Alabama laws - help requested

This is a discussion on Alabama laws - help requested within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I'll be heading to the great state of Alabama tomorrow morning to attend an Appleseed shoot. Unfortunately my Ohio license isn't good there, but ...

Thread: Alabama laws - help requested

All,

I'll be heading to the great state of Alabama tomorrow morning to attend an Appleseed shoot. Unfortunately my Ohio license isn't good there, but I'll be carrying through KY and TN on my way there. Looking at the Alabama code, it's difficult to determine the proper way to store and transport a firearm without a valid CCW. Is it okay to keep it unloaded in the trunk? How about locked in the glovebox? Any advice appreciated.

Joe

VIP Member
    Unloaded and locked in the trunk will work. Locked in glove box is not. Can't site chapter and verse, but have asked my brother-in-law chief deputy with Dallas County Sheriff's Department. The section of the code is not real clear, but it is 13A-11-74 License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person- Exceptions. It states: "The provisions of Section 13A-11-73 shal not apply to" and then lists exception to the requirement ot have a permit. Toward the end of this section there is a passage that states: "or any person permitted by law to possess a pistol while carrying it unloaded in a secure wrapper, from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to or from a place of repair or in moving from one place of abode or business to another." The catch is what is a secure wrapper? My brother-in-law says that based on case law (I do not have the case) the glove compartment is not considered a secure wrapper. My Center-of-Mass in car gunsafe is considered a secure wrapper and so is the trunk. I can understand why the glove box is not considered secure. The lock is a joke and it would not take a person of exceptional strength to just break the glove box door.

Anyway I hope that helps.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Makes sense - thanks Dr!

The only thingthat I can come up with as to why the glovebox is not concidered a safe wrapper would be that it would be to easy for somebody in the automobile to get to and load. As with the truck it would be far more difficult to get to.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

an Appleseed Shoot??? What did those poor appleseeds ever do to you!

Hi, Joe. Here's a link to the Alabama Attorney General's website concerning reciprocity. On it, you'll find a link to a .pdf file on Alabama Gun Laws.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64
    .. and, welcome to our fair state! I think you'll find us a pretty nice, laid-back bunch of folks.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Quote Originally Posted by crookcatchr
    The only thingthat I can come up with as to why the glovebox is not concidered a safe wrapper would be that it would be to easy for somebody in the automobile to get to and load. As with the truck it would be far more difficult to get to.
    Crookcatcher, I can't swear that this is the reason, but Alabama now requires that one carry proof of insurance and a tag receipt for an inspecting officer, and it may be that they didn't want to stand there and watch a motorist reach under a handgun to get it. That wouldn't be the "legal" reason, of course, but as you can imagine if you know how state governments work, it could be a VERY likely reason.

Best,
    Jon

BigJon,

Had a wonderful trip. Shooting for two full days in that weather was just about unbearable though! Hot and humid. We had to cover our rifles in between courses - otherwise they'd be too hot to touch. The dirt also leaves somthing to be desired - that red clay sure does reflect the sun right back at ya. Kind of like being in an easy bake oven.

Thanks again for the welcome.

As far as the appleseed shoot - it is definitely worth checking out. It's hard to describe, but it's a lifechanging kind of thing.

http://www.rwva.org

I will try to get a full report in the training section later.

Joe

Sounds Great, Joe! We were fortunate enough to have Randy Cain come to Montgomery a few years back for a Practical Rifle course, and MAN, let me tell you, I KNOW what you mean about shooting down here in the summer! We were at an outdoor range for a bit, and then we moved to what was basically just a large sedge field in the country. The sedge had been mowed to about 4-6 inches for us, and the ground had baked to a hard pan. Talk about HOT! MAN!

Glad you had fun. Come see us again.

Best,
    Jon

Links