of supporters from colleges (22 percent overall) say they would only sanction concealed carry under certain conditions. Only 14 percent of respondents offered unqualified support." (To read the full report on the survey results, visit http://www.campussafetymagazine/News/?NewsID=3279.)

Proponents of concealed carry on campus point to the Virginia Tech massacre and say that it could have been avoided or at least shortened had one of the students or teahcer nearby had a weapon with which to defend themselves. Opponents argue that while police are trained in dealing with highly stressful, active shooter situations, the average gun owner is not. In their view, a campus shooting incident may actually be escalated by the well-meaning intervention of an untrained bystander.

Newly passed concealed carry laws could have varying degrees of impact on security operations at colleges and universities, depending on the specific content of the laws. The law being considered by the Kansas State Senate would allow universities to opt out of concealed carry for buildings with "adequate amount to increased spending on security technology in certain high-risk facilities to avoid concealed carry allowances. In other states, new security staff and university employee training may represent the bulk of the impact.

Keep an eye on your state legislature to see if concealed carry on campus laws could impact you.

Source: Security Technology Executive
    June/July 2010

Marleah Blades is senior editor of the Security Executive Council, a problem-solving research and services organization that involves a wide range of risk management decision makers. For more information about the Council, visit www.securityexecutivecouncil./?sourceCode=std.

2. Remove Ads

For some reason it wouldn't let me put the whole article in quotes? I don't know what I did wrong.

The mass killers expect no resistance and typically kill themselves when they run into resistance. Thus, it doesn't matter much if the person with the permit is highly trained or not- just encountering someone who isn't cowering in fear takes them off their plan. I don't recall the link, but a study was done recently on mass shootings. The conclusion was that you don't wait for a bunch of people, you take the first two and close quickly to engage, as on average one person will be killed every 30 seconds the mass shooting goes on.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

www.concealedcampus.com

This is one of the groups pushing for CC on campus. I used to be the Oklahoma director. Good group.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Good luck!

Hope you get it and that more States follow.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    If the bill passes, Kansas will become the second state in the nation to legally require public colleges and universities to accept concealed weapons on campus. Utah is the first.
    w00t w00t!
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

It's funny that they always bring up mass shooting events in stories about concealed carry on campus, but I just listened to an inteview with the national president of Students for Concealed Carry on an old episode of The Handgun Podcast (Episode 18) and he says that is not their focus. They're more concerned with the everyday assaults and rapes that happen on campus or just off campus which is more reasonable.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I keep expecting legal or political activity on campus carry here in Georgia. Georgia Tech students have been suffering under a rash of robberies, etc that have been highly publicized. Seemingly everyday for the past several months another student -- or group of students -- is attacked and there has been lots of news about it. I would think that the high public awareness of the problem would be a benefit to those groups advocating campus-carry-law changes.

I think it's interesting that their rationale for not wanting concealed carry on campus is that it "might" cause more harm than good. There's not evidence, statistics or anything that they're basing this on other than a probability that they suspect? You would never see them getting by with dismissing anything else with such a weak flimsy argument. Irrational fear seems to be the ruling power and authority when it comes to this matter. The only people that the non-carry policy will have an effect on are the law abiding citizens that aren't the source of the problems to begin with, etc.

I am a proponent of this movement. Currently being a college student, I have noticed a lack of security on my campus. 'Campus Safety' officers carry no form of weapon, only flashlights, which is a joke in my opinion. Not to mention that they are out of shape and most likely inept of stopping any sort of crime from happening. They bring no sense of safety to the school at all. I would feel much more comfortable if responsible students and citizens were armed on campus. Faculty expect us to be responsible adults and treat us as such, so why aren't we able to practice our God given right to arm ourselves like any responsible adult anywhere else in the country?

Well, being a professor in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, I certainly continue to hope that we will one day see the folly of our "no guns" signs at the campus borders and allow those with a CCDW to exercise their rights!

When I was a student, I always felt like the "No firearms policy" was/is an infringement of my rights. It amazes me the sovereignty that we allow universities. A handicap tag, for example, is good for the entire state of KY except UK campus. How hypocritical is that?? As if UK wasn't a part of the state of Kentucky. Irks me doesn't even come close to how I feel about these issues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MgoBlue View Post
    Well, being a professor in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, I certainly continue to hope that we will one day see the folly of our "no guns" signs at the campus borders and allow those with a CCDW to exercise their rights!
    Seconded from a professor in the State of Florida.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Links